Carpenters 55th Anniversary Celebration - April 2024 in Downey

My flights are booked, anyone else planning on arriving a day early which would be on Tuesday? I'm flying Delta with a short layover in Detroit and a scheduled 10:33 AM landing at LAX. It would be nice to split the ride to Downey with other Carpenter loyalists.

I didn’t know anything had been confirmed yet? 🤔

Either way, I’m out. My personal circumstances have changed significantly and I’ve got other more pressing things I need to focus on next year. Would have been great though - although interestingly a few people brought this planned event up at the recent UK screening of the new KC documentary and said they thought it would just be a re-hash of the same visits to the same places.

What are the dates, and hotel, etc. I haven’t seen anything about a definite gathering either. Also Downey isn’t the safest place to get together anymore Something a bit south, Orange County, or east of it might be better.

I didn’t know anything had been confirmed yet? 🤔

Either way, I’m out. My personal circumstances have changed significantly and I’ve got other more pressing things I need to focus on next year. Would have been great though - although interestingly a few people brought this planned event up at the recent UK screening of the new KC documentary and said they thought it would just be a re-hash of the same visits to the same places.
I'm debating. I just retired out of Southern California and moved to a much better State. Every time I return to California I both cringe and feel bad for what happened to that State. Plus, the closer one gets to L.A., the worse the decline is noticeable. I avoid as much I can having to return to California. I would be more inclined to attend if it were in New Haven. That being said I, too, am not sure what will be different from the 50th. I think many from all over the world were disappointed that Richard did NOT make an effort to make an appearance when we were literally in his own town! I HIGHLY doubt he'll come down to Downey when he wouldn't even come down the street. But it is great to get together with other fans and celebrate Karen and Richard. So I'm on the fence about it.

Regardless of the logistics, is this something that is confirmed supposed to happen? I live in Ohio, but if this actually happens I would seriously consider making the trip out to California for it.

Image 10-18-23 at 4.36 PM.jpg
There is a web site dedicated to the event with around 100 attendees signed up already. Most have already paid the$25 registration fee and others have paid for the individual events and tours that you can select. The bus trip heads for Thousand Oaks on one of the days and the remainder of the celebration remains in the LA area.

I think many from all over the world were disappointed that Richard did NOT make an effort to make an appearance when we were literally in his own town!

Yep, pretty much sums it up. I know he doesn’t owe us anything, but I sensed a huge amount of disappointment at that 50th event from people who had come from all over the world to his home town. It didn’t have to be a personal appearance - there wasn’t any kind of video, audio or commemorative acknowledgment from him whatsoever.

There is a web site dedicated to the event with around 100 attendees signed up already. Most have already paid the registration fee $25 and others have paid for the individual events and tours that you can select. One of the days the bus trip heads for Thousand Oaks and the remainder of the celebration remains in the LA area.

When was that published? Because I think it’s news to the vast majority here. Just sounds like a rehash to me.

I found the site. It says coming soon. Pre registration is via Facebook. I don’t subscribe to that. Too much misinformation. I will try the other site later if it gets up and running.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Google Carpenters 55th Anniversary Celebration and you'll have everything you need. I paid my registration fee sometime last year and the official web site was launched back in June. Greg Kuritz and the organizers have been very responsive from the beginning and have solicited ideas from interested attendees on this thread back in February. One positive for the 55th is less time riding on buses in Los Angeles traffic.

And yes, there is a lot of repetition from the events that were held at the 50th, but this one has some interesting concerts, films and a new location. The Embassy Suites is centrally located on Firestone Drive in Downey and in walking distance to the mall and numerous food options. For myself the celebration is more about meeting fellow Carpenter fans and reconnecting with friendships made five years ago. Hope this helps.

I found the site. It says coming soon. Pre registration is via Facebook. I don’t subscribe to that. Too much misinformation. I will try the other site later if it gets up and running.
Thanks.
Just checked the site and there were no issues with it. Good luck and I hope you can make it, I'm already disappointed to hear that Stephen can't join us this time and we'll have to find another quizmaster!

Did anyone attend the 50th celebration? I would be interested to hear your experience! I looked at the event schedule for the 55th and was not certain, just by reading, if it is something that would interest me.

I am relocating to Los Angeles in 90 days. Family, mom and dogs included. Not sure if I'll have the time to assist but looking forward seeing some friends for sure!

The conference seems to be long to me. It seems to be geared more towards retirees who have all that time to cross the country or world. It's also heavy in tribute bands, which puts me to sleep and makes me cringe. Plus a stop at a McDonalds...yikes. Nothing like the smell of McDonalds wafting through the Carpenters Performing Arts Centre. All that said, I do appreciate the effort that those planning have made.

The conference seems to be long to me. It seems to be geared more towards retirees who have all that time to cross the country or world. It's also heavy in tribute bands, which puts me to sleep and makes me cringe. Plus a stop at a McDonalds...yikes. Nothing like the smell of McDonalds wafting through the Carpenters Performing Arts Centre. All that said, I do appreciate the effort that those planning have made.
Would you say it’s worth traveling across the country for? I live in Ohio but may make the trip if it seems like it would be worth it…looks you came all the way from Georgia.

It’s probably because if Richard himself attended the event, all of the focus would be on him, rather than being a gathering of Carpenters fan to celebrate their whole legacy, which would be the main purpose of the event. Every single person there would recognize Richard and want to meet him.
that's not the reason

Would you say it’s worth traveling across the country for? I live in Ohio but may make the trip if it seems like it would be worth it…looks you came all the way from Georgia.
Honestly, I signed up for the last one with the hopes of seeing Richard. I had to cancel last minute because of a work-thing. Richard didn't show, but I do feel I missed out on meeting some cool people.

Honestly, I signed up for the last one with the hopes of seeing Richard.
That’s fair - probably the reason why a lot of people decided to show up. I’d be going to this one with the expectation that Richard wouldn’t be there, but meeting some people from this forum would be a real treat.

Yep, pretty much sums it up. I know he doesn’t owe us anything, but I sensed a huge amount of disappointment at that 50th event from people who had come from all over the world to his home town. It didn’t have to be a personal appearance - there wasn’t any kind of video, audio or commemorative acknowledgment from him whatsoever.
Just take a step back and think-why would Richard Carpenter not want to attend any of these events? The answer is obvious--

Did anyone attend the 50th celebration? I would be interested to hear your experience! I looked at the event schedule for the 55th and was not certain, just by reading, if it is something that would interest me.

Many here did, including myself - it was an amazing trip and pretty much everything I'd hoped it would be. The long bus rides were an issue but that's being alleviated with this trip by staying in Downey.

I'm unsure if I'll go this time around, although likely will. For anyone who didn't make the 50th, I'd think they would enjoy this trip, but of course that's just my opinion.

I think if Richard was to show up, we would know in advance. To know in advance, an event would likely be something official.

It’s probably because if Richard himself attended the event, all of the focus would be on him, rather than being a gathering of Carpenters fan to celebrate their whole legacy, which would be the main purpose of the event. Every single person there would recognize Richard and want to meet him.
not the reason

Back
Top Bottom