• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Whats Your Least Favorite Richard Carpenter Album*

What’s your least favorite album

• Total voters
I prefer the first two....but I don't care for the Piano Songbook, I am sure some love it and that is great....but it just does not do anything for me. I remember living in Regina, Sk, and going out to buy a cassette of PACC which I special ordered and it was a nice listen....I also enjoyed RC's TIME album....

This is an interesting topic but generally l love all three. However, I think my least favorite is PACC. I think probably because it is too "safe." Time is all out "modern" (1980's) pop, while RCPSB is completely opposite. I enjoy RCPSB way more than I thought I would and wish it was actually had a longer playlist! PACC is somewhere "in-between" the two and I always thought an album like PACC would be better as a collection of "new" material rather than an instrumental "re-hash" of the hits. Still, though, I love all three as I love Richard's genius arrangements as much as I love Karen's singing.

"Time" Is likely my favorite out of Richard's Solo efforts. For his work with Dusty Springfield on "Something In Your Eyes"... I know that there was the rumor that this song was in existence and was intended for Karen to record... She didn't live long enough to do so.. (I have been told that rumor has been debunked as untrue) Still Dusty does wonderful job on it..

It holds a special spot for me too for the fact that I used the song in a Star Trek Role Playing group I was part of for about 2 years.. I played the CMO (Chief Medical Officer) of a starship. He was half Betazoid/half Human and had been genetically bonded as child to marry at the age of five once he and the girl were both of age... The lyrics of the song were the perfect expression of how Jason Raygard felt about his intended Carly... When they finally reconnected at the age of 25 and 23 respectively.. they went ahead with their marriage and ended up having two kids...

For his work with Dusty Springfield on "Something In Your Eyes"... I know that there was the rumor that this song was in existence and was intended for Karen to record... She didn't live long enough to do so.. (I have been told that rumor has been debunked as untrue) Still Dusty does wonderful job on it..

It’s the other track on the album you’re thinking of, ‘In Love Alone’ by Dionne Warwick.

So what’s your least favorite of Richard’s 3 solo albums?
Can’t choose one, I think that they all have their strong points. I suppose if I was being hyper-critical, I would have loved it if Richard had used his opportunity with PS to have done versions of some other non-Carpenter songs. I only say that because he’s such a fantastic pianist that I would love to hear his interpretations of other hits. However, I still love it. Love anything he does.

Back
Top Bottom