• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Interesting Reading on How "A Taste Of Honey" was

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never understand. The one article refers to the music of the "Whipped Cream" album as "Dork-o-meter" When did music have to be "dark", "bitter", "Angry" "hateful" and "depressing" to be taken seriously. Sometimes I think even Herb Alpert started to buy into that line of thinking. Later...Jay

...is a good cover for insecurity... I know, I've fallen into it myself at times. It supposedly makes you appear more "sophisticated".

I read about the dork-o-meter, then a few of their other articles, then decided it wasn't healthy to hang around. Toxic attitudes.

Twisted thinking.

Tim

Agreed. It's a sad day when something as novel and interesting as the Tijuana Brass should be considered banal and milktoast. What's up with that? Like you, Tim, I wouldn't hang around. I also have no use for the negative thinking endorsed by this "Dork-O-Meter" or the Dork who created it! :mad:

Jon

...singing an "up-tune" online...

Yeah, that Dork-O-Meter mentality made Herb a VERY rich man...A&M Records was founded on the idea of novel and refreshing acts being introduced into the marketplace. A lot of us would have had a much more difficult time getting through the '60's if it hadn't been for the TJB and their A&M stablemates. And, I wonder what the Dork-O-Meter people would think of guys like Paul McCartney, who did the same basic thing musically in the '70's that Herb did in the '60's...nowadays, the light-hearted stuff seems to come from Cletus T. Judd and Wierd Al...

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
Yeah, that Dork-O-Meter mentality made Herb a VERY rich man...A&M Records was founded on the idea of novel and refreshing acts being introduced into the marketplace. A lot of us would have had a much more difficult time getting through the '60's if it hadn't been for the TJB and their A&M stablemates.

I highlighted the above statement because it is so true. What would the '60s have been without Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass? They permeated American culture with a mixture of jazz, pop and a sense of humor. It's what put A&M Records on the map, and it's the reason we have an A&M Corner to call our "corner" of the Internet. Truth be told, a lot of kids dig the offbeat sound of the Brass, my niece being one of them, and she's 21-years-old. "It just sounds kewl...like real music..." she told me once. This statement, coming from a vibrant, modern, beautiful young woman of today is testament to Herb Alpert and his ability to touch people through song.

And this makes him a nerd? I think not! :mad:

DAN BOLTON said:
And, I wonder what the Dork-O-Meter people would think of guys like Paul McCartney, who did the same basic thing musically in the '70's that Herb did in the '60's...nowadays, the light-hearted stuff seems to come from Cletus T. Judd and Wierd Al...

Good point, Dan! I mean, come on...Sergio certainly didn't have a hard time of making a hit out of "Fool On The Hill". "Penny Lane" isn't exactly hardcore stuff either. Me thinks the "Dork-O-Meter" was, indeed, named after its creator! :twitchy:

Jon

...proud and happy to defend Herb and his Horn, online...

I just saw an old rerun of THE NANNY on tv this afternoon...Fran was throwing a birthday party for her mother, and casually mentioned that she wanted to find her Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass album because she wanted the "party to be a success..."

When I saw Herb in '84 in INDY, I was surprised that there was such a cross section of concert goers...there were people there in their '60's, and a LOT in their late 20's and early '30's...and with the '60's revival going on, there seems to be a new generation discovering the TJB.

A great reason for some reissues, eh?

Dan

Thanks very much for the links to the Delores Ericson sites. She was my idea a real babe when I was 15, back in 1965. I am glad to hear she is alive and well and enjoying a good life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom