Alternative Album Covers

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Having attended the UK premiere of the Karen Carpenter film last week, I was reminded anew of the difference between the eventual artwork on Karen’s solo album, versus some of the original photo session images. Such care went into that photo session by Claude Mougin and Karen was so badly let down, as were the duo over the years. Compare these:

DB0D2EE1-3660-476E-800F-F2F7760952B0.jpeg

F13C5226-E59B-4131-B4BE-9E02013B4F61.jpeg

If you were the Artistic Director and in possession of images as beautiful as this one of Karen, what would you have done for her album cover?

And, more generally, what would you have done differently on the Carpenters’ album covers? What would your ideal ‘Now & Then’, Tan album or ‘Close To You’ cover have looked like, given the era in which it was produced? Which image would you have chosen for the cover?

As much as Richard dislikes most of the early album covers I would have changed only 2 of them. A "Song For You" with the heart theme really did not help the image they were trying to eradicate and would get a complete makeover. The other cover for me was "The Singles 1969-1973" due to the depressing brown color scheme that was selected. I would have chosen white with gold trim (similar to the RPO) to make it visually pop in the record stores and I bet it would have sold even more copies than the 7 million it's credited for.

As far as the lovely Karen, I would have used your photo with the red jacket and cropped it just below her right shoulder and had a cursive "Karen" only in silver embossed across the red background just below her hairline. Would also find the negative that does not cut off her hair at the top. That's all I've got for now!

The other cover for me was "The Singles 1969-1973" due to the depressing brown color scheme that was selected. I would have chosen white with gold trim (similar to the RPO) to make it visually pop in the record stores and I bet it would have sold even more copies than the 7 million it's credited for.

Another abysmal cover. Was dark brown in fashion in 1973? Your idea would have been far better Jim. The entire album from cover to cover, including the inside, was the same. Even the photo was in sepia. The original colour outtakes were great.

I should have been more specific - it's no. 4 in the series of pics at the website I posted above - although I've always been very fond of 14, 24, 27 & 36, several of which have found their way into my avatar (which, by the way, would have made a great album cover...)

No. 30 is the same as 4 except cropped a little tighter - 4 & 30 appear to be from the same photo session as that of @newvillefan 's avatar...

Last edited:
I should have been more specific - it's no. 4 in the series of pics at the website I posted above - 4 & 30 appear to be from the same photo session

Yep. As far as I’m aware, the entire photoshoot for the solo album was done in one day.

493EE88F-4025-4B87-975B-E888C1F6B1D4.jpeg
DB304D4B-EB38-46E5-82CF-EF21F702D965.jpeg

Even though the album was never officially released in the United States, I still dislike the original album cover design for The Singles 1974-1978. The first time that I saw it was in a discount album bin in 1980 and the shiny golden cover gave me no indication that it was a Carpenters album while I was flipping through the bin. Luckily I decided to flip through the bin a second time and I looked at the back of this album cover and saw the songs listed.
When I got home, I took out a fine-tipped black magic marker and colored in their logo on the front and back cover

I also agree with the comment that Richard Carpenter made in the MUSICAL LEGACY book that the Close To You album cover photo was lousy and A&M should have used the TICKET TO RIDE cover photo instead.

But was she double tracked vocally when she was photographed? 🤔
:) I have to smile in spite of myself - but that's the 3rd or 4th time recently that someone's tried that rather flimsy attempt at humor, and you're wearing it out - how about something original and clever for a change! :cool:

The answer to the question is more than likely yes - she was double-tracked every f**king time she turned around...

Yep. As far as I’m aware, the entire photoshoot for the solo album was done in one day.

493EE88F-4025-4B87-975B-E888C1F6B1D4.jpeg
DB304D4B-EB38-46E5-82CF-EF21F702D965.jpeg

Gorgeous photos. The first could be the cover for sure. If the chair were a better color match, it’d make a nice back. I’d crop it so that her back is on the right - leaving room for the track listing/producer on the left and the label credit along the bottom.

Ed

Another abysmal cover. Was dark brown in fashion in 1973? Your idea would have been far better Jim. The entire album from cover to cover, including the inside, was the same. Even the photo was in sepia. The original colour outtakes were great.

No, that brown colour was rubbish in 1973 too! Don't know what possessed A&M....

No, that brown colour was rubbish in 1973 too! Don't know what possessed A&M....

Probably going for something classy. I don’t hate it. If A&M’s whole strategy for Carpenters’ album covers had produced more winners, I’m not sure this one would be such a bother to others either.

Ed

Having attended the UK premiere of the Karen Carpenter film last week, I was reminded anew of the difference between the eventual artwork on Karen’s solo album, versus some of the original photo session images. Such care went into that photo session by Claude Mougin and Karen was so badly let down, as were the duo over the years. Compare these:

DB0D2EE1-3660-476E-800F-F2F7760952B0.jpeg

F13C5226-E59B-4131-B4BE-9E02013B4F61.jpeg

If you were the Artistic Director and in possession of images as beautiful as this one of Karen, what would you have done for her album cover?

And, more generally, what would you have done differently on the Carpenters’ album covers? What would your ideal ‘Now & Then’, Tan album or ‘Close To You’ cover have looked like, given the era in which it was produced? Which image would you have chosen for the cover?
I agree that the artistic team hit rock bottom with the ‘Karen Carpenter’ cover. I actually like the ‘Carpenters’ covers, even if they didn’t portray the image that Karen and Richard wanted, but the artistic team couldn’t have done any worse if they tried, with the solo cover.

I can see, however, that they were going for something a bit different, which they achieved with some of the different poses, although some of them didn’t work.

The pink lettering on the cover is nice.

A challenge would have been that Karen looked so obviously unwell… and a bit out of it in some of the pictures, with the pill her friend secretly slipped in her tea.

Last edited:
A challenge would have been that Karen looked so obviously unwell… and a bit out of it in some of the pictures, with the pill her friend secretly slipped in her tea.

That’s just an anecdote from the book. It had no bearing on the photoshoot, she looked amazing in some of the photos.

That pink scrawled lettering on a muddy green background was dire. Rock bottom indeed.

Last edited:
Yes, dark brown, avocado green, gold….all popular colors in the early 70’s

The other cover for me was "The Singles 1969-1973" due to the depressing brown color scheme that was selected. I would have chosen white with gold trim (similar to the RPO) to make it visually pop in the record stores and I bet it would have sold even more copies than the 7 million it's credited for.
Agreed that the dark brown wasn't great, but if they made it white, they'd have been seen as copying The Beatles.

I think the worst move from the artistic team was the tinted red face….. and, from the director of photography, given that a lot of the songs had sexual undertones, some of the poses were a bit questionable.

Karen's solo album cover is one of the most horrendous I have ever seen around. Why did they do that? There were so many gorgeous photos taken that would have been used. Even including a few on the booklet... And we were left with a poorly doodle/sketch. Can't help but shake my head every time I see it.

Back
Top Bottom