• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Interesting Reading on How "A Taste Of Honey" was

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they went back to the old tapes in preparation for a new record, huh? Did Larry just spill some beans, or what? C'mon reissues!!

Dan, hoping some of those outtakes will be included...

DAN BOLTON said:
So they went back to the old tapes in preparation for a new record, huh? Did Larry just spill some beans, or what? C'mon,reissues!!

Dan, hoping some of those outtakes will be included...

There are and were quite a lot of versions of the song out at the time. I read in the story, The Beatles covered it. Mel Carter ("Hold Me, Thrill Me") had a version, as did Johnny Rivers and The Kingston Trio. Wonder if the authors, "Marlowe & Bobby Scott" made a demo or just wrote it.

On A&M, in addition to Herb & The TJB are Chris Montez and the Caribbean Group, Shango.

Dave

...suddenly an "A Taste Of Honey" enthusiast and collector (have the TJB, Montez, Shango, as well as The Kingston Trio's versions), online... :shock:

I also have a version of ATOH by Tom Jones on his LP "GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME", and Barbra Streisand on "THE BARBRA STREISAND ALBUM". But the song will always belong to Herb.

David,
NP: Captain & Tennille's Greatest Hits........

thetijuanataxi said:
I also have a version of ATOH by Tom Jones on his LP "GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME", and Barbra Streisand on "THE BARBRA STREISAND ALBUM". But the song will always belong to Herb.

David,
NP: Captain & Tennille's Greatest Hits........

I agree--The TJB version is the only one I know done as an instrumental and real fast, too. A "Great Moment In Music History" how the musicians were looking for a way to start the song, and Hal Blaine gave them that (Thump, Thump, THUMP, THUMP!) Lead Off-Line! :wink:

I SHOULD look into Tom Jones and Barbra Streisand's versions, as well. Should also see if I can get Johnny Rivers' version back, as well. The rest of the album DID follow suit, but it was a little scratchy. I always thought Rivers was best served by compilations, anyway; have his Two-Disc anthology, and also a reissue of REALIZATION on CD, not issued as a "two-fer" with anything else.

My Kingston Trio LP, with it, CHILDREN OF THE MORNING is at least in tolerable shape, but I found that on CD, with a few tracks from another album the group made earlier.

Dave

So they went back to the old tapes in preparation for a new record, huh? Did Larry just spill some beans, or what? C'mon reissues!!

Since that article was published in February of 2002, I would bet the interviews were conducted in mid-2001, and the "new record" he meant was DEFINITIVE HITS, which came out in March 2001.

Hmmm...been awhile since I took out my 6-LP set, POP HITS COUNTRY FLAVORED (also available with just "Record 1").

Here's a version by Floyd Cramer, complete with the drummer leading the rest of the musicians off JUST LIKE HERB'S VERSION! It is also done as an instrumental (Floyd is pounding out his piano at the SAME TEMPO as Herb & TJB did!). And instead of a brass ensemble, Floyd is accompanied by strings.

And right after "A Taste Of...", is a verison of "Honey", we know mostly as Bobby Goldsboro doing, which I have, as well as Andy Williams' version, too. "Honey" here is done by singer, Hank Snow.

Dave

...also a collector of "Honey"--lots of other versions of it exist--, too...

Bobby Scott wrote the music for the Broadway production of "A Taste Of Honey" for its 1960 American premiere. The jazz-flavored score was used throughout the play. At the time,there were no lyrics written for any of the music. The song as we know it was listed as theme music for the first act. Bobby recorded the score for Atlantic(1355),playing piano, at the time of the premiere. He would later record a super-slow version of the song with lyrics for Warner Bros. in 1969. He may have recorded it other times as well since it became a very successful cash cow for him,yes,due mainly to Herb's hit. Bobby also wrote the music for the Hollies/Neil Diamond hit,"He Ain't Heavy,He's My Brother". Some interesting bits about the play-the cast included Joan Plowright,Angela Lansbury and Billy Dee Williams. Tony Richardson,who directed the play,directed a film version in 1961 starring Rita Tushingham. Richardson would later direct "Tom Jones" which won the Oscar for Best Picture and Director in 1963. Mac

Mike Blakesley said:

Since that article was published in February of 2002, I would bet the interviews were conducted in mid-2001, and the "new record" he meant was DEFINITIVE HITS, which came out in March 2001.

I was kinda afraid of that, but I was hoping against hope...can't blame me for trying...

Dan

Mike Blakesley said:

I was kinda afraid of that, but I was hoping against hope...can't blame me for trying...

Dan

Once again, I have been ambushed by the dreaded WSOD.....

Isn't that a radio station someplace? Don't they play a lot of headbanging heavy metal?

Dan

Mike Blakesley said:

Yeah, we talked about this last year when the magazine came out. It has an older photo of the TJB inside, circa the Going Places days. But it's still a good story! I liked the part where they used 2 different 4-track recorders in those days. Nothin' like patchin' things together. :D

Capt. Bacardi

It's a nice treasure trove of recording studio information about a long-time favorite, "A Taste Of Honey". I particularly like this part, too:

Alpert couldn't resist reminding Levine that the engineer had at one point suggested that Alpert put strings on the track. “So, he laughs and he asks me, ‘Do you still think it needs strings, and do you still think it's a B side?’” Levine laughs. “But I still think strings would have sounded good on it.”

In the video of The Very Best Of Herb Alpert, the song is excized from one of the TV specials (I forget which one, probably the first) - shown with the group playing on the rocks on the beach, with an added giant string section playing at the water's edge. Though as we've commented here about the key being slightly off, it's a great way to sample what Levine probably envisioned.

Harry
NP: early morning silence

Evetually Larry Levine's wishes came true: during his Spanish Moon tour, the show opened with "Taste of Honey" done with a full orchestral backing. :wink: Which, in a way, is the opposite of the original, since Herb's band did NOT play during this tune. That was a very unique tour musically--too bad it wasn't preserved on tape or video.

It was the very first TJB TV Special that had "A Taste of Honey" done with strings. I even recorded it off the TV when I was a kid. (1966?) I wonder why the string version has never been released? Why hasn't a lot of TJB stuff been released????????? :goofygrin:

Then that's the same special that had the other mix of "The Magic Trumpet" with the melody overdubbed an octave higher - also included on that Very Best Of video compilation.

Harry
...who might dub these from the LaserDisc, online...

Harry said:
In the video of The Very Best Of Herb Alpert, the song is excized from one of the TV specials (I forget which one, probably the first) - shown with the group playing on the rocks on the beach, with an added giant string section playing at the water's edge. Though as we've commented here about the key being slightly off, it's a great way to sample what Levine probably envisioned.

You're absolutely right. It's one of my favorite moments on the video. I kind of like the off key treatment given to "A Taste Of Honey" on the video. Definitely a "goosebumper" moment!

Jon

timbrown said:
Maybe this is way off but just wondering....dolores Ericson on the "whipped cream" cover. Don't know what her age was but maybe not too far off. THis is a link to an obiturary with her name. Died at the age of 77 in 2001.

http://www.nctimes.net/news/2001/20010907/yyyy.html

Born in '23, she would have been 42 when the album was out.

Tim

She didn't LOOK 42 when that cover shot was taken...I'm betting that the woman in the obit wasn't our Delores...

Dan

Ed Kaz' column in Cool & Strange Magazine (#19-Nov. '00) featured an interview with Ms. Erickson and she freely gave her age as 63. Cool & Strange has used the icon image of Ms. Erickson along with Mrs. Miller and Little Marcy on their t-shirt so she holds a special spot in that magazine's heart. I suspect her passing would be covered there as well as most media since she not only posed for that famous album(and a couple of other A&Ms) but many others,including Nat Cole's WILD IS LOVE. According to Ed Kaz, Nat offered to sing at her wedding! At the time of the interview,she was living in the Pacific Northwest as a professional artist-one smart,classy and beautiful woman! Mac

This is clearly another Delores. The Whipped Cream girl was last featured in a newspaper from the Seattle area a couple of years ago and was just over 60, and still loooked great. I think that link in in the archives somewhere. :?:

Capt. Bacardi

Gee, I'm with Dan. Dolores sure didn't look 40-something when she appeared on the cover of Whipped Cream & Other Delights. Also, wasn't she pregnant at the time of the photo shoot? There is no mention of her being a famous model or artist, and these are credits I would expect to appear in an obituary.

Stranger things have happened -- a good example would be Janis Hansen the vocalist and Janis Hansen the actress. I'll bet the obituary belongs to another artist named Dolores Erickson.

Jon

...who just polished off a peach cobbler with none other than...whipped cream, online...

Harry, that's sensational news! :wink:

Thankfully (with all due respect to the deceased Dolores Erickson), this is probably not our Dolores at all.

Jon

...grateful to have our Whipped Cream girl alive and well, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom