• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

If you found the Keys To The Vault

Status
Not open for further replies.
newvillefan said:
...It's a shame in one way that they were family, because with a voice like that, she could have broken away from any other partner and who knows what might have been...

Yes, Richard & Karen were "family" among themselves, and as well, with everyone all around them... A&M was a "family label" and more than just in a relative sense...!

Dave

Know what's funny in a strange way? I still find any discussion about the solo album fascinating! :) And I love the album...

mstaft said:
Know what's funny in a strange way? I still find any discussion about the solo album fascinating! :) And I love the album...

I agree Mark, I think there will always be an interest in Karen's solo album and I love it too.

Shannon, I disagree and would hope this does not get locked after all where all here because we love the Carpenters, Karen was just an extension of that duo. We sometimes do come full circle and re address thing we may have talked about before but isn't it better than remaining silent and there be no discussion at all? I tend to learn things with each year that passes and if we can't talk about the things we love it would be hard to express how we feel and especially how the Carpenters music and Karen solo career has affected us, some differently but we still love the legacy that has been left behind.

Sakura, what Japanese book were you referring to? The mook?

Harry, Andrea's solo career may have went nowhere but were The Corrs really that much bigger in the US? The only song I ever heard on the radio of the Corrs is always breathless and I still hear it every now and then. I think the Corrs always stuggled to make it big here.

Now, isn't it time to lock this thread as the discussion is not about "keys to the vault" anymore, but a rehash of the same discussion had many, many, times before in a number of previous threads?
From one of your friendly neighborhood moderators: We almost never lock threads for drifting off topic. If we did that, nearly every thread would be locked at some point! As has been pointed out, that's the nature of a "discussion" - it flows from place to place.

Now sometimes, if a thread definitely goes in a new direction -- for example, if this thread got to where it was discussing the solo album exclusively -- then we might "split" that discussion off into a new thread of its own, with a new name. That way both discussions can continue. Sometimes this is done with notice from the moderator staff, depending on who does the actual work and how much time he has to spare. (After all, we all have day jobs too.)

In general, the only time threads get locked is if they get too involved in artists' private lives (or in Karen's case, death); or if two threads get started at the same time on the same topic, we'll lock one just to keep the discussion in the same place. And of course the usual religion/politics ban is still in place.

We never lock a thread for presenting a negative point of view, unless the thread is obnoxious; for example, if somebody started a thread called "Richard Carpenter is a hack piano player" and just dumped on Richard without giving a good argument for the point, then the thread would probably be put into the nuisance file. Whereas if someone started a such a thread but then went into the reasons why he or she felt that way, the thread would be left standing unless it turned into a personal-attack war. (And with a title like that, it certainly could!)

As for rehashing stuff that's been discussed before -- well, that's pretty common on forums such as this. If a person wants to start a discussion on a subject, it IS a good idea do a quick search on the topic desired. It doesn't always work though -- for example, a person searching for a thread on Karen't solo album might include the search terms "Karen Carpenter" and "solo;" but it would still yield a lot of hits. In a case like that it's sometimes easier to start a new thread rather than dig around the archives looking for an old one.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Harry, Andrea's solo career may have went nowhere but were The Corrs really that much bigger in the US? The only song I ever heard on the radio of the Corrs is always breathless and I still hear it every now and then. I think the Corrs always stuggled to make it big here.

In the US? Well, as you said, "Breathless" was a top 30 hit and still gets regular play on Adult Contemporary radio. And other Corrs songs get regular play on music systems. We hear them quite frequently (for an unknown group) out in restaurants.

I've never heard one of Andrea's solo songs outside of my own CD player or self-selecting places like Youtube on the Internet.

Actually though my point was about the world at large. The Corrs have been huge around the world, amassing really large sales of some of their albums topping charts in many countries. Andrea's solo effort largely went unnoticed by most of the world, never getting much airplay in most of the countries that had gone crazy for The Corrs.

As I say, Spain was probably the only place where TEN FEET HIGH charted and was a moderate success.

As for our discussion trailing off toward Karen's solo album, well, it's not really a stretch given that the thread title is about stiff left in the vault. Most of us know about the group of Karen-solo songs that leaked out to the Internet, so it's a logical discussion point in this thread.

Mike's point about the thread being nowhere near a "lockable" stage is a valid one. This discussion has been civil, on-point, and hasn't dealt with truly personal stuff. Discussions about the decision to release/not release the solo album and its ramifications will always be a passionate one among Carpenters fans.

Harry

I'm comfortable at this forum because of great moderators. Even when I wanted to rewrite my post in locked topic, Harry helped me. Thanks again.
About Richard's cars or about the Corrs, Harry accepted our opinions.

Thank you, Neil and moderators!!

(At another forum a Carpenters fan posted an old Christmas card that Carpenters sent her years ago. The card was beautiful, very different than the same card at another Carpenters forum that the color faded. I posted nice comment about the card, but the owner deleted my post, :mad: because she thought my post is impolite to the first poster.

The poster told me that she has a friend who exchanges something with Richard. Does Richard share some unreleased songs?))

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Sakura, what Japanese book were you referring to? The mook?

Not a mook, but the hard cover written by another critic who has written on music for nearly 50 years. I read that she held the event for tribute to Karen and Richard came. She sometimes shared Tatsu's memory about Carpenters.
She appeared on BS-i program for Carpenters. Last time when I heard her on the radio, I was expecting her to talk about Carpenters, some parts of Carpenters songs were played and she translated one of Olivia's songs and talked about Olivia when Olivia came to her radio program. Olivia is one of members of her group for environmental problem. (I just heard old short interview with Olivia in celeb birthday corner of the internet radio, "Have You Never Been Mellow?" and "Dancing Queen"! Last night I heard "Close To You" and "A Taste of Honey" at another internet radio. Back to the book,) the writer wrote lyrics for Akiko and the Police, I think.

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom