• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Darlin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man has this thread gotten convoluted & enlightening all at the same time!

First off, Stephen Vakil, I was referring to the Steven J. Gross post when he said that he thought he heard the line "Darlin', got to get you into my life" also in THE ORIGINAL Beach Boys recording of Darlin'. The line DOES NOT appear in the Beach Boys version. Whew.

Harry is on to something. I just got done spinning my vinyl copy about 50 times! And I think Harry is right. After all these years, I now believe that Herb is actually singing "Darlin, gotta to get you OUT of my life"!

But then again why should we be surprised, leave it to Herb Alpert not only to totally rearrange a classic tune and make it his own, but with just one single line, he also manges to totally change the meaning and his intent.
That's why after all these years, we still love him!:cool:

CherryStreet said:
First off, Stephen Vakil, I was referring to the Steven J. Gross post when he said that he thought he heard the line "Darlin', got to get you into my life" also in THE ORIGINAL Beach Boys recording of Darlin'. The line DOES NOT appear in the Beach Boys version. Whew.

Now I understand!

Who started this thread, anyway? :D

Stephen

Captain Bacardi said:
I also hear "Got to get you OUT of my life". I always assumed that was his goodbye to first wife Sharon.

Capt. Bacardi

Well now, THAT makes sense...

Harry

Everybody hears something different. What I hear is, "Darlin' gotta get you over my dear."

I don't think it matters what Herb actually said. It was just punctuation to the coda, a "scat" vocal to enrich the mix. He did that a lot throughout the TJB.

=Mike A.

As I said, I clearly hear "out of" (or actually, "outta"). The vocal trails off so as to make the final word fairly unintelligible, and I question if it's possible that he says "...mind" instead of "...life?" That again changes the entire meaning of the song.

Just some food for thought.

Harry

I seem to hear a "got to get you into my life"...! Yeh, the scat-type of ad-lib Herb gives this song is hard to decipher through...

But, I'm sure he wanted to keep the fun-lovin' sound of the Beach Boys' version intact, even amid his current vision in light of his Warm-hangover of the time...

The melancholy theme of things could suggest that the line is "out of", but I didn't really hear it that way...

(And then there's that brief "pause", before the band blows it out again, "takin' it home...!"...!) :winkgrin:

Dave

A minor point for "Cherry Street." And a slight digression, since I'm a BB fanatic as well as a TJB fanatic.

The Beach Boys "Wild Honey" album was not actually culled from the shelved "Smile" album. That was "Smiley Smile," released in Sept. '67, which had simpler, re-worked versions of a handful of the Smile tracks. "Wild Honey" was a whole new and separate collection, recorded shortly thereafter and released in December to help satisfy Capitol contract demands. It was similar in tone to "Smiley Smile," being very simple in its production.

I heard Herb's version on "Summertime" long, long before the original when I bought the album in '71; it is one of my favorites from the album...I was too young at the time to associate it with the BB's, and was only vaguely familiar with the names Brian Wilson and Mike Love. Boy has THAT every changed. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom