• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Alternate CLOS2U's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

I keep hearing about the three versions of CLOSE TO YOU. Where are the other two takes hiding?

Jeff

Harry said:
Under lock and key!

Harry

lock.gif
key.gif

:laugh:

Dave :whistle: :wink:

There is of course the "Spike Jones" version, which was done live in 1976, as well as on their "First TV Special" the same year. Of course, you can't get that one anywhere either (officially).

davidgra said:
1) Close to You (edited single version)
davidgra said:
3) Close to You (full-length album version)
4) Close to You (1991 remix)
5) Close to You (mono promo mix)
6) Close to You (karaoke mix)

newvillefan said:
7. Close To You (Demo Version 1)
8. Close To You (Demo Version 2)
9. Close To You (Live In Japan, 1974)

SakuraSYayoi said:
10-12) Close To You (Live In Japan video 1970 & 1972 and Live at Budokan 1974)
13) Close To You (Live at BBC)
14) Close To You (Live In Holland video 1974)
15) Close To You (Live with Boston Pops video 1974)

BBC aired 71 & 76 live in London July.

We are talking about newvillefan's 7&8?

A few years ago Herb Alpert said;
"I believe it was recorded three different times with the Carpenters."

Where did I read Richard's mention about Karen's drums version and another keyboard player's version?

Sakura

In the "Herb Alpert Story" on the BBC, Herb mentions that it was recorded with Karen on drums but Herb said he wasn't too excited about that version because it needed "more energy" or something...so they brought in the Wrecking Crew (Hal Blaine on drums) and nailed it. I don't think I've heard Richard talk about that in interviews but he may have mentioned it somewhere.

I've never heard of a version with a different keyboard player.

SUPPOSEDLY a version of "Close to You" exists with Larry Knetchel on piano!!! See Ray Coleman's bio, pages 83-84. Version 1 was RC on piano and KC on drums. Then version two replaced them with Larry on piano and Hal Blaine on drums. Version 3 is the one we know.

A friend of mine heard the other two versions at Richard's house some years back -- needless to say, I don't like them very much anymore!!! Haha! Nah, I do...

Randy

close2u said:
...SUPPOSEDLY a version of "Close to You" exists with Larry Knetchel on piano...!!!

Which is on the version by Tommy Roe, that is Larry is credited on it (it appears on Side 2 of his 1970 LP, We Can Make Music) and it features a trumpet solo (maybe even by Chuck Findley; can't remember if his name was in the credits) as well... Joe and Hal, on bass and drums, respectively...

A shame that his version never showed up on a '45', though I'm sure nobody expected it to be a hit, let alone compete with versions out there that tried to be or were...

Dave

Thanks guys. I haven't read Coleman's book since New Year's Day of 1995. Where did I read lately?

In the "Herb Alpert Story" interview Herb mentioned "more funky"....?

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom