• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Who's the trumpet player in this TJB video?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe his name is Art Bushagen, or something like that. It has been discussed here earlier.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

This is very interesting! (thanks for posting it, Dan.) That's Art Bushagen, all right, but who's playing drums? Dosn't look like Nick Ceroli. And how did they get that electric guitar sound out of John Paisano's acoustic 12-string in what is obviously not a tape-synch performance? Plus, no mics or cords in evidence. Unusual choice of tunes, too--a selection from Whipped Cream and a jazzed-up selection from Vol. 2/SotB. Any guesses as to the air date?

Mike A.

The video I have of the Dean Martin show says March 1966. I've read that many times a band would record a live performance prior to the show actually being taped and then just lip-synching (or pantomining if you will) to that performance. I guess they had a better idea of timing for the other parts of the show. And yes, that is Nick Ceroli.

Capt. Bacardi

That was Nick Ceroli on drums. But I was wondrin' if that arrangement of those songs could be on a "Lost Treasures 2" CD? They're not the original tracks from the album. J

What an interesting video! I didn't know the Brass had ever been on The Dean Martin Show and, admittedly, I never saw or heard of Art Bushagen before. Is that the only time he stood in for Tonni Kalash and how did he get involved with the band?

Charles H.

He can also be seen with the TJB on their first Hollywood Bowl appearance in late '65, and on the Andy Williams show in '66. No idea as to how he got in the band. Since these were the early days of the touring TJB it's possible that Tonni may have had a prior arrangement and just couldn't be with the TJB at this time. No one knows for sure.

Capt. Bacardi

I was wondrin' if that arrangement of those songs could be on a "Lost Treasures 2" CD?
That would be cool. Makes you wonder how many OTHER ideas Herb had for "El Presidente" or "Winds of Barcelona" or whatever it's called in this particular incarnation!

Mike Blakesley said:
I was wondrin' if that arrangement of those songs could be on a "Lost Treasures 2" CD?
That would be cool. Makes you wonder how many OTHER ideas Herb had for "El Presidente" or "Winds of Barcelona" or whatever it's called in this particular incarnation!

This really brings back memories of the live performances I saw in 1968.

That is exactly the way those songs were performed in concerts in 1968 - the arrangements and the different ways the songs were performed than the versions on the original recordings.

Very typical of TJB concerts. Lots of tweaks and changes to make it interesting - it also helps keep the performers from getting bored.

Oh, my, my, my, my...yes! Yummy! Booyah! What a sublime snippet of TJB history. Just the swingin'-est, sweetest, sexiest renditions of "Samba" and "Barcelona/Presidente" we can find! :love:
What are we looking at here...early-mid 1966, perhaps (Nick's mustache is just coming in..)?

Like many of us, never knew the name Art Bushagen until this rare gem was unearthed for us.

Please, someone, somewhere..release this Dean Martin show...along with the soon-to-follow (sort of legendary) Andy Williams appearances on DVD!
PLEEEZE! :!: :!:

[PS..hello Steve Sidoruk..hope to see you soon!!]

I found that DVD of the Dean Martin show on e-bay & my son Chris posted it on u tube. I have the Andy williams show from the internet that I made a DVD of.
Many many years of searching sometimes pays off in the end!!

mikeargo said:
This is very interesting! (thanks for posting it, Dan.) That's Art Bushagen, all right, but who's playing drums? Dosn't look like Nick Ceroli. And how did they get that electric guitar sound out of John Paisano's acoustic 12-string in what is obviously not a tape-synch performance? Plus, no mics or cords in evidence. Unusual choice of tunes, too--a selection from Whipped Cream and a jazzed-up selection from Vol. 2/SotB. Any guesses as to the air date?

Mike A.

That's Nick alright...this show probably aired around mid - late 1965, judging by Nick's partially grown out mustache. Promo shots of the newly-formed 'touring band' were shot in early '65, I believe, when no one - not even Nick sported a mustache (back of Going Places has one shot). There is also a different shot (same photo session as mentioned earlier) of the band in early '65 inside one of the 'Remastered TJB' albums (not Going Places) under where the cd is mounted, showing Nick without the 'stache. Also, on YouTube are the newly-posted full-length videos of Ray Anthony's Club Anthony Show, showing a young Nick Ceroli on drums, especially Part 6 of 8 shows Nick playing some nice, short solos on "St. Louis Blues".

4haverstocks said:
Thanks, Martin. I found the other posts. Does anyone have the correct spelling of Art's last name?

Dan

I tried googling him under about a dozen different spellings...nothing.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom