Who's "Brasilia" Sounds the Best? Herb's or Julius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Cool

Listening to Brasilia by the BMB and comparing it to Herbs, I like Julius version better. Herbs version sounds more like a polka,while Julius version sounds more mariachi. Other songs that are played by both groups like Spanish Flea for intance, I like Herbs version the best, and as for Up Cherry Street I like Herbs better again. The tempo is faster and the sound is more Dixieland.

Kid Curry

Johnny Cool said:
Listening to Brasilia by the BMB and comparing it to Herbs, I like Julius version better. Herbs version sounds more like a polka,while Julius version sounds more mariachi. Other songs that are played by both groups like Spanish Flea for intance, I like Herbs version the best, and as for Up Cherry Street I like Herbs better again. The tempo is faster and the sound is more Dixieland.

As far as "Brasilia" goes, I'll take the TJB version - with the trombone part and the extra trumpet parts. It's far more lively. I don't think it sounds anything like a polka myself. "Spanish Flea" - a no-brainer. Herb's is THE definitive version. "Up Cherry Street", again I'd take the TJB version from the You Smile - The Song Begins album, just for Dave Frishberg's piano alone.

Capt. Bacardi

My favorite "Up Cherry Street" is TJB's from South Of The Border--I like the way it swings. :)

My preferences:

Up Cherry Street - TJB - South of the Border album.

Brasilia - depends; they're different; the Baja Marimba version has the more "Mariachi" sound; I do like this version very much; whereas the TJB version seems "jazzier." I like them both - it depends on what I feel like listening to at the moment...

Spanish Flea - nothing like the original TJB, IMO, it's the best...

Let's not forget the BMB has two versions of Brasilia -- the LP version and the faster more hyper single version that backed "Yes Sir, That's My Baby."

--Mr Bill
who usually prefers the hyper single version but enjoys ALL versions, on and off line...

I think it depends on which mood I'm in...both versions of BRASILIA are great. It's all a matter of interpretation, I guess...the tune may be the same, but the mood is totally different...like Julius' version takes place on Saturday afternoon, and Herb's on the same street corner at midnight.

Also, remember that the SOTB version of UP CHERRY STREET marks the first appearance of John Pisano with the TJB. That alone makes it a very important tune.

Dan

To me it's nearly always "the original version" that sounds best. While I loved "Up Cherry Street" in the "You Smile" version, it's still the carefree mood from the SOTB recording that is the definitive version.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Herb and Julius are both incredible composers/musicians, and arrangers and while Julius wrote "Brazilia" and does a great job on it, I prefer Herb's version. It just has that toe tapping flow that is Herb Alpert. I love his sort of "scat" (for lack of a better term) handling of "Brazilia" and I love Julius solos. It's the perfect mix. Herb's horn and Julius's marimba. I also love Herb's presentation of "Up Cherry Street" over Julius's. I do love Julius's music and his genius on marimba. On the other side of the coin, I don't think anyone else can sing "I Don't Want To Walk Without You, Baby" but Julius. He owns that song!

Tom :D

It seemed as though they were trying to fill a 'B' side with the up tempo "Brasilia" on 45 RPM. I'm glad they did. I still prefer it. Especially because you are hearing the travelling band play it. The same band I had the pleasure of seeing one time long ago here in Chicago. I'd love to see it cleaned up and re-released somewhere.

As for "I Don't Want to Walk Without You". It was a WWII hit. You might want to check out Helen Forrest with the Harry James band before you decide. I like JW's version also. I think he was spoofing his friend Herb with his hit on "This Guys in Love With You".

The best part of the new TJB's "Up Cherry Street" is the work of pianist Dave Frishberg. That's the version I'd choose.

Captain Bacardi said:
"Spanish Flea" - a no-brainer. Herb's is THE definitive version...

Definitely...but let us not forget the classic twist Sergio introduced with "One Note Samba" -- a nice combination of the two. Instrumental-wise, I'm with you...it's Herb's version of "Spanish Flea" all the way. Vocal-wise, of course, I'd have to go with Mr. Mendes...as any good "Brasil Nut" would!! :)

Jon

...putting words in the mouth of a Spanish Flea, online...

I give the edge to the Tijuana Brass rendition of "Brasilia" with the BMB's speeded-up single version a close second.

As for "Spanish Flea" - no contest, the Tijuana Brass version is definitive.

Harry
...weighing in, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom