• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Liza's biography on A&E

Status
Not open for further replies.

brasil-boi

I can't wait to see Liza's biography this coming Friday on A&E....She had records on A&M but nobody talks much about her here at the A&M corner? I like Lani and I like Liza...ahhh the splendor of our A&M diva's!! I Wonder if they spoke at all at the family portrait picnic?

I think part of it may have to do with the fact that her most famous recordings were on other labels. Consider: In 1972, Ms. Minnelli moved over to Columbia (prior to Lee Michaels' defection to the bigger label), on which her Liza with a "Z" LP was released; and her original recording of the "Theme From 'New York, New York'" was put out on the United Artists label (I actually prefer Sinatra's version, frankly -- er, sorry 'bout that). That, plus recording for quite a few other labels both before and after her A&M days. Oh, and did I mention the soundtrack to her Cabaret film being on ABC Records?

I wasn't real crazy about her version of New York, New York either....no need to apologize! I saw her really mess that song up singing it live on television with the New York Yankees a long time ago...I remembering feeling embarrassed for her at the time.....I haven't heard that many of her records...My favorite record of hers is called "The Singer" and it was released on Columbia in the early 70's..It was basically a bunch of remake songs but there is something about the record that I like. I think she has a nice voice, but I could tire easily of hearing her more famous work. I would agree that her work on A&M wasn't as popular....I would probably like it better because of that....once somebody becomes too famous I usually shy away from their work (celebrities that become really famous...it often goes to their head)....Liza is still a rare specimen and never totally sold out and seems to stay true to herself, which I admire in her....I'm still not sure why she had to marry David Guest cuz I really didn't see that lasting long....I think she's talented, unique and beautiful and I'm glad she's still in the spotlight because she's way more unique than 99 percent of the stars out there today..... the spikey short hair has always really suited her.

I used to have the Cabaret album and listened to it many times....there are some cute songs on it. I said that "The Singer" was my favorite album of hers but I just realized that my favorite album of hers would have to be "Results." I thought she did a phenomenal job on that album with the Pet Shop Boys...Now--in the movie "Stepping Out" I have to admit being intimidated by her dance steps....she's one of the best dancers I've ever seen.

Jim mentioned having been embarrassed for Liza after seeing her on a television program. I had the same experience a couple of years ago when she attempted to sing "New York, New York" on "The Larry King Show" -- she appeared with her (now ex) husband. It was horrible. What's worse, Larry and her husband were falling all over themselves saying how "wonderful" and "amazing" she sounded. It was very sad.

Jon

The biography lasted two hours and was really good. They never mentioned anything directly A&M related.....they did mention the "Sterile Cuckoo" the movie (which I am not sure was an A&M release) I know that the song "Come Saturday Morning" was from the movie the "Sterile Cuckoo" and Liza had her own album on A&M called "Come Saturday Morning." The version that played in the movie was by the Sandpipers who also had their own release called "Come Saturday Morning" on A&M.....So that's about as close as they ever got to covering anything from her A&M timeperiod.

You know....it's hard to believe that woman is an alcoholic. She has aged incredibly well....She really doesn't have very many wrinkles for her age? Hey...I look like crap after one night out? What's up with that?

Yes, nothing A&M related--not even her Recording Career there was mentioned on A&E! Except for "Maybe I'm Lucky" (from her 1st Album) being featured in Cabaret, which she sung a ballad version of.

I had The Singer, which I recently purchased a Still-Sealed copy of; pretty scatter-shot versions of then-popular songs, but done OK. She appears with Marvin Hamlisch and arranger/producer, Snuff Garrett on the back cover. Another celebrity, Steve March produced another LP of hers, Tropical Nights that I recently had an imported CD of, as well as vinyl, done like Steve's own album, Lucky, which I also had. Though done more "cabaret" like Liza's other works.

And that's Gerry Niewood in the recording studio in the band backing Liza that's frequently shown in the A&E BIOGRAPHY, where she's singing songs during rehearsal for her then-upcoming album.

I had FOURSIDER, which had everything I liked by Liza on A&M; was it ever on CD? But Come Saturday Morning was good and "The Debutante's Ball" from her debut was wisely chosen for FAMILY PORTRAIT--that was the only number I liked there, which so far, is only available on Liza Minnelli.

Dave

Liza is featured in an episode of the DVD series The Judy Garland Show 1962. It is evident that she is a force to be reckoned with. The duets with her Mother are an amazing example of how she could/can hold her own. It's sad really that incredible genes don't always translate into incredible life.
This realization puts my fantasies into perspective.

Jeff

Jeff,
What do you mean, "incredible genes don't always translate into incredible life?" She said on the A&E biography that people keep trying to rewrite her life and say that it was a tragic and bad life when in her perspective she feels she's had a great life.

Jim

I was already collecting A&M back in '68 and remember what a delightful surprise to learn she would be joining A&M. LIza previously had recorded for Capitol, so this was quite an coup for the (at the time) relatively smaller label.
While her later albums for other labels were more famous, A&M did manage to include "Liza With a Z" and "Caberet' on the LIVE AT THE OLYMPIA IN PARIS (SP 4345) album as well as FOUR SIDER. The latter gets spun often at my house, and when the turntable is spinning, so does COME SAT. MORNING (SP 4164).
Can't imagine it was easy to be Judy's kid under the best of circumstances, but she's done OK for the most part. I'd still love to hear her live; maybe one day.
I do know she's always accessible to fans. A couple of years ago I mailed her some album sleeves to sign. They came back in a little over a week, which amazes me to this day.
JB

why is it that if celebrity is attatched to a name (by way of a parent) does our country automaticly impose that person famous , despite her substance abuse issues , she cant sing , dance or keep her affairs in order . why celebrate her when ordinary everyday people are shunned and disposed?

caden9 said:
why is it that if celebrity is attatched to a name (by way of a parent) does our country automaticly impose that person famous , despite her substance abuse issues , she cant sing , dance or keep her affairs in order . why celebrate her when ordinary everyday people are shunned and disposed?

I don't believe that the term "Celebrity" is applied to Liza without merit. She stepped out on her own, after having been introduced by her mother. She proved to be a talented, gifted performer. She came into her own light through hard work, taking her licks and determination. The fact that she was related to Judy Garland certainly didn't hurt, but Liza proved she could stand on her own.

As for abuse issues, a number of celebrities have such problems. Many non-celebrities have the same problems. Suffice to say, it's always been the way of the press to seek out and emphasize the weaknesses of famous people. Truth be told, it's everyday people who feed this interest with zeal.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom