Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Numero Cinco said:
Chinese Sausage said:
I'm gonna try (again) and get the album today. … Wish me luck!

Good luck, Mr. Sausage. :bigsanta:

I love Herb Alpert and the Brass. And I am a bona fide sucker for Christmas music. All that is why I wish I enjoyed this album more than I can make myself. Here are some reasons for my discontent.

1. Oil and water don't mix; neither does The Brass and this seasonal genre. This, for me, is the weakest of my own reasons, the easiest for me to dispute. On its face, Stan Kenton's Big Band would seem to have almost nothing in common with Christmas music; yet his own Christmas album boasts (to my taste) some incredible charts that are unmistakably Kenton. It's not that Herb's album is any the less distinctive: This album is his sound, all right. What I miss, however—on most of its tracks—is fresh insight into familiar melodies.

2. Missed opportunities among song selections. Here I'm not faulting Herb's opting for secular rather than sacred songs. The latter would likely have been even more ill-fitting to The Brass's treatment. (And yet I think "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" is tastefully done—if only the lead performer's lip had been in better shape at that point.) No, I'm thinking of songs like "Silver Bells," "White Christmas," "I'll Be Home for Christmas," and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"—any of which could have been beautifully transposed into the Alpert sensibility, none of which appear here. With only ten tracks, the original LP could surely have accommodated one or more of them, minus some novelties that made the cut.

3. Arrangements that don't quite gel. The Shorty Rogers intros and accompaniments, with the PAMS jinglers (thanks, Tony!), are quietly harmonic and often inventive (with cute quotations from songs mercifully unperformed, like "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and "Christmas Bells"). Yet those intros seem to me often detached from what they are introducing.

4. Arrangements that misfire, like "Sleigh Ride." Usually, I stand in jaw-dropping awe at Mr. A.'s arrangements of standards. With "Sleigh Ride," especially that "vaudeville cake-walk" section after the drum-roll, I can't figure out what the hell he was trying to do.

5. Concepts we've heard before, with other tracks on other albums: I enjoy "Jingle Bell Rock," a perfect TJB adaptation, but, with "Mame" and "Freckles," I feel like I've heard it before. Herb's "sprung" rhythm for the 3/4-time "My Favorite Things" sounds to my ear repetitive of his similar trick with the 9/8 "A-Mer-I-Ca," which we may never hear on CD if Herb doesn't put his signature on Volume 2. Come to think of it: His clever lead-in to that Bernstein stage-song was "Jingle Bells"!

My wife and I jokingly refer to the closing bars of Herb's "Favorite Things" as "A James Bond Christmas," since the repetitive chord structure of the backing strings mirrors that of the famous theme by Monty Norman (or John Barry; take your choice).

Am I happy to have this CD back in print, remastered at its slightly faster tempo? You bet. The original cover and lettering are a joy to behold, and this time we were spared Mr. What's-His-Name for more intelligent liner notes.

Do I regret having bought my usual threefer of this reissue? Not at all.

Will I still play this at Christmas? Of course. Like all albums I grew up hearing, especially at Christmas, it's part of my life's soundtrack.

Do I think it's Herb at his finest? Not a chance.

Did I vote for a favorite track? Yep: "Las Mañanitas." It's not especially seasonal. It's a lovely melody, beautifully arranged TJB, harking back to the pure sound of South of the Border.

Generally speaking, I agree with you on all the above...except that I'm not all that into Christmas music in general...a little goes a long way with me - for some reason, I get bored with it pretty quickly. I'd probably listen to this album more than other Christmas music simply because it is, in fact, TJB.

Overall, I like the album, but after a little listening, I find myself heading on back to the other TJB albums - from Lonely Bull on to BOTB. Even at Christmas.

I guess the main attraction for me is similar to your comment about the album being a part of the soundtrack of life from the period - it's a "period piece" that needs to be in the collection of any serious fan of Herb Alpert and the TJB music.

In a similar way, I'll be looking forward to the release of WARM (assuming it does get released). I don't like the sound of the trumpet on WARM, but, for me, it is the album that basically closes out the decade of the sixties (although TBAC might be the nominee for "decade closer" instead). It will be a part of any complete collection.

As I was writing that last post, I couldn't help but think of my favorite Christmas cartoon, HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS...wonder if it influenced Herb's arrangement of SLEIGH RIDE, at least a little? I jusrt keep seeing that little dog with the antler tied to his head trying to pull that goodie-filled sleigh up that big hill, then the people of the town singing together, even without the presents...which the Grinch ends up bringing back, anyway...

This year, it's gonna be easier than ever to be a real Grinch for a lot of people...myself included...it's been a really tough year! I'm fighting the urge, and Herb's Christmas album really makes it a lot easier to get into the Christmas Spirit, sometimes, I don't know what I'd do without it...

Dan

Dave said:
Yes, "Sleigh Ride" has a very underrated arrangement--and dropping a line from "12-Days Of Christmas (Partridge In A Pear Tree)" into it, as well...

Shorty's quotation of "The Twelve Days" is not in "Sleigh Ride" but rather "Winter Wonderland"—one of the album's more successful Brass conversions, IMHO.

Talk about tough years and tough times... :cry:

If I could go back to the time when the Christmas album was first released...I sure would make some different choices and decisions than I did back then. As the old adage goes..."if I knew then what I know now..." :confused:

Numero Cinco said:
Dave said:
Yes, "Sleigh Ride" has a very underrated arrangement--and dropping a line from "12-Days Of Christmas (Partridge In A Pear Tree)" into it, as well...

Shorty's quotation of "The Twelve Days" is not in "Sleigh Ride" but rather "Winter Wonderland"—one of the album's more successful Brass conversions, IMHO.

Whoops! Forgot, I guess... :oops: Well, both songs do fit that theme, however... :badteeth:

Dave

...Walkin' through a LEAFY Wonderland!:cool:

I finally listened to the remaster the other night while setting up our store's model train display for Christmas, and again today.

The sound is great, much better than the A&M CD.

I re-read the liner notes when I got home. I hadn't noticed until this reading that they are not by Josh Kun. I wonder why? (Although if Herb read the previous editions, I can see why he'd demand a change.)

Thank you Captaindave, I've already got The Christmas Album. Indeed sounds better than the original CD. A bit louder, crisper and a bit more high frequencies.

I too believe that Sleigh Ride is underrated and agree with Dan's description of the ups and lows of the track. This song is often missed on many Christmas compilations, and I'm glad Herb covered it well.:cool:

Numero 5,

Could not agree with with you more on the ending of "Favorite Things"
But make no bones about it, John Barry, not M. Norrman is the true (uncredited) author of The James Bond Theme

Numero Cinco said:
Dave said:

Sure it is -- it's in both. In the middle of Winter Wonderland and the very first notes of Sleigh Ride. Although I'll grant the point to the second writer that the reference in Wonderland is the more clever one. In fact, Winter Wonderland has my favorite use of Shorty Rogers' singers and the intro to Sleigh Ride seems to be the most redundant. Except by my earlier argument that both parts of the track are about frenetic energy which wears down and then starts up again.

David

I was listening to the Carpenters rendition of "Let it Snow" on XM today when it struck me that Herb A. is one of the few, if not the only, person recording this song to get the true "feeling" of it right.

Listen to the words -- it's a love song, very tender romantic lyrics, yet most artists treat it as a bouncy, upbeat Jingle-Bell-Rock type of song. Herb gives it a nice slow reading, which when I first heard it back in the 60s I didn't like it much -- I always preferred Herb's snappier stuff back then -- but now I realize, he caught the true spirit of the lyrics in his arrangement.

We had our Christmas dinner for stewards and Board members last night and I brought the TJB Xmas CD to play. There was quite a few people interested in hearing it, and nobody seemed to know that it was even available. I had a couple of requests to copy the CD, but I told them to stop being so cheap and spend $12 on their own and get it. I made sure to let these guys know that the reissues are out, and some said they would get at least the Whipped Cream CD (I made sure to tell them of the poster inside :wink: ).

Capt. Bacardi

By the way,

Has anyone noticed the similar theme between "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" and the problem Linda Lovelace had in that movie? Was she "The Belle That Couldn't Jingle"? Sorry Burt.

Merry Christmas.

Looking at the site where we purchase our CDs, CHRISTMAS ALBUM is currently the top seller in the TJB catalog, followed by DEF HITS. The reissues all follow in alphabetical order, which means they're not selling at all. :sad: Hey Shout Factory, whatever happened to the marketing campaign and "hitting them over the head with a 2x4" and all that?

Well, the familiar sounds of the Herb Alpert & TjB Christmas album were playing at a store I went to--and had in stock--in the JAZZ-Section, actually!

Still wondering where my radio station I listen to got such a good, clean-sounding "My Favorite Things", "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Winter Wonderland" from... :o ...Two-Years ago!! :shock:

Dave :oneeye:

While I was walking through Marshall Field's department store at lunch today, a costumed bunch of "Jingle Elves" came bounding through the aisles in the Frango Mint section while Herb's Jingle Bell Rock was blasting through the sound system.

Nick's "heeeeey ya!, scared the heck out of some of the elderly shoppers.

I hope Herb gets his royalty.

in the JAZZ-Section

This could be part of Herb's marketing problem -- nobody knows where to put his music. The TJB material is not jazz, not ez listening, not rock & roll, but a style unto itself. Too bad every store can't have a "classic A&M" department!

I heard "Jingle Bell Rock" on XM this afternoon, on the "Traditions" holiday channel I believe (XM 104). I was on the way to Staples, where I picked up the XM Roady2 for just $14.99 after an instant rebate. It's going to be a gift... :wink:

Mike Blakesley said:
in the JAZZ-Section

This could be part of Herb's marketing problem -- nobody knows where to put his music. The TJB material is not jazz, not ez listening, not rock & roll, but a style unto itself. Too bad every store can't have a "classic A&M" department!

This is where Borders has been putting ol' Herb....though if I had a store, not sure where I'd put his stuff beyond 'A'...:D '60s POP, perhaps? Instrumental Pop? Preferable over jazz, which is utterly ridiculous....

:ed:
12041606-Ti.gif

Get those Roadys while you can - they are discontinued. We can't even get'em anymore. (New model Roady XT is selling most places for $79, with a $30 mail in rebate.)

Mike Blakesley said:
Get those Roadys while you can - they are discontinued. We can't even get'em anymore. (New model Roady XT is selling most places for $79, with a $30 mail in rebate.)

I thought about buying both and selling one on eBay or Amazon. :wink: Figured they were discontinued--I ordered one home kit for the one I have, and I may end up getting a second home kit for the one I just bought.

I got a special e-mail deal direct from XM for a $50 rebate on a RoadyXT, which puts it at $29. I almost went for it, but I believe it required a 6-month activation, and I don't know if that would apply to a "family plan" activation or not. Good deals on the MyFi right now too, and it comes with home AND car kits.

...Too bad every store can't have a "classic A&M" department...!

Yes, like One Store that I know of did, long ago, in its Used Vinyl! :winkgrin:

Dave

...remembering, online... :love:

I finally broke down and bought it.
I'll probably will wait until December 1st.
I've never heard it before, so it should be fun. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom