• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Karen Carpenter Solo Sessions - Continued

I don't recall Billy Joel doing disco at all. My recollection of his songs is that they were either pop ballads or piano-based, uptempo rock. Much of his music has a timeless bluesy quality. And he really knew how to craft a catchy tune. Maybe he still does. I haven't listened to his music in quite a while.
Captain Jack never lets me down.

Not sure if this was previously posted.
July 9, 1983
It always seemed like from interviews that Phil was always so direct and here he speaks about Karen’s solo album.

He says that Stephanie Mills with Polygram and Karen Carpenter with A&M had similar fates with their solo album never being released.
It’s hard to say which he is referring to with his theory.

0SU7eTD.png

qiK6WJj.jpg
I don't know much about the Mills album although it does seem to have been released in 1983, there are two other producers listed with Phil for Merciless in 1983.

His father image / parental comments are consistent with what he said about Karen's album in Little Girl Blue, ""I feel like I've taken your daughter out on a date and was supposed to be home by midnight but came in at 12:01 AM" he said to Jerry Moss. "It's like you met me at the door and said I hope you didn't change my daughter."

I don't know much about the Mills album although it does seem to have been released in 1983, there are two other producers listed with Phil for Merciless in 1983.

His father image / parental comments are consistent with what he said about Karen's album in Little Girl Blue, ""I feel like I've taken your daughter out on a date and was supposed to be home by midnight but came in at 12:01 AM" he said to Jerry Moss. "It's like you met me at the door and said I hope you didn't change my daughter."

Yes, this is an interesting angle I had not considered - the "protect Karen from making a mistake" sort of paternal sensibilities that existed very strongly in those days (and continues to this day, albeit less common or pronounced). I'm saying this in reference to Jerry and Herb specifically. This also presumes that they truly didn't see much commercial viability for it. They might have been more likely to take a risk, as it were, with a male artist, than Karen, whom both Jerry and Herb are on record as saying that in some ways "felt like a daughter" to them.

Having said that - looking further back in this thread I made a comment I'll stick with; had Jerry and Herb felt the album had some smash hits on it, it would have been released. Period. A&M may have been a bit less "all about the money" than some other labels, but it was/is a business and if they saw big $$...

It's really outstanding Chris, I mean that 1000%. The dedication is especially nice. The single best video of its kind I've ever seen bar none. I absolutely love it, thanks for doing that for all of us! You've created something I think Karen would feel honored by.

It's really outstanding Chris, I mean that 1000%. The dedication is especially nice. The single best video of its kind I've ever seen bar none. I absolutely love it, thanks for doing that for all of us! You've created something I think Karen would feel honored by.
Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm pleased you like it! Showcasing her lovely image together with her recordings is something that brings me joy. It's an honor to share in the mutual love for her with you all.

I also really like All Because of You. I find it a very intimate recording. I also like that it’s so different because usually we hear Karen being accompanied by a piano but this time it’s a guitar and it gives the song an entirely different feel and vibe. Also, I love her vocal fry at the very end.

"All Because of You" sounds like a special and intimate recording indeed. The shift from piano accompaniment to guitar adds a refreshing twist to Karen's performance, giving the song a new dimension and allowing her vocals to shine in a different light. It's always fascinating to hear artists explore new arrangements and instrumentation, offering listeners a fresh perspective on familiar songs.

I totally agree!

What a wonderful "labor of love" this must have been for you Chris.

I always though your "If We Try" video was great, but this might have topped that.

Thank you so much!

It’s too bad Karen didn’t allow someone to record her while laying down some tracks in the studio in NY. They could have used snippets of it to incorporate into a music video for a single if her album had been released. Much like Carpenters did for Only Yesterday, Hurting Each Other etc.

Can you imagine if short clips ever surfaced of her in the studio recording some tracks for her solo album? That would be a find of a lifetime.

Hi, everyone. Here's another one of the solo album tribute videos from a few years back with some new updates. Among other things, I've colored her jacket closer to its original red color. Hope you enjoy. 🎉

You've literally just made me relisten to the entire album again...plus realise I've been mis-hearing the lyrics to Lovelines for 32 years. A joy. Thanks Chris.

Hi, everyone. Here's another one of the solo album tribute videos from a few years back with some new updates. Among other things, I've colored her jacket closer to its original red color. Hope you enjoy. 🎉

This is perfection. I can quite clearly see the effort, time, and love that went into this. That pic of the record store display...man, it should have been. Karen had "it" and your video accentuated all of her "it" so well. Incredible work!

Ed

You've literally just made me relisten to the entire album again...plus realise I've been mis-hearing the lyrics to Lovelines for 32 years. A joy. Thanks Chris.
Thanks. You're reminding me of an experience I had re-listening to the album last week as well. I've always enjoyed it, but for some reason it hit me a bit differently this time. I found myself impressed with it on a new level. I must have been in a more relaxed state as I was doing some work at the same time, listening without my usual expectations or bias. We've all talked about the running order of the tracks and how some of us would have sequenced them differently, but for a change the album really flowed for me. It was sort of like being in a museum with varied pieces of art. Each one being a surprise and different from the others, yet taken as a whole collection by the same artist, it was wonderful. I'm so glad she got to have fun with so many different "colors" on the album and explore. She was like an actress in a one-woman show playing different characters.. and what a band to back her!

This is perfection. I can quite clearly see the effort, time, and love that went into this. That pic of the record store display...man, it should have been. Karen had "it" and your video accentuated all of her "it" so well. Incredible work!

Ed
Thanks so much, Ed! I'm glad to know that what I tried to put into it came through. Thanks for expressing your thoughts and for your own channel which I enjoy as well.
As for the record store display concept, Yes, it should have been. At least we all keep her album alive and appreciated. It really means a lot to connect with each other as an online community who are passionate about our favorite artists.

Thanks to everyone for all your comments and feedback on the video!

Last edited:
What were you mis-hearing? I wonder if I've been mis-hearing it too. I only found out recently that Karen wasn't "makin' love to another beat or tune."

And if you ask me, that really does make more sense - but I guess Beatles songs specifically are just really good for making love to… :laugh:
If you're making love to Ticket to Ride or Eleanor Rigby - or even Yesterday for that matter - you just might have some issues... :)

Thanks so much, Ed! I'm glad to know that what I tried to put into it came through. Thanks for expressing your thoughts and for your own channel which I enjoy as well.
As for the record store display concept, Yes, it should have been. At least we all keep her album alive and appreciated. It really means a lot to connect with each other as an online community who are passionate about our favorite artists.

Thanks to everyone for all your comments and feedback on the video!
Amazing job, as always, Chris! Thank You!

Yep. Count me in too! Before I knew what the lyric really was I always heard "makin' love to another beat of tune".
Same! I thought that forever. For as bad as “Another beat of tune is, “Another Beatle tune” is actually worse. From the guy who gave us “If You Leave Me Now”, this is true c-material lyrically. It appears he dashed those lyrics off on the way to the studio. I’m fine with the music; just not the lyric.

Ed

Has anyone ever come across an interview either video or audio of Peter Cetera discussing his vocals for one of Karen’s solo tracks? I know they were not together to record it but surely they spoke on the phone prior to the song?

I’m surprised it’s not documented anywhere that he gave even a snippet of an interview about this song.

Besides some tv shows Karen had duets with other male singers besides Richard. Would Peter Cetera be the first male singer that had a duet with Karen Carpenter that was an official studio recording? Of course she sang with other male singers but I’m speaking of an official studio duet released by a record company like A&M etc.

I’m surprised Peter Cetera never spoke about it unless he was told he couldn’t speak of the song since it was shelved? This should have been a big deal because remember when Karen was on the BF show and she said that Richard was picky/fussy who she sang with.

You couldn’t count John Davidson as a duet but it was never officially released as a studio track since Richard replaced John’s vocal with his own.

Back
Top Bottom