• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Made in America Recording Session

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect your opinion, Mr. J., but keep in mind that the Carpenters had a NUMBER ONE ALBUM in Japan in 2010! So I disagree with you about the overall sales of Carpenters product to be declining to much of a degree at all. Maybe in the States, but they're still huge in Japan and other places.

There's certainly demand for the Carpenters outside of the core A&M/Carpenters people here on this site.

mr J. said:
It's amazing how many supposedly die -hard Carpenters fans are on this forum,and yet no one seems to be listening to what Richard is saying!Over the years,Richard has tryed to make clear in a very suble way what his intentions were,and no one seems to be paying attention.

Mr J, I do not agree, I am a die hard fan and I have been reading what Richard writes in all his liner notes, just because I may not agree doesn't mean I'm any less of a "die-hard" fan. (scratches head at quote above). Unless you are a personal friend of Richard's you don't know how he feels "today". We all know Richard changes his mind over the years. I do NOT agree that the fans forced Richard into releasing ATGB or any other album since Karen's passing.

Richard wrote this in 2000 about ATGB, "Since Karen's untimely passing, interest in our music has NOT diminished." He goes on to say he owes it to Karen and her legacy.

mr J. said:
It would be a crazy idea to think that the fan club of a dead singer would still be in operation 30 years after her passing-sorry to say,the "Carpenters" are not a "business" any longer!)As I stated previously,this is just a hard reality that so many fans has to accept.

Wow, I really disagree here. Richard also wrote in ATGB that Worldwide sales of our recordings have topped 100 million units. I would venture to take a guess that Carpenters are still a business. I highly doubt just because sales may be down now that they are no longer making money? Just because they are no longer making current albums, doesn't mean the interest is not there. Japan is his audience, not America, we know that.

The Singles Box set (Japan 2006 of which Richard wrote inside notes), I believe that sold out, I would assume that made some money and if it made some money than their a "business". 40/40 released 2009 I'm assuming that made some money, if it made any money for Richard, Carpenters are still a "business".

As mentioned before, just because Richard wrote how he feels years ago, we should not assume he feels the same way today or predict how he will feel in the future. Why take our hope away? Why take the hope away from the Japanese fans (that would most likely be his next audience). In order for Richard to have released ATGB, his heart softened and who knows what the future may bring tomorrow.

I agree wholeheartedly, Chris. It's also amazing to me that ALL Carpenters albums are currently available on ITunes. That is a feat in itself!
Most artists who recorded between the years 1969-1983 can't say that, but the Carpenters certainly can. :wink:

I also was dismayed to learn that Richard regretted putting out the outtakes he did, because I've loved hearing every one of them.

Could it be that one of the reasons the Carpenters are more well-known in Japan is because he's LET them be more popular there? For example, a new generation of Japanese Carpenters fans were born when that anime series used "Top of the World" and another Carps song as its theme? Richard still performs Carpenters songs there; only occasionally here. Richard often doesn't let movies use Carpenters songs- "Shrek 4" only got the rights to "Top of the World" after Richard charged $500,000 for its use, thinking that would be a deterrent. Luckily, they paid up anyway, and if the YouTube comments are any indication, that also spawned new Carpenters fans. Once people hear Karen's magnetic voice, they tend to want to find out more. But they need the opportunity to hear it in the first place. That's why I suggested a new compilation Christmas special in that thread.

I wish Richard would stop regretting things so much. It's self-defeating (and frustrating for fans!)

I can't help but feeling his own homeland is left out. There was an amusing bootleg version of "As Time Goes By" before it was released in the U.S. entitled "Everywhere But America."

I have a feeling that the U.S. is ripe for a change in the music world, much like "Close to You" became a huge hit in the midst of acid rock. Being of this generation, I am waiting for a similar breakthrough to end all this auto-tuned crap. People are sick of it, and IMO, are starved for GOOD music. Haven't you seen all the anti-Bieber sentiment? It's just TIME.

mr J. said:
Karen has been dead for 28 years,and at this point,this should be a closed issue.But,here we are-2011-28 years after Karen's death,and there hasn't been a bonafide new Carpenters album in 22 years
(Lovelines).

What relevance does number of years since Karen's death have in relation to continuing interest in both Karen as a unique vocalist & Carpenters as classic duo sound & music :confused:

There is as much if not more interest & demand in Carpenters in 2011 & this covers everywhere : not just North America which does not reflect Carpenters ongoing worldwide sales & influence :o

Likewise with Beatles , John Lennon & others : musicphiles & fans still want more especially when there are known completed tracks & songs : McCartney has several Beatles tracks that could be released for 50th recording anniversary in 2012 : Yoko Ono has more rare Lennon tracks that could be released over next few years just as there are some more completed & still to be finished Carpenters songs : some of which Richard has stated are good songs capable of release at some point.Time has heightened musical interest :wink:

Richard's relationship with post -Karen Carpenters material has been a twisting & winding road : 1983/1984 interviews indicated several more albums material were releasable.By 1990 Richard is withdrawing from futher releases ...1991 provides From The Top...by 1993 UK doc Richard insists "The cupboard is bare " !! ....18 months later Interpretations is issued with 3 unissued tracks ....1994 Richard informs UK fans there is more material & eventually it will be released ..... :o

Officially "As Time Goes" By is Carpenters last to be released studio album : it may be painful for Mr J but personal bias against ATGB does not change Carpenters history & Richard does include ATGB as studio set ....a rarities studio set of Richard & Carpentersphiles favourites ( plus live BBC & live first TV Special medley as extras ) :wink:

In recent decade Richard's views have changed & hardened over post -Karen issues : really this reflects the demise of A&M as an independent music company, problems with Polygram & Universal & whole changing musical landscape all this is alien to Richard & so he has retreated to occasional live performances , Greatest Hits & other Compilations sets plus working on & off on some solo projects where he remains indecisive about & probably frustrates his composer- arranger - producer talents that still seek new musical adventures :sad:

Quote :
Incidentally,2011 is the 30 anniversary of Made In America's release(June 9).If Universal had control over the Carpenter catalog,there's every possibility that they would've issued a 30th anniversary reissue with bonus tracks.But,as long as Richard holds control over the catalog ]

Thank goodness Richard does have control over Carpenters releases & unissued material with Universal awful record of issusing average or poor tracks from many groups & solo artists :shock:

When Richard has issued Carpenters tracks there is a quality that does not embarass Carpenters music & legacy & draws in new admirers & fans :cool:

Peter UK

Maybe not quite "MIA", but (for some reason) part of the same thread...
Just like the rest of us, Rich has changed his views/opinions on several Carpenters musical numbers over the years; including the commercial use of some of the most beloved tracks. The Simpsons Movie: Close To You. Shrek: Top Of The World. But both were in compliance with the CarpenterS image and each songs' impact.
Point is: even with RC's drive for perfection and reluctance to release "out-takes", when an idea and/or offer comes to or from him that makes sense while preserving the CarpenterS sound, he will do it.
MIA sessions would probably be the most "fertile" grounds for unreleased jems; given the dou's over-recording and KC's lead vocals being 110% better than most artists finished versions.But....
If any album deserved an "anniversary" re-release it should've been "Christmas Portrait" in 2008. But no exec or label "suit" had a unique, valid or tasteful idea among them. So, while the thought entertained, once again RC was left to himself.
So I purpose that, us, the most creative and respectful, come up with a complete MIA 30th release package: start to finish with every angle covered. I know Randy would be an AWESOME coordinator of this (hint, hint) but it should a delibertly thoughtful collaboration between all of us. Then we can do a presentation to Rich, his Management and potential label with a sure-fire-hit release idea.
Who's up for action behind the words????
:goodie:

Harry: maybe a seperate thread for this would be best?

Well, to me, Made In America is not a "Close To You" or even a "Ticket To Ride", in the sense that it would be as "commemorative"...!

A song like "Touch Me When We're Dancing" ushered in the new decade w/ ease... But "(I Want You) Back In My Life Again", w/ its "dance floor disco commercial banality" seemed desperate and hackneyed... While the rest of the record floundered enough that its little wonder that despite the credible comeback for Richard & Karen it was heralded as, it was still basically rendered as an "also-ran"...

Easy to see why it got dissed by my RSRG, as I'd mentioned before, but 1981-1982 was a bit of a complicated time, so if it had gotten recorded in the late-70's, or if there were a few "loose ends" to be tied, it's easy to see that there'd be a few "unsolved outtakes" leftover, of which it's easy to see the final outcome, due to what was unfortunately, by 1983, the final fate...

Just summing up my opinion on this...

Dave

I'm all for any actions that would help get any unreleased Carpenters / Karen Carpenter material out of the vaults and out to the public...in whatever way we can! iTunes, independent release, major label or website release.... anything! I'm in!

mstaft said:
Hopefully, if Rumer takes off in the US, the Carps will see some new fans, too.

That is only if the general state of radio would really treat Rumer as well as The 'Carps have gotten treated through their years!

Other than whatever "oldies" stations are left playing the "occasional" 'Carps song, few seem to have yet garnered any interest in promoting anyone that's of "Karen's Caliber"... Most, however, are still in the habit of moving from "One New Thing" to "The NEXT New Thing", at least looking at it from that standpoint...

Somehow, unfortunately, that is not (at least YET) where Rumer seems to "fit"...!

Otherwise, whatever's Online is really the next-best medium, and there's little way to judge what anyone's really listening to, to really give such a similarly, accurate measure--at least in determining such a comparison between those and other sorts of "mediums", given the quickly broadening spectrum of one & the sadly, ever-increasing narrowness of the other... (And you guys can figure out which is "which"...!)

Time is all that will ultimately tell...!

Dave

On the internet music data base at Made in America I found K&R introducing each subsequent track to their new release. Really fun to hear the promo. I found it at IMUZdb.

Jeff

Isn't it that photo of Richard, Karen in the middle wearing a dark outfit, and Herb. And they got an impressive placque with all their albums on it....Karen looks quite thin with curly hair!

Does anyone have any other photo's from the release party?

I have these two...

karen812.jpg

karen81.jpg

I have created a CD containing all of the songs from the Made in America sessions that are currently available (a total of 17).
Here's an idea for RC to consider:
2016 will mark the 35th Anniversary of its release.
How about a 2 disc commemorative release, with disc 1 containing the original album
and disc 2 featuring the additional songs recorded during these session (including those not yet released.)

I have created a CD containing all of the songs from the Made in America sessions that are currently available (a total of 17).
Here's an idea for RC to consider:
2016 will mark the 35th Anniversary of its release.
How about a 2 disc commemorative release, with disc 1 containing the original album
and disc 2 featuring the additional songs recorded during these session (including those not yet released.)

Great idea ScottyB but I believe Richard is done and the last thing he would do now is re-create a past album with additional tracks what we have with past albums is the way it will be left. I know it's a hard pill to swallow but aside from maybe some more compilations getting released and possibly a Japan future box set that's it. That's why what we do have as far as unreleased unofficial recordings that fans have passed around for ages becomes more and more precious to have in one's collection.

This issue about the MIA outtakes has been discussed several times here over the past ten years.And,I've known about "Mistress" since the 1990's.But,the bottom line is Richard has no intention of ever releasing these or any other outtakes.

Karen has been dead for 28 years,and at this point,this should be a closed issue.I know there are also completed outtakes from the Horizon,Kind Of Hush,Passage and 1978 sessions-And I would've(past tense) loved to have seen these released.But,here we are-2011-28 years after Karen's death,and there hasn't been a bonafide new Carpenters album in 22 years(Lovelines).

Richard stated during a PEOPLE interview in 1983(after the release of "Voice Of The Heart")that "There's enough for another album,and a Christmas album".The "another album" was "Lovelines" and the Christmas album was "Old Fashioned Christmas".He already knew,back in 1983,what he intended to release.And,aside from a few tracks that have surfaced on "Interpretations","As Time Goes By" and the boxed set,There's never been a bonafide brand-new album since "Lovelines".(Karen's solo album finally came out,but that decision was made by A&M-and half of that album was already released in the 80's,anyway).

Incidentally,2011 is the 30 anniversary of Made In America's release(June 9).If Universal had control over the Carpenter catalog,there's every possibility that they would've issued a 30th anniversary reissue with bonus tracks.But,as long as Richard holds control over the catalog,those outtakes will never be released.And,this is just a reality that so many die-hard Karen fans have to accept.

And not to add insult to injury here, but for the fans that I read posts from in other forums that say "Oh, it will only be a matter of time after he passes away that his kids take and release everything in the kitchen sink." I would NOT be a bit surprised if Richard stipulated in his own will that future dealings with anything related to Carpenters legally are to be handled in such-and-such a way in order for his children to benefit from any monetary fruit. I'm riding the edge of the line here as far as personal integrity and their privacy, so I'll leave it at that, but where there *can* be control, believe me, there will be. Just my $.02 :rolleyes:

And not to add insult to injury here, but for the fans that I read posts from in other forums that say "Oh, it will only be a matter of time after he passes away that his kids take and release everything in the kitchen sink." I would NOT be a bit surprised if Richard stipulated in his own will that future dealings with anything related to Carpenters legally are to be handled in such-and-such a way in order for his children to benefit from any monetary fruit. I'm riding the edge of the line here as far as personal integrity and their privacy, so I'll leave it at that, but where there *can* be control, believe me, there will be. Just my $.02 :rolleyes:

That's a depressing thought isn't it...:sad:

L
The situation would not even have to go that far. Richard's Business Attorney,along with Universal's Legal Department,will carry out Richard's wishes after his passing.

Yep! Pretty much :rolleyes:

I know that unreleased material only becomes the property of the record label once it has been released, but surely you cannot put a legal ruling in place preventing release of material ad infinitum after their passing? Look at Amy Winehouse, Michael Jackson and many others - all sorts of demos have been completed and surfaced on official releases after they have passed away. Yes, this is obviously with the permission of their estate, but who's to say that executors of Richard's estate won't change their minds in the future?

There must be so little left to release now in the Carpenters archive, I'm surprised if Richard would go to such efforts. Unless it's the release of the TV specials etc that he wants to prevent i.e. anything that in his book would tarnish or bring their reputation into disrepute.

Last edited:
I know that unreleased material only becomes the property of the record label once it has been released, but surely you cannot put a legal ruling in place preventing release of material ad infinitum after their passing? Look at Amy Winehouse, Michael Jackson and many others - all sorts of demos have been completed and surfaced on official releases after they have passed away. Yes, this is obviously with the permission of their estate, but who's to say that executors of Richard's estate won't change their minds in the future?

There must be so little left to release now in the Carpenters archive, I'm surprised if Richard would go to such efforts. Unless it's the release of the TV specials etc that he wants to prevent i.e. anything that in his book would tarnish or bring their reputation into disrepute.

Actually I believe there's quite a bit. Like I'd mentioned before, I have included in that video footage I've been uploading a song that was never even catalogued, let alone released called One Of The Nicer Things, which was a Jimmy Webb tune that they recorded at the request of Jimmy's father. So with that being said, there's stuff still out there - it's just a matter of whether or not Richard ever decides to change his mind.

In a recent email exchange with him last week, Richard said point blank that he's not granting ANY interviews to anybody, regardless of their affiliation, and as it is he's already said he's "done." Soooooo, only time will tell ultimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom