• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Darlin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Vakil

For some reason I could have sworn that Darlin' came from the British 1960's film Darling but I see it was written by Brian Wilson and Mike Love so I think I'm way off base here.

I haven't yet seen the film so does anyone know the answer?

Stephen

"Darlin'" is in fact a great Beach Boys tune. It was released in 1967 on the "Wild Honey" album. The project was culled together after the aftermath of the doomed "SmiLe" sessions.

"Before Three Dog Night was big or even formed,Danny Hutton, hung around with Brian Wilson. Apparently Hutton then had the habit of calling everyone "Darlin'". Brian decided to write a song based on the word. He of course made it a male to female romantic song, but wrote it "for" Hutton in two ways. First Danny's manner of speaking inspired it, but secondly, Brian wanted to give his friend the chance to make a hit.

The ugly side of the story is that apparently the rest of the Beach Boys didn't want anyone else to have the chance to make it big from Brian's song writing. According to reports, Mike Love grabbed the music tracks that Brian had laid down---for Hutton to sing on----and the Beach Boys recorded it as their own. Brian wasn't part of the scheme, if that's how one should characterize it, so Carl sings lead on it for the BBs.

A beautiful song with great lyrics. How much more romantic can a man get than saying to a woman "I was living like half a man". In fact, Danny and and Cory Wells (also of TDN) then sang the lead on the song, with the Beach Boys on background vocals"

Ohh darlin'
My darlin' you're so fine
Ohhhh-ohhh-ohhh

Don't know if words could say
But darlin' I'll find a way
To let you know what you meant to me
Guess it was meant to be
I hold you in my heart
As life's most precious part

Oh darlin'
I dream about you often my pretty darlin'
(Darlin' you're so fine)
I love the way you soften my life with your love
Your precious love uh huh, oh

I was living like half a man
Then I couldn't love but now I can
You pick me up when I'm feeling sad
More soul than I ever had
Gonna love you every single night
Cause I think you're too outta sight

Oh oh darlin'
(Darlin' you're so fine)
I love the way soften my life with your love
Your precious love uh huh huh

Woah oh oh oh

Every night oh darlin'
Gonna love you every single night, yes I will
Cause I think you're too dog gone outta sight

Oh darlin'
(Darlin' you're so fine)
I love the way soften my life with your love
Your precious love uh huh huh
Oh

I'm only familiar with the TJB version of this song...there must be a chorus that Herb either doesn't use in his arrangement, or only hints at.

Also, the words Herb sings don't quite match up with the lyrics.

Dan

Stephen Vakil said:
I always thought it went "Darlin', got to get you into my life"....

Yup. That's all he sings. It's totally his own "lyric" and has nothing to do with the lyrics by Brian Wilson & Mike Love. Another "Herb" thing. Totally makes it his own. Another reason I dig it as I do the entire Summertime
Album. Got the original vinyl spinning on the veranda this evening. "The Nicest Things Happen", "Jerusalem" just spectacular. Plus it's got gorgeous work by Julius all over it. I don't disagree with Herb often but I think he gets it totally wrong when he rates this amazing record so low. Sometimes masterpieces aren't truly appreciated when they first get released. Just look at "Citizen Kane" :cool:

This is a really great album. I had a very poor distorted copy for almost 30 years until one very kind cornerite sent me a scrubbed up version on CD. My favourite track here is The Nicest Things Happen.

stephen

I always loved the Beach Boys version but Herb really made this one his own. Really beautifully understated arrangement, one of my favorites.

This thread reminds me I really need to get a better, cleaner copy of the LP...

Got to agree with the other comments about how wonderful this album is. To my ears, it's the warmest sounding LP in the TJB catalog, which makes sense for a record called "Summertime." The acoustic guitars are more prominent than on any other album, there's lots of mellow electric piano, and everything just seems more intimate.

I'd love a clean digital copy of this. My LP-to-mp3 needle drop will do nicely for now. I love it when the iPod is on shuffle and something from this comes up..."Darlin'" just the other day, and the title cut last week.

Tom

Tom Wallace said:
My LP-to-mp3 needle drop will do nicely for now. I love it when the iPod is on shuffle and something from this comes up..."Darlin'" just the other day, and the title cut last week.

The same thing happened with me recently, with "If You Could Read My Mind" and "Jerusalem" popping up in rotation.

It's definitely a different-sounding album, more a close relative to WARM than any other album. It was only the third Tijuana Brass album completely recorded at A&M Studios, with part of the CHRISTMAS ALBUM being done there partly and at Gold Star.

Harry

I've often wondered if this project would have fared better with the buying public if it had been released as "Herb Alpert's First Solo Album". Pushing it more as a "new direction" & "new sound". We all know that "tastes" were changing back then and perhaps it would have been better to take a break from the TJB association. Many artists take a break from their "band" and have a great success with a "solo" project.

For me if I was given the choice of "Warm" or "Summertime" being reissued, I would choose "Summertime". It's that special to me.

I think the one thing that A&M marketing team did get right, is the title. I love listening to this gem on a warm SoCal summer evening as the sun is setting and the creeping darkness is turning the sky to a soft purple.

CherryStreet said:
Got the original vinyl spinning on the veranda this evening. "The Nicest Things Happen", "Jerusalem" just spectacular. Plus it's got gorgeous work by Julius all over it. I don't disagree with Herb often but I think he gets it totally wrong when he rates this amazing record so low. Sometimes masterpieces aren't truly appreciated when they first get released. Just look at "Citizen Kane" :cool:

I've got to agree. Summertime is badly overlooked in the HA-TJB catalog. I scored a copy in the summer of 1972 and it made an immediate heavy impression on me, such that I keep coming back to it over and over. CherryStreet very nicely posted the lyrics to "Darliln'," so I thought I'd post the lyrics to "The Nicest Things Happen"--by Cissy Wechter--that I originally posted somewhere here on the forum a few years ago around the time of the Julius Wechter Tribute Event.

=Mike A.

The Nicest Things Happen
Music by Julius Wechter, lyrics by Cissy Wechter
copyright Almo Music Corp./ASCAP

When we're in a crowd and I'm feeling proud
It's because you're standing close to me
Yes the nicest things happen
I can't believe that you're in love with me
Oh baby don't you see?

You walk through the door and just like before
All the angels start to sing for me
Oh the nicest things happen
The nicest things happen when you are near to me
Why can't you see?

I've tried to show you how very much I care
And how I'm lonely when you're not there

You'll be kissing me and then suddenly
All the stars in heaven start to shine
The nicest things happen because you're mine
To think that you are mine

You just look at me and then suddenly
All the wedding bells begin to chime
The nicest things happen to me
I hope the nicest things happen to you

What great lyrics! Now if only someone could post the lyrics to "Coney Island" that Mitzi Gaynor sang at the Wechter tribute...

--Mr Bill
a balmy 104 degrees at midnight here in Kuwait!

Steven J. Gross said:
I always thought it went "Darlin', got to get you into my life"....I DO hear those lyrics in the background-I think...

Just got done spinning the Beach Boys "Wild Honey" CD. It's not there Steven. That line is totally a "Herbism"!

Perhaps you are hearing the lyric,

"I love the way soften my life ".

In Herb's "Darlin'" on SUMMERTIME, the only vocal line occurs at 1:10 into the song (through 1:15). To me it sounds like Herb is singing, "Darlin', gotta get you out of my life..."

I don't hear "...in to...", I hear "...out of..." which seems contrary to the song's bouncy, happy feel. Doesn't matter, I still love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksROv1dBqHc

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom