• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Julius Wechter Tribute

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick

Just wondering if there is a DVD or Video of the Julius Wechter tribute concert that included Herb and John Pisano

Welcome to the A&M Corner, Slick!

The event was video-taped by the producers (Bruce Kimmel and David Wechter, Julius's son) for a possible video project but (at the very least) for posterity's sake. So far it has not seen the light of day as a commercially available product. Many of us in attendance and those who could not travel to Los Angeles would love to have this tape available as a living tribute to a great musician and composer. Also, John Pisano was not present as far as I recall. If he was ther it was strictly in the audience with the rest of us fans.

You can see Kimmel and Wechter's work on Penn & Teller's Bullsh!t on HBO where they were staff writers and co-producers the first season (alas, they are not involved in the second season). Kimmel's website is amusing as well. www.haineshisway.com

--Mr Bill

IIRC, there WAS a video of the tribute, but there weren't a lot of copies available. It MIGHT have been possible to obtain one through a donation to the Tourette's Society, and I believe that a copy was offered to everyone who bought tickets to the cancelled New York Tribute. I don't know how to go about obtaining one now, though...but there's always Ebay...I'd check there. Be prepared to pay a hefty price if one ever comes up for sale, though.

I believe that only VHS tapes were made, but I don't know for sure.

Dan

I've been in fairly regular correspondence with many close to Wechter and the organization of the event and that's the first I heard that, Dan.

But hopefully it's true and maybe someone even closer than me can get the scoop. I for one would LOVE to own a copy...

--Mr B

Uh-oh, Mr. Bill, I think "sometimers" has set in on you!! Sometimes you remember, sometimes you forget! Don't you remember John Pisano playing the guitar during the Baja Marimba Band sets? If you look at the photos on the Julius Wechter page here at the Corner, John's head shows up. And, his guitar sounded as good then as it did when I saw the Brass in 1966.

Hopefully, you haven't forgotten meeting all of the Cornerites who congregated together in the theatre that special evening! We certainly remember you!

All the best,
DJ
:cool:

I honestly don't remember John P being there. Maybe I am suffering from "sometimers." I just wish Herb was there -- him playing "Spanish Flea" would have been the perfect cap to a perfect evening! :wink:

--Mr Bill
(just joking about the Herb part)

Mr Bill said:
I've been in fairly regular correspondence with many close to Wechter and the organization of the event and that's the first I heard that, Dan.

But hopefully it's true and maybe someone even closer than me can get the scoop. I for one would LOVE to own a copy...

--Mr B

I may be wrong on that, but I thought that I read that since the N.Y. event was cancelled, that everyone who bought a ticket would get a videotape of the L.A. tribute. Maybe it was just in the works, and copyright issues shot it down, or maybe I misinterpreted something. It's happenned before...

Dan, who hopes it's true..

There is definitely a video. Bruce promised me a copy some time ago (as did Cissy, due to my wife's and my in her words "generous" donation to the Tourrette's Syndrome organization), but it has yet to show up on my doorstep. Knowing Bruce, it will probably get here shortly before 2023. :)

And I don't know who your source is, but Bruce has said several times he is continuing with the Penn & Teller show. I haven't had the time to email him lately, so maybe something's changed in the last few weeks that I'm not aware of.

Bruce is currently about to open a parody show in Santa Monica titled "What If," which imagines what some Broadway classics would have been like if they had been written by others, e.g., if Jerry Herman had written "Sweeney Todd," etc.

JMK said:
...Bruce has said several times he is continuing with the Penn & Teller show...

So far this season his name (and Wechter's) are no longer in the credits. Of course, that does not mean a person isn't involved -- from personal experience I know lots of people go uncredited. But to go from credited one season to uncredited the next is rare. I assumed that since others names are where theirs used to be that they'd left or been replaced. It's also possible they'll be working on specific episodes instead of the staff positions they held the first season (individual episode credits are the last after the staff positions).

--Mr Bill

I was lucky enough to attend the Glendale convert and can confirm -without a shadow of a doubt - that John Pisano was there.

There was a video. I applied for a ticket for the NY show and, when it was cancelled, I got a video through the post. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for one provided you make a donation to the TSA......

I still remember that evening vividly..met Herb, Lani, Randy A and Bill Earl - as well as a number of Cornerites! It doesn't get better than that!!

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom