• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What's Up with Bill Earl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

Whenever I go to youtube, I always make sure that I put on 'Rise', because it's a great video to watch at the end of the day.In the video are of course Herb, Lani, and there's a guy 'playing' guitar in the video.(of course we know that he's 'play synching'; not really playing at all)

But he seems to be having fun, along with everybody else, and is also with the others on the beach dancing, and also when Herb is driving on the A&M lot, in the beginning of the video, that same guy is there with him in the car!

Of course, we all know who it is, it's Bill Earl, the guy whom Herb thanks on a lot of his albums.Thanks to some of you in the forum, I've discovered that Bill was the associate road manager for The Tijuana Brass, and I believe that he was an executive of some sort at A&M. What's he doing nowadays? Are he and Herb still close? Would like to know, because seeing him in the video puts a smile on my face(as well as others, judging from the responses the video gets at youtube)and just having fun grooving along with Herb in the photo session(also with Lani as well, because I saw a book by one of the photographers at the session, and there were pictures of Herb in the book, and there was a photo of Herb kissing Lani, and Bill is pulling her hand, playfully.)

Like I always say, would like to know!

When I interviewed Herb for the "Fandango" album in Atlanta, Bill Earl was along for the ride. We chatted for a few minutes ("Oh yeah! I know who you are!") And somehow the conversation turned to the chippewa, which was the instrument that Bill played on Pisano & Ruff's "Under the Blanket." When I gave Herb a mix tape I'd made (stupid thing to do...I'm sure he thought I was trying to get him to listen to some artist or something), he handed it to Bill and said "hang on to this."

I met Bill Earl at the 2002 Julius Wechter tribute concert. He was a really nice chap and seemed genuinely flattered that I recognised him (although I remeber checking with Steve first!!). He told me about touring in the 1960's and mentioned an experience with the British unions in the 1960s or 1970s.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet him.

Stephen

Thanks for the info, gents, but what I really want to know is: what is Bill up to NOW? Is he still living? Was he at Herb and Lani's performance a few weeks ago? A lot of people that see the "Rise" video on youtube like Bill's performance in the video as much as they like Herb's performance(as well as Lani's).

Also,was or was he not an executive at A&M(like Harold Childs or Bob Garcia) and what position did he hold there; head of pop music division, head of black music division, head of jazz music division, et al; well, you get the idea. As I always say: would like to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom