CTI information

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking on Doug Payne's website and saw a couple of tracks from Artie Butler's HYMMJ that never made it to the light of day... I forget the names, but I remember the Tamba 4's "California Soul," which I'd like to find the 45 for.

If only I were a fly on the wall in the CTI vaults... I'd move there and just spend the rest of my life listening to the forgotten tapes

seashorepiano said:
I was looking on Doug Payne's website and saw a couple of tracks from Artie Butler's HYMMJ that never made it to the light of day... I forget the names, but I remember the Tamba 4's "California Soul," which I'd like to find the 45 for.

Yeah, I have been to Doug's website, too. And he and I exchanged e-Mail, as well. He knows what a Hard-Core Szabo Fan I Am!!

There are quite a lot of Unreleased Tracks for the A&M/CTi Artists Series that are sitting around in the vaults. If only there'd be a good A&M/CTi reissue program going so they could finally be heard!

seashorepiano said:
If only I were a fly on the wall in the CTI vaults... I'd move there and just spend the rest of my life listening to the forgotten tapes

Ah, but you better have and know how to operate a Reel-To-Reel!! :winkgrin: :laugh:

Dave

...Oh, and I have a Double-Sided W/L Promo of Tamba 4's "California Soul", too. And a tan-label of T-4's CALIFORNIA SOUL/BERIMBAU. Now THERE's something that MIGHT get reissued--The THIRD Tamba 4 LP; though maybe outside of any typical A&M/CTi Reissue Program...!

I'll definitely operate the reel-to-reel! Show me how, and I'm there!

What do you think of the Tamba 4 tracks? I think it would be great for those to be released on their own CD, with original CTI gatefold layout.

seashorepiano said:
I'll definitely operate the reel-to-reel! Show me how, and I'm there!

What do you think of the Tamba 4 tracks? I think it would be great for those to be released on their own CD, with original CTI gatefold layout.

That's how I would have liked to see them. Verve reissued WE AND THE SEA, but in rather chintzy Xerox-Copied Cardboard Digi-Pak Packaging. You can't beat the sound, however. I have the CD tucked inside my LP Gatefold--still have yet to find good vinyl!--it's in a good "holding" portion of the cardboard I cut off.

I still have a good playing Mono copy of SAMBA BLIM on vinyl, though. And a W/L Promo I obtained years ago.

Yes, The Tamba 4 were a more heavier, more Jazz oriented Sergio Mendes. The LP's were uneven at times, yet THIS is what Brasilian-Jazz SHOULD be like, or at least many could have aspired to, while it was en vougue. Too bad there just wasn't more to hear because there was still a lot more they could do.

Dave

...in the typical A&M Corner Habit of calling (or pronouncing) "BraZilian", "BraSilian"... :wink:

I have the CD tucked inside my LP Gatefold--still have yet to find good vinyl!--it's in a good "holding" portion of the cardboard I cut off.

I found an excellent vinyl of WE AND THE SEA a month ago. Plays beautifully and has little to no surface noise. And yes, it is an original 1967 pressing. The cover was another matter... pretty lousy condition, lots of fading and weird, yellow tarnish (not to mention the cheesy record store stamp on it)...

I'm still looking for SAMBA BLIM although I'm not sure I'll get it locally. I might as well try ebay now.

Has anyone here listened to Ed Lincoln before?[/quote]

seashorepiano said:
I have the CD tucked inside my LP Gatefold--still have yet to find good vinyl!--it's in a good "holding" portion of the cardboard I cut off.

I found an excellent vinyl of WE AND THE SEA a month ago. Plays beautifully and has little to no surface noise. And yes, it is an original 1967 pressing. The cover was another matter... pretty lousy condition, lots of fading and weird, yellow tarnish (not to mention the cheesy record store stamp on it)...

I'm still looking for SAMBA BLIM although I'm not sure I'll get it locally. I might as well try ebay now.

Has anyone here listened to Ed Lincoln before?

Well, good luck finding your better WE AND THE SEA. I have a good cover of that. My SAMBA BLIM has someone's name written on the cover and both sides of the record label, but it still plays good.

Yes, Promo copies of stuff have rather noticable "Stamps" on the covers--many of them looking alike; especially A&M/CTi Promos.

In addition to my two Tamba 4's, I enjoy Jobim's WAVE and TIDE and both Walter Wanderley's MOONDREAMS and WHEN IT WAS DONE. And Paul Desmond's FROM THE HOT AFTERNOON is a good Brasilian Outing, as well.

Dave

...glad this thread is "heading where it is"... :thumbsup: :wink:

seashorepiano said:
...The cover was another matter... pretty lousy condition, lots of fading and weird, yellow tarnish (not to mention the cheesy record store stamp on it)...

That's one weird side affect of the original CTi pressings. After a few years the heavy plastic coating shrinks microscopically (just enough to crack) and turns yellow. Since I never bought one *new* until the AM+ series of 1984 I have often wondered if the plastic coating started out glossy or if it was always intended to have a matte finish. I definitely loved the look and feel of the thicker gatefols sleeve. Too bad A&M didn't ddo it for their non-CTi releases as well. Must be a Creed thing...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom