Feb 4 has come and gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHIL

I'm surprised that nobody posted to mark 24 years since Karen's passing. I always think of her on that day, I can still remember exactly where I was when I heard the news. Even though all the years have passed, I still feel sad at the waste of a fantastic talent. Thank God for records/CD's/videos etc!!

I, too, don't think I'll ever forget the day or where I was at the time. This year, I didn't post here, but sent Richard a little note to let him know I'm thinking of him. That's about all we can do.

Marilyn

That was kind of you, Marilyn. I know Richard has his large family around him, but I'm sure he still feels wistful about what might have been. Don't the years just fly past?

Phil

I read and wrote thoughts and feelings on Feb. 4th at other groups.
I think of Karen on the day, I cannot forget.

This year I have several things with other fans, not only to read and write as every anniversary.
Hearing the same station with other fans, waiting for Carpenters songs...
Enjoying Universal Music's tribute to Karen with other fans....

I got information that Australian radio was going to play Carpenters every hour last weekend. So I sent requests. I thought it was only in Australia but other fans found that we could hear the station as internet radio.
When I started to hear the internet radio, they played '40s and '50s music. I sent a request, "I Can Dream, Can't I" from "Horizon". DJ played Andrew Sisters' version of this song. A few hours later DJ played "Yesterday Once More" both Carpenters version and Sir Cliff Richard's last autumn internet single release with Daniel O'Donnell, I think.

While my kids were seeing last Saturday NHK kids news, my daughter called me, "Carpenters' song!!" They played "Please Mr. Postman"!!

Last Saturday while I was searching for new information at Universal Music Japan site, I found an information about non stop 24-hour Carpenters playing through Yahoo music. I enjoyed it. (They say that Carpenters will be played until 11th, but looks like they quited earlier.)

Last Thursday a DJ who wrote liner notes for Carpenters played "Goodbye To Love" on his NHK FM show.

I still feel very very sad, on the other hand, I'm glad that old fans and new younger fans share thought.

Thank you, Karen!!! Thank you, Richard!!!

Sakura

I did remember her on the 4th, and played a couple of their CDs in my car as I travelled that week.

But here in Singapore, there was, on the 5th, a breakfast concert (at 10am) and a repeat of that concert at 'tea time' (3pm) by one of our local singers, Wendy Chin, who performed at the Singapore Esplanade Recital Studio, an hour plus concert called 'The Songs of the Carpenters' - this was in partial remembrance of her passing 24 years ago. Both concerts did well - full house. She also did a fine job singing many of their hits plus one album cut, my favourite, 'You' from AKOH.

Long Live the Magic that is Karen's voice and the talented Carpenters!

I remember that day too. I was a huge fan at that time and it came across the CBS news brief around 4pm. I could not believe it. I still can't believe it. She had such a short time here, but made such a huge impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom