First batch of TJB CD titles due out Feb. 8, 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hurrah! What wonderful news!

I hope Shout! has enough dinero to publicize these reissues and put them, not only in our hands, but in those of pop music lovers around the world who don't know what they've been missing.

Thank you Shout!, Mr. Levine, and especially Mr. Alpert!

I'd Like to get the Christmas album, I never heard it since I wasn't around back when it was relased. Any Idea as to when it will come out, if ever? tymo

Hello everyone! I am a new member on this forum.

First of all, I am so excited about the two re-releases of Herb Alpert and the TJB's CD. I own many of the original CD releases and am anxious to see if there is a difference in sound quality with the new CDs.

In response to the last post on this topic, I would also like to get the Christmas Album on CD. I am debating whether to spend $80 on a brand new, sealed copy of this CD or wait until this CD is re-released. I might be waiting quite a long time for this one, as it was first released in 1968.

In my opinion, I think you're better off waiting. $80 is a lot to spend on one disc, especially if it could be released in the next year or so. It was in print for several years on CD, a perennial holiday favorite, so I would expect to see it sooner than other titles.

And welcome! :wave:

It would have been nice for Herb to re-release the Christmas Album this year, just in time for the 2004 Christmas season. I've seen eBay and other used CD webpages loaded with Herb Alpert CDs asking top dollar. Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have spent all that money on those Herb Alpert CDs, especially the impossible-to-find "S.R.O." But then again, who was to know that they would be re-released a few years down the road.

On another note, does anyone know what brand/type trumpet Herb used during the Tijuana Brass years? Just curious, as I am a professional trumpet player. Any information would be great!

And thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Hi Tijuana Sauerkraut,

I second what Rudy said – best to wait. I have the HA & TJB Christmas Album (CD) and it is a joy to listen to, but not an $80.00 dollar joy, especially when the new release is just around the corner – hang in there!

If you need an inexpensive horn blow’n Christmas Album to get you through the Holiday season, check out AL Hirt’s “Have A Merry Little Christmas” CD. It’s been remastered and probable goes for less than $10.00 new.

Of course you could really provoke a bunch of the regular A&M Cornerites and get the Kenny G Christmas CD’s. He’s a real crowd pleaser around here!

Mike said:
Of course you could really provoke a bunch of the regular A&M Cornerites and get the Kenny G Christmas CD’s. He’s a real crowd pleaser around here!

:laugh: If "crowd pleaser" means inflicting torture on unsuspecting ears!! :wink:

There is actually an alternate front cover version on CD that I saw listed earlier today for $29.88 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004W3M1/amcorne-20

It is on the Spectrum label, which I believe is an A&M licensee from another country. NO idea about sound quality though. I still say it's worth waiting for a better remaster to come along. :thumbsup:

I'll take your suggestions and wait for the HA & TJB Christmas Album CD... $80 is an awful lot of money for 1 CD...

I am also a fan of Al Hirt... just got finished listening to some sound samples from the "Have a Merry Little Christmas" CD. Not bad... a little on the jazzy side... but I like it. Enough to tide me over until the Christmas CD of all Christmas CDs is re-released. Thanks for the recommendation!

:bigsanta:

Tijuana Sauerkraut said:
On another note, does anyone know what brand/type trumpet Herb used during the Tijuana Brass years? Just curious, as I am a professional trumpet player. Any information would be great!

And thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Herb Alpert played a Benge trumpet made in Chicago in 1951, by Elden Benge. Thus, the name Chicago Benge.

He has played other instruments, including trumpets made by King, Marcinkiewicz, and Kanstul, but the Chicago Benge is the trumpet that is heard on the original TJB recordings, and is his favorite trumpet.

"Dance and sing and have a fling while the bells go ting-a-ling!"

Every year I pull out that Hirt LP and put on "Nutty Jingle Bells". Puts me in the holiday spirit.

Does the 'G' in Kenny G stand for Grinch?

Bob 'get the' Knack said:
Does the 'G' in Kenny G stand for Grinch?

I believe it stands for either "Grating" or "Gawdawful."

--Mr Bill
sorry to offend any Kenny G fans out there...

No no no no! I was having a little fun at Kenny G's expense and was largely referring to older posts. Sure, I remember Chicago -- I'm largely in the same boat with LA City Schools education (but was fortunate to have had one decent teacher who took time with her students as opposed to the "outcome-based" mindset of others that has become the standard). I shouldn't've made that wisecrack and I apologize, Bob. Especially since there were NO punctuation errors in your post. I hope you'll accept my apology and forgive a curmudgeon suffering from MAWASPHCM Syndrome!

--Mr Bill
altering his previous post after some soul-searching...

So... does anyone have any ideas as to where the news CDs will be available for purchase and when they will start appearing on webpages for pre-order purchases? Like every other HA & TJB fan, I'm getting quite anxious about the three new HA & TJB CDs that will be coming out.

I CAN'T WAIT!!! :D

At least one Shout! Factory title was carried by Amazon and CD Universe - last years YULESVILLE compilation, so I'd assume that they'll carry the new Alpert CDs. Look for it on CD Universe first - they always seem to get the listings updated first.

Harry
...patiently waiting, online...

Steven J. Gross said:
Bumping up this thread. It's the biggest Herb news since the site began :)

I certainly agree...Herb is what A&M was all about; he is the "main man."

Bringing back all these TJB albums is the biggest thing that has happened in the A&M world since the creation of A&M itself and the creation of the TJB sound and style, IMO.

I am waiting patiently for them to arrive...

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass ride again...Ole! :thumbsup:

I also give my vote of acclamation, backing Rudy's suggestion to await the release of the TJB Christmas CD. I have a very good copy of the vinyl myself, so the CD probably won't be high on my wish list for next year, but I'm eagerly looking forward to February.

However, I have a thought--actually, a fear--lurking in the back of my head, as I'm sure many of you do as well. I hate to play devil's advocate, but do any of you think there's a significant chance of Shout! just pulling his catalogue altogether, and coming out with nothing? Has an entire overhaul happened before that you know of, or would it be entirely unprecedented? Regardless, I would think prospective customers would be furious if Alpert's releases were pulled; I know I would be!

After all these years, I can't imagine Herb making this arrangement without every last detail worked out. Look at the facts - any label getting rights to the Herb Alpert collection is essentially getting the keys to the mint! The way I see it, Herb has all the leverage in this deal.

Steve Sidoruk said:
After all these years, I can't imagine Herb making this arrangement without every last detail worked out. Look at the facts - any label getting rights to the Herb Alpert collection is essentially getting the keys to the mint! The way I see it, Herb has all the leverage in this deal.

This also feels to me like Jerry Moss may have had a hand in negotiating this also. And to pick a small specialty label like Shout!Factory meant that Herb (and Jerry, if he was involved) saw something about Shout!Factory that they liked, and trusted, to do the best job of producing and distributing these titles. I'm sure Universal would have loved to have done this, but they would only have wanted maybe the top three or four titles.

Maybe that's why they went away from Universal....they said, "you either agree to release the whole catalog, or no deal." That ties in with Herb's pride in his catalog and not wanting to exploit it improperly - (no twofers, etc.).

Or it could be that he's just totally pissed at Universal. Who wouldn't be? :D I recall they had a few legal scuffles. And I'm sure Universal is still hurting over not being able to control those masters. :wink:

A friend on Underground Fire posted just today that ICE magazine had an article on Herb's rereleases, and that all of them are to be released with bonus tracks. Is this the same project, or are there two record companies doing separate projects? I checked the ICE website, but could find no Alpert article.

Either way, this is the best music news I've heard in years, even though I've finally obtained decent CDs of all of Herb's music. But I figure I'm not the only fan that will have many duplications...

Dave

I would really like to read this article for myself. Every rendition of it so far has been a slightly different tune! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom