Karen Carpenter Solo Sessions - Continued

I was on a long drive yesterday afternoon (5 hours) and at one point was listening to Spotify "Daily Mix" which is a random selection of songs based on my listening habits. Two songs from the solo album played. The two worst songs on the album. 🤣 You guessed it! All Because of You and Making Love in the Afternoon.
A Karen Carpenter solo album needed to be a smash. I understand why it was shelved regardless of how much I like a number of songs on the album and a several of the outtakes. I don't think Still Crazy After All These Years gets enough recognition. It's quite an epic production.

A Karen Carpenter solo album needed to be a smash. I understand why it was shelved regardless of how much I like a number of songs on the album and a several of the outtakes. I don't think Still Crazy After All These Years gets enough recognition. It's quite an epic production.
I agree that some of the production was magnificent, considering all of the intricate background vocals performed by just one person along with the fullness of some of the instrumental arrangements and the quality of sound achieved with these.

I’m not a fan of the overall finished product but you can’t help admiring certain areas of the production and engineering, (along with certain aspects of Karen’s performance, especially sections of her background vocals).

Getting back to Leadmister’s original idea at the beginning of this thread, I think that the unreleased tracks together in an album would complement the official solo album while putting across quite a different feel, as a set.

A number of the unreleased tracks sound more comfortable in their own skin. Many of them are a bit more mellow than what was released - a bit more languid and relaxing. Some sound a bit more ‘Carpenters’ than what appeared on the album. There are still enough to turn heads through being markedly different, though.

In fact, there would be a nice contrast between mellow & laid-back and upbeat.

The fact that some of the tracks obviously don’t have a finished lead vocal might be a problem, yet some of what does exist in terms of lead vocals sounds superior in performance and more ‘Karen’ than some of what ended up on the official release.

Those who love Karen’s lower register on slower-tempo songs would probably enjoy a somehow completed collection of the unreleased tracks.

I would buy it.

I was on a long drive yesterday afternoon (5 hours) and at one point was listening to Spotify "Daily Mix" which is a random selection of songs based on my listening habits. Two songs from the solo album played. The two worst songs on the album. 🤣 You guessed it! All Because of You and Making Love in the Afternoon.

I'd agree with this on the first song 😂. 'Making Love In The Afternoon' is by far the weakest of the uptempo tracks but, notwithstanding the awful Cetera backing vocal and Karen's pronunciation, I really love the sound of the song. It reminds me of eating ice cream on a summer's day.

I don't think Still Crazy After All These Years gets enough recognition. It's quite an epic production.

This 100 percent ^^^

Hi, everyone. Here's another one of the solo album tribute videos from a few years back with some new updates. Among other things, I've colored her jacket closer to its original red color. Hope you enjoy. 🎉

This was beyond wonderful Chris! It was almost as if Karen was alive when this was released because the promotion seems so authentic! What a fine tribute to her solo album! TY :) The album cover you created would of been a better choice, so much more "Karen."

A very special treat for UK fans of Karen's solo album this month. It's getting its own feature in the well-known Record Collector. Not quite sure what's brought that on but I'll scan and share the article here as soon as I lay my hands on a copy!

Here are rough scans of the four page Record Collector article for those of you outside the UK. This is still readily available in newsagents over here, if anyone would like one shipped overseas, this is your last chance before I start preparing parcels. DM me to arrange :)

SPOILER ALERT: Do not click if you are waiting to get the hard copy edition.

IMG_6435.jpeg
IMG_6436.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are rough scans of the four page Record Collector article for those of you outside the UK. This is still readily available in newsagents over here, if anyone would like one shipped overseas, this is your last chance before I start preparing parcels. DM me to arrange :)

SPOILER ALERT: Do not click if you are waiting to get the hard copy edition.

IMG_6435.jpeg
IMG_6436.jpeg
Thank you for posting this.

I wish the article had been written by a different author. It’s really just the same info we’ve heard before. I wonder if they had to get rights to print the Bonnie Shiffman photo for publication?

I wish the article had been written by a different author. It’s really just the same info we’ve heard before. I wonder if they had to get rights to print the Bonnie Shiffman photo for publication?

Agree, but you have to remember readers of Record Collector probably didn't even realise Karen ever recorded a solo album, especially with a producer like Phil Ramone. The Carpenters are only ever featured in this publication every third blue moon. I'd bet you there are quite a few of their regular membership that will now seek Karen's album out on the back of this article.

I'd love to know what the actual sales figures are for the solo album. The only thing that comes up is 54,020 for Japan only. I know it was re-issued there at some point. I guess low sales just aren't reported but I'd still like to get some reliable figure on it. The one million claim that was once reported on Wikipedia has since been debunked.

Back
Top Bottom