• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Which solo songs are closest to the TJB sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I've been listening to a good bit of Herb's solo work lately and wondered what others thought on this topic. Certainly some songs from the solo era must remind the listener of the TJB sound from the '60s, particularly some of the more Latin material like FANDANGO and PASSION DANCE.

So basically, if you were compiling a solo compilation that sounded the most like the TJB sound, which tunes would you include?

Harry
...who was 'informed' by the PD at the station that Herb's birthday is coming up, online...

This will be a tough one, seeing that Herb specifically tried to avoid the TJB sound in his solo work. I used to think Fandango was the most TJB like, but it's not. It did prove that he could create a Mexican-themed album and not have it be the TJB for the 80's. TJB's basic premise was always old-school Mexico, bullfights, tequila, etc. As for his trumpet style, the title track to Fandango sounds most TJB-ish.

"Blow Your Own Horn" from the same album has sort of a TJB style to it for some reason. Also a vote for "Maniac" since it sort of goes back to the old practice of putting a new arrangement on a familiar tune...except this one doesn't really have a different arrangement. Trumpet styling again is basic TJB, though. Can't say the rest of the Bullish album is TJB-ish though, except maybe the last two songs on the album.

Harry said:
So basically, if you were compiling a solo compilation that sounded the most like the TJB sound, which tunes would you include?

I think the TJB sound will always be Herb's sound - or albatross, depending on how you look at it. But I think some of his solo tunes have a distinctive and a more modern TJB feel to them. I submit the following:

The Continental
True Confessions
Make A Wish
Paradise 25
Noche De Amor
Interlude (For Erica)
I Need You
Fragile
Sugar Cane
This One's For Me
Struttin' On Five
Rocket To The Moon
Kalimba
Sueno Precolombino
Musique
Sundown
Fun House
...and as mentioned, just about anything from Fandango and Passion Dance.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Maynard Ferguson - MF Horn Series 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom