• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Brasil '66/'77's Karen Philipp in M*A*S*H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Most fans know that Karen Philipp from Brasil '66/'77 left the group to pursue an acting career, and one of her best-known acting gigs turned out to be as Lt. Dish in the first season of the TV series, M*A*S*H.

One question that often pops up here is, "Just how many episodes of M*A*S*H did she appear in?" And the common answer is 2 or 3, including the pilot.

We've been watching the entire series as it's been released on DVD (currently up through season 7), and I think it's fair to answer the question, "Just how many episodes of M*A*S*H did Karen Philipp appear in?" with the answer, "All of them."

Watch the opening credits carefully. If you have the pilot episode, these scenes are extended a bit, but you'll see the helicopters landing and "Hawkeye's" group ducking and then heading for the chopper. In the pilot, Lt. Dish (Karen Philipp) is observed just behind Hawkeye as he examines the first casualty:

hawkdish.jpg

In every episode thereafter, the scene of the ducking and running of Hawkeye's group is still the same and it's my contention that Karen Philipp is still there:

hawkdishradarred.jpg

This second image is lifted from the opening credits of a season 7 episode. I believe that from left to right we can see George Morgan, who played Father Mulcahy in the pilot only, Radar's back, Lt. Dish, and then Hawkeye.

It's not real clear in this tiny photo, and you never clearly see her face in this shot, but the hat and the hair match the way she appeared in those early episodes.

Here's a larger photo of the character running toward the chopper:

dish.jpg

Harry
...with theories, online...

Harry has a keen eye!! He's absolutely right...Karen "technically" appears in every episode of M*A*S*H, given her all-too-brief running shot in the opening credits.

They say she appeared in three episodes, although I've yet to spot her in the third. Unless, of course, she appears in the background -- or -- has her face covered with a surgical mask (?)

I've seen the pilot, where she's introduced as having been assigned to the 4077th, as well as the episode entitled "Germ Warfare" where she (or should I say Hawkeye) has an amazing dream sequence. Otherwise, I don't recall seeing her in "Chief Surgeon Who?" at all. Am I missing something? Like Harry, we have the DVDs and have watched them all (well...OK...so I've watched the pilot and "Germ Warfare" far more than the other episodes!!), but I still don't find Karen in "Chief Surgeon Who?"

Anyone know where she appears in this episode?

Jon

...who (like many others) wishes the producers hadn't asked Ms. Philipp to 'un-sign' her contract... :thumbsdn:

Hey Harry...

Doesn't she also appear (however briefly) in the opening shot of the nurses running up the hill? A good friend also pointed out that in the later, edited version, she briefly appears over Hawkeye's shoulder (as in the photo above). However, it was cut to a quicker close-up of Hawkeye, then breaks away.

Jon

The "Karen Nut" :wink:

brasil_nut said:
Doesn't she also appear (however briefly) in the opening shot of the nurses running up the hill?

I don't really spot her at all in those shots, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

brasil_nut said:
A good friend also pointed out that in the later, edited version, she briefly appears over Hawkeye's shoulder (as in the photo above). However, it was cut to a quicker close-up of Hawkeye, then breaks away.

This is true, though at best, all you can see the beginning of her appearance. On the very last frame, you can see her hat and a bit of her forehead beginning to appear. Then it cuts immediately to Trapper (or BJ in the later seasons).

I'm sure she's probably also in the overhead shot of the downhill procession of jeeps toward the end of the opening credits, but it's difficult to tell.

Harry
...who doesn't think she's in "Chief Surgeon, Who?" at all, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom