How many Carpenters LPs / CDs do you have total?

Wow, I'm seriously impressed by everyone else. All I have is the first four albums on LP and a 45 of "Rainy Days and Mondays" - not even sure I still have the right to call myself a Carpenters fan! :)

I’m in the same boat. Only have the original studio albums up to Hush, the vinyl Live in Japan, and the 45 of Postman. None are mint condition as I played them endlessly back in the days when my record player was working.

I’m in the same boat. Only have the original studio albums up to Hush, the vinyl Live in Japan, and the 45 of Postman. None are mint condition as I played them endlessly back in the days when my record player was working.
I had to give up my LPs. We no longer had a functioning turntable, and we were moving from our house to a tiny apartment, so anything extra that we didn't need or weren't using had to go. Our LP and cassette tape collections were among those items. Goodwill took every bit of it, so I'd like to think they ended up someplace besides a landfill.

In a post here many years ago I told the story of how, when I went off to college in 1984, my mom decided to have a garage sale to get some money to send her starving college child - me. In that event she sold almost all of my Carpenters albums and 45's, at "garage sale" prices (along with my Elton John collection, etc - not just Carpenters).
I have since replaced most everything and have added a few new ones, plus books and other items, but my collection (I hesitate to even call it that, after what some of you have posted here!) sits at a paltry less than 50.

All of my Carpenters' CDs, DVDs, LPs and EPs are Brazilian editions. Here we go:

LPs:

A Song For You (1972)
Now & Then (1973)
The Singles (1969-1973) (1974)
Horizon (1975)
A Kind Of Hush (1976)
Passage (1977)
Made In America (1981)
Voice Of The Heart (1983)

CDs:

Twenty-Two Hits Of The Carpenters (1995)
Love Songs (1997)
Carpenters: The Essential Collection (1965 - 1997) (2002) (4 CDs)

DVDs:

Close To You: Remembering The Carpenters (1997)
Carpenters Live at BBC (1971)
Carpenters Like at Budokan (1974)
Carpenters Gold (Sound + Video) Collection: 1 DVD and 2 CD: "Carpenters Gold" and "Christmas Portrait" (2003)

EPs:

Carpenters: 4 Sucessos - Vol. 3 (1976)

..., but my collection (I hesitate to even call it that, after what some of you have posted here!) sits at a paltry less than 50.
You're way ahead of me! I would call what you have a collection.

When I still owned LPs, I had all of their studio releases, including A Kind of Hush, Made in America and Voice of the Heart, plus both Christmas albums. But when it came time to replace all of those with CDs, I chose only those albums I am drawn to listen to again and again. So those three studio albums, plus the Christmas albums, didn't make the cut. I'm glad that songs I do like from the three studio albums are included in one or more of the compilations.

The last time I checked, I had 29 copies of 'Ticket To Ride', but I still don't have the one I want. :twisted::twisted:

Signed,
Whacked Out In Chicago

Okay, I’ll bite. After acquiring 29 copies of TTR, what haven’t you found? One that has no distortion on Someday, and other tracks ? Between about 14 vinyl copies of Offering, TTR, and 5 Shm and or Cd!s of Offering, and TTR from USA, Japan, and England that I’ve bought, it doesn’t exist. Just wondering if that’s it, or another rarity I’m missing out on? I’m curious now. Thank you.

Between about 14 vinyl copies of Offering, TTR, and 5 Shm and or Cd!s of Offering, and TTR from USA, Japan, and England that I’ve bought, it doesn’t exist. Just wondering if that’s it, or another rarity I’m missing out on? I’m curious now. Thank you.
How many copies of Offering do you own? :shock:

I've considered buying one but it's pretty hard to find one for under $200, which to me is a pretty hefty investment just for one record.

5 reg. + 1 promo. One of the retail versions Richard signed after a Christmas Concert. 1 thin cardboard cover cd in a Japanese box set, so 7.
I started collecting around 1976, so they were only $10-$25 then. The promo was a gift.

LPs:
Offering
Ticket to Ride
Close to You
Carpenters (1 original release, 1 re-release not in the envelope)
A Song For You
Now and Then
Singles 69-73 (1 original, 1 re-release no booklet, 1 Target special release)
Horizon (promo copy)
A Kind of Hush
Passage
Christmas Portrait
Made in America
Voice of the Heart
Yesterday Once More (EMI UK silver cover 2-LPS)
Time
Lovelines
Live in Japan
Live at the Palladium

Cassette
A Song For You
Now and Then
Singles 69-73
Horizon
Christmas Portrait
Made in America
Voice of the Heart
An Old Fashioned Christmas
Lovelines
Time
RC second solo PACC
Karen Carpenter
Yesterday Once More

CD
All the original 80s CD releases plus
Live in Japan
Live at the Palladium
Time
Karen Carpenter
As Time Goes By
Yesterday Once More (US 85 release)
Yesterday Once More Original Master Karaoke
ASFY MFL Gold CD
Christmas Portrait (West Germany)
Icon
Millenium Edition
From the Top (large square box set)
Essentials
Treasures
40/40
Gold
interpretations
Sweet Memory
RD collection
Love Songs
By Request
Perform Carpenter
Singles SACD
Singles 74-78
Ultimate Collection
PBS Singles Collection CD set
RPO (Target version and non-Target version)

About 30-ish 45 rpm singles, some are Memories or Forget Me Nots

Karen Carpenter If I Had You CD single and cassette single

Singles 69-73 8-track

VHS Yesterday Once More
Gold and Interpretations DVDs
Christmas Treasures DVD

I’m sure I’m missing a couple odds and ends…pretty small compared to some of the others here…

Last edited:
Okay, I’ll bite. After acquiring 29 copies of TTR, what haven’t you found? One that has no distortion on Someday, and other tracks ? Between about 14 vinyl copies of Offering, TTR, and 5 Shm and or Cd!s of Offering, and TTR from USA, Japan, and England that I’ve bought, it doesn’t exist. Just wondering if that’s it, or another rarity I’m missing out on? I’m curious now. Thank you.
The original version that I was gifted in 1972 has the traditional tan label with the smaller print style on the title part of the label. The vinyl itself (on both sides) has a larger groove space between tracks (as does the 'Offering' LP). The track listing on the label is also a bolder print than later versions. The back cover on the bottom right has the RIAA logo and not the A&M logo. In 50+ years of collecting, I've only seen two of them with these characteristics. The original copy is trashed (I was 10) and the one I got after that is pretty scuffed up. It's just an example of OCD at its finest, but I obviously enjoy the hunt! I haven't spent big bucks on my copies, thankfully, but I'm sure my buying habits have contributed to many meals at the Carpenter dinner table. :):)

Last edited:
Ahhh, now I remember. I think there was a thread about this a few years ago. Maybe it was you or Billy Rees, or Harry that wrote about that difference. That is indeed a very collectible cover then, and very hard to find. Thank you!

Ahhh, now I remember. I think there was a thread about this a few years ago. Maybe it was you or Billy Rees, or Harry that wrote about that difference. That is indeed a very collectible cover then, and very hard to find. Thank you!
Sure! I feel a bit freakish now, but the truth hurts! :)

The original version that I was gifted in 1972 has the traditional tan label with the smaller print style on the title part of the label. The vinyl itself (on both sides) has a larger groove space between tracks (as does the 'Offering' LP). The track listing on the label is also a bolder print than later versions. The back cover on the bottom right has the RIAA logo and not the A&M logo. In 50+ years of collecting, I've only seen two of them with these characteristics. The original copy is trashed (I was 10) and the one I got after that is pretty scuffed up. It's just an example of OCD at its finest, but I obviously enjoy the hunt! I haven't spent big bucks on my copies, thankfully, but I'm sure my buying habits have contributed to many meals at the Carpenter dinner table. :):)
Hmmm, I wonder if that's the version I had, but ended up having to donate to Goodwill along with all my other LPs. My parents also had this album, along with Close to You and Carpenters. They probably purchased Ticket to Ride after buying Close to You, so it was likely one of the original pressings. I'll bet they're still in my mother's basement. I'm planning to visit in the spring, so I may bring them home with me. And then I can check to see if that Ticket to Ride album has the characteristics you describe.

I do have these on CD NOT on vinyl record:
"Close To You" (remastered)
"Carpenters" (tan) (remastered)
"A Song For You" (remastered)
"Made In America" (remastered)
"Voice Of The Heart" (remastered)
"Lovelines" (Japan CD import which has the album CD sleeve) (remastered)
"Christmas Portrait" (Special Edition 1985 CD) (NOT the West Germany CD)
"Christmas Collection" (2 CD Set from 1996) (remastered)
"With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra"
"Singles 1969 - 1981"
"The Essential Collection" (1965 - 1997) (from 2002) (CD box set) &
Richard Carpenter "Pianist, Arranger, Composer & Conductor" & that is it!!!!

I do have these on CD NOT on vinyl record:
"Close To You" (remastered)
"Carpenters" (tan) (remastered)
"A Song For You" (remastered)
"Made In America" (remastered)
"Voice Of The Heart" (remastered)
"Lovelines" (Japan CD import which has the album CD sleeve) (remastered)
"Christmas Portrait" (Special Edition 1985 CD) (NOT the West Germany CD)
"Christmas Collection" (2 CD Set from 1996) (remastered)
"With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra"
"Singles 1969 - 1981"
"The Essential Collection" (1965 - 1997) (from 2002) (CD box set) &
Richard Carpenter "Pianist, Arranger, Composer & Conductor" & that is it!!!!

Good! So you've got "Passage" on vinyl. That's the only way to fly with that record. It sounds so much better on vinyl.

Ed

The original version that I was gifted in 1972 has the traditional tan label with the smaller print style on the title part of the label. The vinyl itself (on both sides) has a larger groove space between tracks (as does the 'Offering' LP). The track listing on the label is also a bolder print than later versions. The back cover on the bottom right has the RIAA logo and not the A&M logo. In 50+ years of collecting, I've only seen two of them with these characteristics.
The one I have meets everything you described except or the small print style on the title part of the label. On this one the title is the same size font as Carpenters So I guess it's just an ordinary copy. The LP really sounds amazing though :)
I looked for this and didn't find anything. The search options were too many. I would love to see what was discussed on the differences. Does anyone remembers what thread that was in?

I have only 1 CD compilation and I believe I have 7 of the lp's.
I was not buying a lot of Carpenters in their heyday as I did not have an income to support a lot of buying.
Most I picked up at thrift stores or as a cutout. The first I bought new was The Singles 1969-1973 and the next lp I bought was Yesterday Once More through the RCA Record Club or through Columbia House. Made In America I found as a cutout.

I also forgot I also have Perry Como Christmas Special DVD (originally on CBS from 1974) with Rich Little, Peggy Fleming & The Carpenters.

My collection. I have a few more items, just haven’t updated in a while

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom