• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Why has there never been a definitive TJB concert video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

I've been to many incredible Tijuana Brass concerts...all worthy of video release- so it's mind boggling to me why no full live concert videos exsist. I wonder if there are pristine full shows sitting in the can?

My guess is, take a look at the sound and video quality of the "real" live footage that was in the various TJB specials for the answer. Most of their playing was synced, owing to the limited live sound recording techniques of the day.

For example, I saw a tremendous TjB concert in 1984 at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles..all the hits were flawlessly performed live...so that is reasonably recent..and considering there was the A&M Films division...???

Captain Bacardi said:
What makes you think that the concerts were filmed in the first place? :confused:

Capt. Bacardi

And what kind of contemporary market would exist for such an item? IMO, slim to none...

Captaindave said:
Captain Bacardi said:
What makes you think that the concerts were filmed in the first place? :confused:

Capt. Bacardi

And what kind of contemporary market would exist for such an item? IMO, slim to none...

LOL! Perhaps some of the 100 million plus TJB album owners?

I remain doubtful.

I would doubt if there are anywhere near that figure of album owners at present. Of those who do exist, I would say there a slim few who would be interested in buying a DVD of old concert footage.

It's all only my opinion of course, but when you get beyond the confines of this forum where a dedicated fan base still exists after all these years, the interest in TJB matters probably wanes significantly. Even some of the people who post on this forum seem, IMO, to be more interested in present day Herb Alpert activities than in the 1960s TJB.

And, that would be particularly true of TJB matters dating back to what would be considered "vintage."

If this were the sixties, I would agree that a big market might exist for what was then a current Top 40 hit producer. Today, it is matter of historical interest only among the remaining dedicated fan base.

I also get the impression that not even Herb Alpert himself is particularly interested in "vintage" matters, and probably wouldn't have any real desire to see such a thing happen. And, as mentioned above, it is probably unlikely that such footage exists anyway.

I'm sure two or three hours of live performances could be gathered of Herb Alpert & the different TJBz. Then add in some interviews. Maybe if it were put into a semi-documentary or documentary fashion like "The Wreking Crew" movie (which I haven't seen yet) or even a History Channel or PBS Special. These stations have had music specials on lots of musicians that have music much less familiar than Mr. Alpert songs. Maybe because HA was/is not a druggie or dope head and he was/is a stable business man that made happy music, and is alive and doing well...Hey, :yawn: That doesn't make for a good story. No tragedy.

But...If I knew anything about marketing I would have sold more than 15 or 16 Juan Oskar CDz. :goofygrin: later.........J

I think Juan hit it right on the head. There's not enough "dirt" on Herb Alpert to interest any media group to undertake such a project. Thankfully not enough tragedy worth media attention either. When you have a really successful life and career, treat your other fellow musicians with kindness and respect, stay out of legal trouble and substance abuse you become useless to the media. The only way I would see that happening is if Herb and/or Lani wanted to do it for their own reasons. And at this point they don't seem to be into past projects. Even the reissue project has not seen a new release in over 2 years. So regardless of whether it would sell or not, the powers that be have no interest in releasing it. I would love to perhaps see the entire concert that the footage from the "Beat of the Brass" special came from. But I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for it.

David

BTW, Juan, just be patient and you will sell many more CDs.
Remember "Tell it to the Birds" and "Fallout Shelter". Even Herb's had some records that didn't tear up the charts.................

thetijuanataxi said:
Remember "Tell it to the Birds" and "Fallout Shelter". Even Herb's had some records that didn't tear up the charts.................

Ouch.... :D

Let's face it--the TV specials are amusing, but are also a bit "corny" in their own endearing way. If there were actual live performances, which included unreleased tracks, it might have some staying power. Not many music fans would watch any band or artist hamming it up for the camera for a couple of hours. IMHO, folks would rather see a documentary on Herb, the TJB, and A&M before seeing some old packaged-up TV specials. Don't need "dirt" to make a good documentary, but having a lot of insider information and little-known facts, and some name-dropping, would keep it interesting.

IOW, outside the few dozen of us here, it wouldn't sell.

Rudy said:
thetijuanataxi said:

Ouch.... :D

Let's face it--the TV specials are amusing, but are also a bit "corny" in their own endearing way. If there were actual live performances, which included unreleased tracks, it might have some staying power. Not many music fans would watch any band or artist hamming it up for the camera for a couple of hours. IMHO, folks would rather see a documentary on Herb, the TJB, and A&M before seeing some old packaged-up TV specials. Don't need "dirt" to make a good documentary, but having a lot of insider information and little-known facts, and some name-dropping, would keep it interesting.

IOW, outside the few dozen of us here, it wouldn't sell.

I agree. It wouldn't sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom