Willie Bobo: LOST AND FOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
The Concord Music Group has released a disc containing 12 tunes from Jazz Percussionist Willie Bobo recorded between 1969-76. These were primarily demos that were later rerecorded for release on LP, but some never came out until now.

What got my attention was the back song sheet which lists the date of a session at Gold Star Recording Studios, Inc. of "6/8/70." This is roughly the time an album by Bobo, titled GETTIN' HEAVY, was assigned A&M catalog number "SP 4244."

Bobo's son, Eric, wrote liner notes. These make references to unnamed or unreleased albums, with the execption of DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO (Sussex Records) and his father "being free of labels and just making good music" during those seven years.

For A&M completists, this might be as close as one can get to hearing how GETTIN' HEAVY may have sounded, particuarly on Bobo's version of "Dinji."

JB

LOST AND FOUND is available through amazon.com

You can also hear samples:

www.undergroundhiphop.com/store/detail.asp?UPC=CCD30028CD

Sounds great that we'll hear the Willie Bobo album that was an "A&M-almost"! Might consist of Gettin' Heavy, his "Lost" LP...

And I swear, if wasn't all the way in Zicron Yaacov, Israel, I would move this Topic All the Way to The JAZZ FORUM!!! :mad: :jester:

Dave :cussing: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom