• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Whistling Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numero Cinco

Listening again last night to the remastered "So What's New?" caused me to wonder: Who did the theme-whistling on the TJB tracks? Besides "SWN?," there's "Acapulco 1922," "Mexico," "Up Cherry Street" (bridge on South of the Border), "Whistle Star," and others I can't remember just now. Is that Herb? A professional siffleur? The janitor at Gold Star?

This, obviously, is not a very big deal. But where else can one ask such questions and get an informed reply (or guess)?

Could have been Toots Thielmans...the guy who wrote LADYFINGERS. He was known for his whistling and guitar playing in the '60's...that''s the first person to come to mind.

Dan

I've long suspected the "Special Thanks to Mayuto" credit on the "Whistlestar" 45 indicated that this Mayuto was doing the whistling on that one. Kind of figured Herb (or maybe brother Dave) was whistling on "Acapulco 1922"

--Mr Bill

Toots is a great whistler, his hit of Bluesette contains his combo guitar/whistle lead.

There was another jazz whistler named Ron McCroby who had an album on the Concord label. He also appeared on the Tonight Show. He called his instrument the puccolo. He died a few years ago.

I have an incredible album of Toots with Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass and Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen. You've never heard harmonica playing until you've listened to Toots Thielemans. This guy will knock your socks off! Bebop harmonica at its best! :)

Capt. Bacardi
...also remembering the Toots & Svend A&M album online...

The Captain: I have an incredible album of Toots with Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass and Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen.

What's the name of the album? Do you know if it's still in print on CD?

Numero Cinco said:
What's the name of the album? Do you know if it's still in print on CD?

It's called Live At The North Sea Jazz Festival, The Hague, Netherlands 1980 on the Pablo label. It's a 2-LP set. Don't know if it's on CD - there's 350 titles by Oscar Peterson on Amazon and I ain't about to look for it. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
It's called Live At The North Sea Jazz Festival, The Hague, Netherlands 1980 on the Pablo label. It's a 2-LP set. Don't know if it's on CD - there's 350 titles by Oscar Peterson on Amazon and I ain't about to look for it. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

Your details about the album were quite specific; I found the CD easily on Amazon. And you're right. That is a dynamite album. Anyone who thinks harmonica can't be a jazz instrument has never heard Thielman. And Peterson is, well, Peterson.

Thanks for the tip. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom