• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Gold Greatest Hits (K2 HD Master) New Release Oct 18 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Amazon is showing a new release, have we talked about this K2 HD Mastering before? How does this bit/Hz differ from the A Song for You MFSL GOLD CD

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Greatest...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312656525&sr=1-1

• Audio CD(October 18, 2011)
  • Original Release Date:2011
  • Number of Discs:1
  • Label:K2 HD
  • ASIN: B0049KWAVY
$39.56

This 20 track compilation features the most popular tracks by the Connecticut-born brother/sister duo. Their fusion of easy listening and MOR pop brought The Carpenters a decade of chart success. Carpenters Gold includes fourteen tracks which reached the UK top 40 in the 1970's. This anthology is also a tribute the great talents of the Paul Williams/Roger Nichols song writing team, from whose pens flowed Rainy Days and Mondays, We've Only Just Begun, I Won't Last a Day Without You, and other mellow, tuneful gems -- some of the classiest pure pop music of the era. This recording has been mastered by the K2 HD format of 24-bit/100kHz, which creates an unbelievable sound surpassing other formats. This K2 HD CD will play on all CD players.

I found this on another website, here it says:
Limited Edition K2 HD Mastering Japanese Import CD

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=UNIHDI998N

unihdi998.jpg

Here is amazon's pic
51Loz2vm-ZL._SS500_.jpg

Still unsure if this is a Japan Import because this release is showing on Amazon Japan and they show it as a US Import to Japan. The website above says it's a Japan import. There is one on ebay for sale now with Japanese sticker on the front. So I'm confused if this is a US release or a Japan import.

Here is the ebay photo
!C!WL1bQB2k~$(KGrHqQOKkIEzJYk9)nuBNClTiRuBw~~_12.JPG

arrghhh is it worth buying? Not what I was hoping for from a 'new release', but... Does anyone have a CD with K2HD mastering? Worth it or not?

Ok it appears we already had a topic on this release. LOL

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/threads/carpenters-gold-k2hd-cd-version-just-released.10677/

It looks like it was released back in 2010
"Carpenters - Gold - Greatest Hits K2HD CD"
Limited Numbered Hong Kong Edition (1,000 only)
100KHz / 24bit K2 HD Mastering CD
Made in Japan
Manufactured and mastered by FLAIR, Victor Entertainment Inc. in Japan
Released by Universal Music Hong Kong in 2010

I wonder if what we have now is a US version of this release?

I saw something interesting about the release coming up next month. On my first post I copied what I saw (at the time) from Amazon on the release and it mentions that it will contain 1 CD (see above)

Today, I noticed that it has changed to "number of discs 3". If you search the ASIN # it brings you to the Japan site and Canadian site of Amazon and it also mentions 3 discs but it also mentions added info that is not on the US site but backs up the reason why they have changed it from 1 to 3 discs.

http://www.amazon.ca/Gold-Greatest-Hits-K2hd-Carpenters/dp/B0049KWAVY
Album Description

CD one features the 20 all-time greatest hits including 'We've Only Just Begun', '(They Long To Be) Close To You', & many more! CD two - The Carpenters play the Christmas songbook featuring 17 Christmas classics. The DVD (NTSC/Region 0) features 15 classic promo videos remastered in Dolby Digital. Packaged in a multi-panel digipak with a slipcase. Universal. 2003.
Album Details

Universal Sound and Vision Deluxe Package features 20 all Time Greatest Hits that Includes the Albums "Carpenters Gold" and "Christmas Portrait". The Dvd (Ntsc/All Regions) Includes 15 Classic Promo Videos Remastered in Dolby Digital. Includes Exclusive Liner Notes in an Eight Panel Dvd-sized Digipack Housed in a Slipcase.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Gold-Greatest-Hits-K2hd-Carpenters/dp/B0049KWAVY
Google's Translation page for Japan's link
says this:
The contents ("CD Journal" more)
大ベストセラー『カーペンターズ・ゴールド』に『クリスマス・ポートレイト』、DVD『DVDゴールド』の3作品を特別パッケージ。​
Best seller "Carpenters Gold" to "Christmas Portrait", DVD "DVD Gold" special package of three works.
彼らの代表曲はもちろん収録。​
Their songs included representatives of the course.
3枚セットでこの価格はお得。​
This price deals in sets of three.

I also believe that this K2 HD release originally came out as a Japan exclusive release, however the release next month is clearly a US release as Japan's site says it's an import from the US.

What do you make of all this and changes from 1 disc to 3.

This recording has been mastered by the K2 HD format of 24-bit/100kHz, which creates an unbelievable sound surpassing other formats. This K2 HD CD will play on all CD players.

Just marketing hyperbole. I would be willing to bet that even the Remastered Classics were transfered at 96kHz/24-bit. There is no advantage bumping up a mere 4kHz in sampling rate (from 96 to 100kHz). In fact, not being an industry standard sampling rate, that means it has to be down-converted to 44.1kHz anyway, which is not ideal. It would actually be better to remaster at an exact multiple--some of my needle drops were done at 88.2kHz to reduce sampling errors.

I wouldn't waste my money if I were expecting an improvement in sound. At the end of the day, it is still a lowly 44.1kHz/16-bit CD. If this were an SACD release or high-res at an actual 96kHz/24-bit, I'd be more impressed.

Seems like Universal Hong Kong has more marketing money than brains. Adding more fancy "technologies" (K2? HD CD?) might sell in some markets, but it's not like you'll hear a bit of difference in the digital technology. If anything, a different EQ during mastering may make the tonal balance sound different, but that's the extent of it.

I also noticed that the price of this keeps going up, it started at $39.56 and now it's up to $44.68. It still has me interested into if this is 3 discs or 1. I've never heard of Christmas Portrait being released as a stand alone 17 tracks (unless of course in one of the Japan box sets). It's usually combined as the Special Edition.

I also wouldn't be suprised if this never gets released and goes to unavailable.

I hope not I've had this ordered since Sept. 3rd. So far my acct says delivery Oct. 19th. We'll see and I'll letcha know.

Jeff

My cd arrived yesterday. I listened intently with all the aural scrutiny my ears could muster and did I hear great things? This sounds beautifully mastered but very close to its predecessor. There isn't anything that I regret about buying this. The packaging is a nice sort of hardbound bi-fold. There are extensive liner notes and the look is very impressive. Long story short a great listen. But you decide if this is something that completes your set. It is kinda like the ASFY mobile fidelity thing. I was waiting for a wow factor and tho impressed never overwhelmed by it.

Jeff

I received my copy of this release today. As mentioned above, it contains 1 CD not 3. This was misprinted on Amazon website. I'm not sure where the 3 CD set came from, maybe at some point in the past this was issued as 3 CD's I really don't know. In any case I have been able to give it a quick run through in my car comparing it CD for CD against my Gold 35th anni edition 2 CD set. I don't really know much about this K2 HD CD stuff but there are 2 full pages inside the booklet bind that comes in both Japanese and English.

This CD is like a cover book with the booklet attached like a binder, inside are several photos in color look to be the same as the ones in the Gold 35th 2 CD set. There are 4 pages written by John Tobler dated 2000. The liner notes for each song are here (6 pages) and some are rather long, it appears to be written by John Tobler. I have not read them all yet so I am unsure if these notes are new or from prev releases. At first glance they appear to be new because as I mentioned some appear very long about each song.

The CD has it's own heavy paper cut out placement and the CD comes with a rice paper sleeve which is appropriate for this release. For some reason I thought this was a US release. I guess Amazon Japan got me confused about it because they had mentioned that it was a US import to Japan to obtain it. However this CD was made in Japan. The K2HD was mastered by FLAIR. The Master Engineer is Hakamata Takeshi. The back cover book has Universal logo, A & M logo, Compact Disc logo and K2HDCD Mastering logo. It also says 2000, 2010 A&M Records Inc. Marketed & Distributed by Universal Music Ltd, Manufactured in Japan and Printed in Hong Kong.

On to the sound, I have not spent alot of time yet but it sounds a little different to me, it seems clearer sounding and there are nuances I'm hearing compared to the other Gold CD. The instruments at times sound a bit brighter and clearer sounding. It's not major but I hear some differences.

I'll report more after I've had some time to listen.

Hmmm...the packaging is kinda like the individual CD's in the Japanese 40th anniversary SHMCD set. Even the disc looks similar.

I'm curious now. I might have to get this.

This album called GOLD was issued in the UK in 2000 as a single-disc hits package. It sold well and was even reissued with a reverse gold-colored cover and black printing.

This K2HD release is an Asian suped-up version of that 2000 disc. So the single version of "Solitaire" hadn't yet come out when this disc was put together in 2000.

Harry

Listening this morning I found 2 weird sounds on 2 of the songs. On Close to You at the first 10 secds of the song I hear what sounds like a couple notes fading or dropping in and out. It happens again on Ticket to Ride but only on the first 35 secds.

Since Jeff is the only other person posted as having this, Jeff could you listen to these and see if you hear this on your Cd. It seems to only appear 10 seconds in on CTY and 35 seconds in on TTR.

I'm not sure if its suppose to sound like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom