• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Any word on the Sergio 9/26 remasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbsugar

Music is life
I was hoping to buy them at the store I work at (Fry's in Austin) but it looks like we aren't going to carry them for now. Just wondering if any of the Cornerites have received their copies and have any opinions on the sound, etc.....

I will get mine on Thursday the 28th. Normally would have gotten them today but computer glitches delayed our weekly order until Thursday. (Harry's are probably waiting in his mailbox, but he's on vacation this week.)

Got mine today, which I was told is the official release date.
Paid $11.99 each for H.A. PRESENTS, CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS and YE ME LE, all on A&M/Verve with the discs having the A&M ochre label. Haven't had time to spin them yet.
I was in another record store last Friday and saw a clerk open a box containing YE ME LE. At that time she told me she "wasn't allowed" to put them in the racks 'til Tuesday.
My copies came from the Disc Exchange West in Knoxville TN.
JB

NP: "Voices Carry" by Til Tuesday -

I'm happy to say they're in regular jewel cases rather than (el cheapo) digi-packs.
Cover art looks good except on H.A. PRESENTS where the artwork appears a bit grainy.
JB

It's about time these came out domstically. I think it's due to the success of "Timeless". Can't wait to hear if these sound better than the Japan reissues I bought a few years ago.

LPJim: How are the booklets? (Lyrics?.....doubtful I suppose)

I was in another record store last Friday and saw a clerk open a box containing YE ME LE. At that time she told me she "wasn't allowed" to put them in the racks 'til Tuesday.
I would like to congratulate that clerk for sticking to street date.

Larger stores receive their new releases on Friday so they have time to get them checked in, priced, etc. and into the racks on Tuesday. Smaller stores (like ours) get product from rackjobbers, hence they don't receive their inventory until Monday or Tuesday, so it's unfair practice when some big stores sell early. (And stores can be taken off early-ship service for violating the street date.) So I'm glad to hear of one that had a sale in hand, but chose to play by the rules.

No lyrics. The booklets pretty much faithfully reproduce the LP front/back art. Credits are sketchy. For example, on HERB PRESENTS they mention an 'unknown trombone player' on Track 7.

However, the discs and the front covers show the original SP numbers, which is a really classy touch IMHO.

So far I've only listened to the SP 4116 remaster (sounds good) and hope to spin at least one more before the 11:00 news.
JB

Now looking for remasters of SP 4284, 4315 and 4353 in the near future

LPJim said:
Now looking for remasters of SP 4284, 4315 and 4353 in the near future

I believe those are due out in Japan, if they're not out already.

I bought the three titles today "Herb Alpert Presents Segio Mendes & Brasil '66'" "Crystal Illusions," and "Ye-Me-Le."
Since it's already late at night when I played them, I listend at low volume.
I'm happy with the sound specially the "Herb Alpert Presents." I have to listen to them again at higher volume to really hear if the remastering sounds great or not. I looked at the remastering credit on each CD and I'm glad to see the name of Bob Irwin.
I was hoping that these CD's will be issued on mini-LP replica (digipak) like the three previous Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 reissues such as "Equinox," "Look Around" and "the Fool on the Hill."
Except for this minor inconsistency in the packaging, I'm happy with this new purchase.

Oops, almost forgot; here are the catalog numbers:

SP 4116 -- A&M CD # B0007428-2

SP 4197 -- B0007426-2

SP 4236 -- B0007427-2

JB

My copy of LOOK AROUND and the other sealed ones I've seen since are in digipacks. I spotted a used copy in a regular jewel case recently, the only one I've ever seen in that configuartion, and wondered if it's a promo.
JB

LPJim said:
My copy of LOOK AROUND and the other sealed ones I've seen since are in digipacks. I spotted a used copy in a regular jewel case recently, the only one I've ever seen in that configuartion, and wondered if it's a promo.
JB
Those in mini-LP digipaks are the remastered ones with great sound.
I don't know about the one you saw in regular jewel case. Maybe it was the unremastered version.

Mike Blakesley said:
I will get mine on Thursday the 28th. Normally would have gotten them today but computer glitches delayed our weekly order until Thursday. (Harry's are probably waiting in his mailbox, but he's on vacation this week.)

Well, they weren't quite waiting for me in my mailbox, since I hesitated on advance ordering. Looking around at the various Borders stores in my neighborhood, I located all three of them at the Wynnewood location, which is near my office, so I opted to grab them at lunch today.

LPJim did a pretty thorough job describing the packaging, so I'll concentrate on the sound - at least for the cream of this crop, SP 4116, HERB ALPERT PRESENTS. At least that's the most interesting one for me, since it's classic/vintage Brasil '66 and never before released domestically on CD.

I compared it with the older Japanese version I had of this title from around 1995, POCM-1879, since I never bought the more recent remaster when the whole kit and kaboodle of Mendes titles got re-released a few years ago.

The new version isn't quite as "bright" sounding as the old Japanese release, but has a more balanced sound. POCM-1879 always sounded a bit harsh to me. This new release kind of mellows the sound a bit, making it a little easier on the ears. I listened to it in the car and at the office, and both sounded really good to me.

That said, I did the ultimate test when I got home, dragging out my homemade CD-R of HERB ALPERT PRESENTS from my Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs LP. The difference is still night and day, no pun intended. That old LP still beats the pants off any other version I ever heard, sounding airy and alive.

Bottom line - the new CD sounds pretty good, and is a decent deal at $11.99 list, but for sheer quality of sound, nothing has yet touched the old MFSL version.

Harry

One more note about the labels: they're fairly faithful representations of the old LP labels with the album title, logo and catalog numbers. There are no track titles on the label, though, and the color is more of a tan color than "ochre" (rhymes with Texas Hold 'em). :)

I think whoever did the mastering for MoFi must have kept the master tape!

Harry

I stand corrected. But their heyday is long past, mostly because the major companies want to release their own remasters and cash in. Can't blame them.

They're still doing LP's and CD's. They've also introduced SACD into their product line. I agree that Rhino, Hip-O, and the others likely outdo them in sales but no one outdoes them in sound.

Ed

Agreed, but the deciding factor is content. What I was getting at is, MoFi won't release something like the Sergio album now because all the major labels, including Universal, now have their own reissue department, where they are more than happy to sell the same album to the fans three or four times over a couple of decades.

CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS - I get about the same results comparing the new US release to the old Japanese release on CD that I have (POCM-1995). The older Japanese release sounds a bit shriller on the top end, with the new disc sounding a bit more balanced and with a bit more bottom end. One flaw that I noticed on the old disc has been corrected on the new disc. Lani's vocal on the "be" of the opening line, "To be...alone..." had a little dropout on the right channel on POCM-1995, but it's nice and smooth on the new disc.

YE-ME-LE - Again, I compared the new release to the old Japanese POCM-1996, but here there's a slightly different kind of difference. The old Japanese release has slightly less presence in the highs here, giving it a more muffled sound. The new US release has a bit more in both the highs and lows. This is really slight, and hardly noticeable, but I pick up the difference with the ol' headphones on. Unfortunately, the HAECO-CSG processing remains on this new release.

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
Agreed, but the deciding factor is content. What I was getting at is, MoFi won't release something like the Sergio album now because all the major labels, including Universal, now have their own reissue department, where they are more than happy to sell the same album to the fans three or four times over a couple of decades.

MoFi is reissuing content from the majors. If you look at the website, it shows many albums being reissued by major label acts too numerous to mention here. Go have a look...:wink:

I absolutely agree about the reissue tactics. It's truly awful how the labels take advantage of the "average joe" by reissuing things over and over again.

Ed

MoFi specializes more in vinyl and SACD reissues these days. In the past, though, it wasn't a matter of reissues, but of improving on the sound quality of the same product the record companies were putting out. In the vinyl days, MoFi, Nautilus, Super Disk and others were releasing vinyl versions that in many cases outdid the originals released on the original labels. When CDs became popular, some listeners (such as myself) certainly recall the LPs sounding better than the cheap CD reissues (cheap production costs, not cheap selling price) the labels were putting out, and then MoFi was reborn with the gold CDs, and others like DCC joined the fray.

The premium vinyl market today includes MoFi, Analogue Productions, S&P, Classic Records, Speakers Corner (although their quality is spotty), and a few others. MoFi is also doing SACDs in addition to the gold CDs, and Audio Fidelity is also doing gold CDs as well, although they don't yet have many titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom