• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Made in America Recording Session

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I believe there's quite a bit. Like I'd mentioned before, I have included in that video footage I've been uploading a song that was never even catalogued, let alone released called One Of The Nicer Things, which was a Jimmy Webb tune that they recorded at the request of Jimmy's father. So with that being said, there's stuff still out there - it's just a matter of whether or not Richard ever decides to change his mind.

In a recent email exchange with him last week, Richard said point blank that he's not granting ANY interviews to anybody, regardless of their affiliation, and as it is he's already said he's "done." Soooooo, only time will tell ultimately.

Interesting Chris, so there may still be more sitting there than we all even realise...as you say only time will tell.

I just looked this song up and there's a comment on YouTube that claims it was one of only two charted songs recorded by Jimmy himself that entered Cashbox's "Looking Ahead" survey on 15th September 1968. I wonder when Carpenters recorded their version...

Last edited:
May I ask if Mr. Carpenter still responds to physical letters?
(I'm not in it for an autograph, either.)

June 19,1985 Washington Post
:
Richard Carpenter,
"Karen and I are public figures . We got into this business because we loved making music.
And if an act happens to hit, in a sense you belong to the public.
We sold over 80 million records throughout the world,
and there are going to be people who want a new product, or a reissue
."
Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...ng-solo/36521809-8151-48e5-ae3c-4bac01203e7d/

In a recent email exchange with him last week, Richard said point blank that he's not granting ANY interviews to anybody, regardless of their affiliation, and as it is he's already said he's "done." Soooooo, only time will tell ultimately.

Wow, so what I pointed out about earlier could possibly be correct...that interview you had with Richard back in Jan 2014 may well be his last interview to the public....that along with the fact that he said he's done...it all sounds so final and this is really the end. I was holding out hope that he may release one more item for the fans, be it a compilation box set, US singles box set or some kind of DVD from the Christmas/TV Specials but it sounds like none of this will ever happen. I wonder if Richard would be open to any more communication from Japan for a box set that if asked by Japan would supply a bonus unreleased track he may finished exclusively for that set. I see that as being the only last hope for anything new or remixed or a finished track.

I know I've said it before but it's so sad to think it's really the end.

Actually I believe there's quite a bit. Like I'd mentioned before, I have included in that video footage I've been uploading a song that was never even catalogued, let alone released called One Of The Nicer Things, which was a Jimmy Webb tune that they recorded at the request of Jimmy's father. So with that being said, there's stuff still out there - it's just a matter of whether or not Richard ever decides to change his mind.

Whilst I completely understand and get Richard's point of view, I do wonder how he might feel if no one in the here and now could give a flying one about him, Karen or their music.

It's easy for Richard to view the fans as something that's mildly irritating and just has to be put up with / or just ignored (I'm not saying he does, but I sometimes get the vibe that he may do), but we've helped to keep him and his family in a nice house all these years have we not?

Richard may well be "done" but many fans clearly want more, so if he doesn't feel he wants to 'go there' anymore, and I really don't blame him, then he could consider employing someone to manage it all for him.

Even if Richard still refused to release the rest of the solo project, there's still a lot that someone working on his behalf and within agreed boundaries could do.

Whilst I completely understand and get Richard's point of view, I do wonder how he might feel if no one in the here and now could give a flying one about him, Karen or their music.

It's easy for Richard to view the fans as something that's mildly irritating and just has to be put up with / or just ignored (I'm not saying he does, but I sometimes get the vibe that he may do), but we've helped to keep him and his family in a nice house all these years have we not?

Richard may well be "done" but many fans clearly want more, so if he doesn't feel he wants to 'go there' anymore, and I really don't blame him, then he could consider employing someone to manage it all for him.

Even if Richard still refused to release the rest of the solo project, there's still a lot that someone working on his behalf and within agreed boundaries could do.

Agreed. I've said this before and I'll say it again- how hard could it be to hire a new webmaster? EVERYTHING is online nowadays, and the Carpenters could easily sell more music that way, not to mention preserve their legacy in the way Richard always wanted it to appear- as professionals.

But it's just not being done. :sad:

^ Now there's a good perspective. :)
Unfortunately it comes with age and hindsight. Someday the young members on here, while listening to the "new" remixed-75th anniversary boxed set will reminisce about that Carpenters forum they were on. Ha!

Unfortunately it comes with age and hindsight. Someday the young members on here, while listening to the "new" remixed-75th anniversary boxed set will reminisce about that Carpenters forum they were on. Ha!
....and no doubt, if I make it to 79 years of age, I'll be typing in to the new fiber/laser/optic screens the magically appear, 3-D - in mid-air -

"Gee ya'll - I wonder if Mindy & Colin will be releasing The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress for the 75th?"

You know, A&Mcorner is a great resource! The list of songs I found very helpful and clarified the timeline of the remixes. I hope stuff like that is as clear as it is now for future Carpenters fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom