Carpenters 55th Anniversary Celebration - April 2024 in Downey

I just registered. There are 100 attendees so far. Several anonymous people, which I’m guessing are the special guests. It will be nice to meet Chris May, and Randy Schmidt, as well as fans from this Forum. Many people flying in from Europe, Latin America, and Japan. So cool.

New article today from the Downey Patriot about the 55th anniversary event:

Exciting News of the 55th Event.

I have a question on the above link there is a menu tab at the top and inside that is a link to the 50th memories of photos. The photo at the very bottom, is that Yuka Ogura author of the Carpenters Mook book? Did anyone who went to the 50th get a chance to talk to her at all?

I wonder if anyone has ever thought of getting someone like her or someone from Japan to sit on the 2024 panel, it would be a nice perspective on how important Japan became for Carpenters, what it was like from someone who was there during the 70’s and how strong the Carpenters legacy is still to this day in Japan. Yuka Ogura could even speak about her process and Richard’s involvement in creating the Mook book.

Exciting News of the 55th Event.

I have a question on the above link there is a menu tab at the top and inside that is a link to the 50th memories of photos. The photo at the very bottom, is that Yuka Ogura author of the Carpenters Mook book? Did anyone who went to the 50th get a chance to talk to her at all?

I wonder if anyone has ever thought of getting someone like her or someone from Japan to sit on the 2024 panel, it would be a nice perspective on how important Japan became for Carpenters, what it was like from someone who was there during the 70’s and how strong the Carpenters legacy is still to this day in Japan. Yuka Ogura could even speak about her process and Richard’s involvement in creating the Mook book.
I talk with Yuka frequently. As a matter of fact, she has been involved in the translation of Carpenters: The Musical Legacy for the upcoming Japanese release.

Last edited:

Hi, Rick.

Yes, I did have a chance to talk to her at the 50th. In fact, we rode together on one of the bus trips. That particular day, I was tasked with providing some background information on the various sites that we were visiting. After each of my "blurbs", I would hand the mic over to Yuka and she would translate for the Japanese attendees. She's a very classy person AND an extremely knowledgeable Carpenters fan. One other thing: She speaks at least 3 languages: English, Japanese and Icelandic !

Yes, I did have a chance to talk to her at the 50th. In fact, we rode together on one of the bus trips. That particular day, I was tasked with providing some background information on the various sites that we were visiting. After each of my "blurbs", I would hand the mic over to Yuka and she would translate for the Japanese attendees.

For those going to the next one, my top tip would be to make those bus journeys more interesting. The last ones were so long and boring and need scintillating commentary.

Bumping this up to the top since the 55th Celebration is supposedly starting tomorrow (April 24). Is it still happening? I'm amazed there hasn't been more chatter about it to this point.

I know Portlander and I are both going, from the Forum. Not sure of anyone else but Chris May. Many already there for the week. I’m going on Thursday. Wednesday is more of a check in day, with a concert that evening. Looking forward to going to the Carpenters Center at CSULB, and whatever they have for us at the hotel on Saturday. Many anonymous guests are attending as well. Hmmm
Over 100 signed up so far.

Last edited:
I hope with all my heart there will be another one for the 60th. I really wanted to attend but the circumstances of life have prevented me from doing so. I just listened to the panel discussion from the 50th, and hopefully some folks who are going can share some of their experiences with those of us who can't make it. We are with you in spirit, please know that. Carpenters ad infinitum. Have an outstanding time!

I hope all that are there are having a great time! Being a teacher, taking several days off in April just isn't a possibility for me.

The new display of Carpenters memorabilia donated by Richard to the newly remodeled Downey Public Library, the 2 apt. buildings they once owned, the new sign on Newville Ave. dedicated to their home, the Carpenters Center at CSULB. The Magic Lamp single Karen’s drum set, and the Hollywood Bowl Battle of the Bands 1st place trophy. 4/25/24

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5512.jpeg

IMG_5517.jpeg

IMG_5535.jpeg

IMG_5519.jpeg

IMG_5553.jpeg

IMG_5562.jpeg

IMG_5569.jpeg

a couple more from the library. I’ve never seen that maroon Japanese box collection before. 2nd shelf from the bottom, left side.

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg
Are you able to get a closer picture of it? Does anyone know what the item is behind the "Carpenters: The Musical Legacy", second shelf from the bottom on the right. It looks like a picture of Karen from her solo album.

Back
Top Bottom