• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Where to Find the Rarities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

Given my previous question about Make Believe Its Your First Time, I thought we should start a thread about what CDs carry what unique versions of songs, etc. (Extended versions, reprises of songs, snippets of something unreleased, new remixes, etc.) With so many compilations and songs being tweaked for this or that release, it is confusing. I'm not home, but I wanted to start this thread before I forgot. My first entry will be on the response to this post...

Mark

The non-spoken intro version of Make Believe Its Your First Time is on Yesterday Once More (Remastered Classics). Seems a "cleaner" version than on the others. At least in my opinion.

"I Kept On Loving You" - clean open version is on the Japanese Single Box.

"Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" - original single version is on the Japanese Single Box.

"For All We Know" - reprise from the TV special is on the 2000 release of SINGLES 1969-1981 (not the SACD).

"Goodbye To Love" - opening breath version is on the original '80s ANTHOLOGY release from Japan and on the FROM THE TOP box set.

Harry

Somebody needs to make an Excel chart with all of the C's songs and their various "statuses." Original, remix, re-remix, re-re-remix, available or not, single or album version, etc.

Maybe a listing of all the albums and collections, with notations on what version of each song appears thereon.

It would be fun to tackle, but I'm not enough of a Carpenters collector to even come close to having all the stuff or knowing which mix is which!

Mark this is a great idea for a post!!

The only place to find the edited version of "Look to your Dreams" (without the heart wrenching ending piano piece) is on the US single 45.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only place to find the cool remix version of "Another Song" from 1995 is on the memory series CD, this is a really rare one cause I don't think many CD's were made of that collection from Memory Series CD set.

Correct. Richard's remix of "Another Song" is on the Japanese Sweet Memory set. It's a great remix, too!

Harry

The remix of 'Another Song' is great!

I also particularly like the single version of 'Occupants' from the Japanese box set.

The non-choir version of "Ave Maria" can only be found on the original LP, cassette and West German CD of CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT. All other versions have the added choir.

Harry

Maybe a listing of all the albums and collections, with notations on what version of each song appears thereon.

Not to be shamelessly self-promoting, but such a site has existed for many years now...

http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

I do intend to one day catalog the songs and remixes into a list which shows each song title, and then the albums on which it can be found. For now, though, you just have to go through compilation by compilation to find all the remix information.

And how about that obscure 1992 remix of "Merry Christmas, Darling" on the Time-Life CHRISTMAS WITH THE CARPENTERS?

David

davidgra said:

Not to be shamelessly self-promoting, but such a site has existed for many years now...

http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

I do intend to one day catalog the songs and remixes into a list which shows each song title, and then the albums on which it can be found. For now, though, you just have to go through compilation by compilation to find all the remix information.

I refer to it often!

Let's add to this thread the remix of "I Can't Make Music" found on the Japanese TREASURES album. I don't think that's found anywhere else, was it?

Harry

There is also a rare alternate take of "You're Wonderful Parade", that I stumbled upon on a old 45 single backed with Ticket to Ride. It has never appeared on any CD, Richard's speaking part was cut short and voice sounds like an alternate take.

Ochra Label A&M 1142

Anyone know if the single version of "Ticket to Ride" (without the extended intro) has ever made to it CD. I doubt it - but someone out there may know.

John from Aus said:
Anyone know if the single version of "Ticket to Ride" (without the extended intro) has ever made to it CD. I doubt it - but someone out there may know.

Not at this point in time.

Harry

Maybe we covered this already but I assume the original Japanese single 45 of Ticket to Ride contained the extended intro unlike the US version.

I have a US version 45 of Ticket in both the normal 45 pressing backed w/ You're Wonderful Parade (as mentioned above) and I have a US Mono 45 of Ticket to Ride both of which DO NOT contain the extended intro.

It would be interesting to know if there were any Japanese 45 singles ever pressed without the intro, leading us to understand more about that Japan Singles box set. I'm assuming none ever because of what we obtained from the box set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom