Did RC ever use kettledrums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

This morning on the way to work I felt like going a little retro and I listened to Dream Academy's "Life in a Northern Town". Great song. I especially like the dramatic use of kettledrums in the arrangement (are kettledrums ever NOT dramatic?). It made me wonder if Richard employed kettledrums in any of the C's tunes. Anyone know?

Tony

Off the top of my head I don't think he ever did, although he did employ the use of pedal steel guitars and similar unusual instruments, to especially good use on The Uninvited Guest and Honolulu City Lights.

I guess the one song where they could be buried away in is Man Smart Woman Smarter - there's so much going on there it's unreal!

Stephen

You know, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect that kettledrums were used on "Don't Cry for Me Argentina"? After all, they used a full orchestra for that. I can't think of anything else.

As for Karen playing kettledrums, I don't know if she did or didn't. But she DID have some on the set for her drum solo in the 1976 TV special.

Tony

Kettle drums (also known as tympani) were indeed used in "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" with the full orchestra though not played by Karen. One place off the top of my head where I know that Karen DID play the kettle drums is on the "Mark Rudolph" DJ contest portion of the Now & Then oldies medley (outtakes of this piece are on the boxed sets).

They were also used on "Hurting Each Other", however I'm uncertain as to whether it was Karen playing them, or or Hal [Blaine] who played them (since Hal did the drumming on that track).

Ok, Richard says it was actually percussionist Gary Coleman who played the parts on the recording of Hurting Each Other, as it also required many pre-tuned tymps.

Was just listening to the Ticket To Ride album and kettle drums are used on "Someday". Amazing what you hear when you're listening for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom