• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Dave Alpert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numero Cinco

The question of which century we musically visit "Acapulco" prompts me to ask something I've long wondered: Who is Dave Alpert, its listed composer (and that of "Comin' In the Back Door," among others)? Does anyone know his biographical details?

Numero Cinco said:
The question of which century we musically visit "Acapulco" prompts me to ask something I've long wondered: Who is Dave Alpert, its listed composer (and that of "Comin' In the Back Door," among others)? Does anyone know his biographical details?

Dave is Herb's brother, who was a drummer. If I remember right Dave had a lot to do with remodeling the A&M studios after Herb & Jerry acquired them.

Capt. Bacardi

I assumed there must be some relation and was guessing it was sibling. Why is Dave Alpert alternatively known as Eldon Allan, per a discographical credit at Rudy's A & M Corner? Was "Dave" a nickname?

I suspect that "Eldon Allen" was a pen name chosen so that the early record would not appear to be entirely "Alpert." This practice is not unheard of in the arts field (Richard Bachman & Stephen King for example). Once Alpert became a household name, brother Dave got the credit he deserved. He also joined in on drums during the Wechter tribute (as did Hal Blaine).

As for "Comin' In The Back Door" I don't have anything here to refer to except the Timeless Music 3-CD set which has asolutely NO credits or anything for reference but IINM, wasn't it by someone named Turner?

--Mr Bill

Scott Turner wrote COMIN' IN THE BACK DOOR, and also wrote several other songs, but I don't recall the names right off-hand.

Dan

My apology to all, especially Mr. Bill, and my thanks to Dan Bolton for setting me straight: "Comin' In"'s composer was indeed Scott Turner, not Dave Alpert.

I seem to recall that both Turner and Dave Alpert penned other songs for the TJB and BMB, but obviously my memory's not to be trusted.

I appreciate the watchdogs on this board who help one another keep the facts straight. Would that their were more of you in the nation's capital, though I fear you wouldn't keep your jobs there for very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom