Manilow does the Carpenters

Status
Not open for further replies.
just bought barrys latest cd/dvd which includes close to you, other songs of the seventies and acoustic versions of some of his old hits.

looking forward to hearing barrys version of close to you and the many other gems from the seventies- a prolific period for great songs-any views-jc :)

I agree, lots of great songs in that period. Many people are very quick to dis the '70s as the disco-era, when actually that didn't happen until late in the decade -- and even so, there were quite a few disco songs that were great music. Sure there was some garbage, but that's true of any decade. I think many 70s artists and writers are only now being recognized for the excellent music they created.

Last night my husband and I listened to Barry's 70s album for the first time. All in all, it's a very good album. Except for CTY. Oh my, it was soooo painful to listen to. I think we'll be passing that particular song when we replay it. It really hits home to us how absolutely terrific an arranger and musician Richard really is. No one can touch it or come anywhere near his expertise. Thanks, Richard!

I had gotten the QVC version which has an extra disk with more 70s songs on it. Also interesting were acoustic versions of some of Barry's own hits of that time. Unusual arrangements! Very nice.

Marilyn

I listened to Manilow's new CD yesterday for the first time, and I have to say that I am a bit disappointed.

First of all, I'm a Manilow fan since 1983. I went to concerts in Mainz, Bonn, Essen and I even flew to London in 2002 to see him perform. Those two London concerts were great. He was full of energy.

But one or two years ago, he had trouble with his heart and was hospitalized for some days. Ofcourse, his health problems were played down, but I think, it was a minor heart attack. Since then, his voice has lost it's power.

This is the first thing I noticed when listening to the new CD. His voice has lost it's power.

Then, I guess it is very hard to cover songs from contemporary artists. It worked well with the Fifties and the Sixties, but the Seventies? Manilow selceted songs which are so identified with their interpreters, that it is almost impossible to cover them, for example: BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER or SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD.

Imagine Elton John singing MANDY or EVEN NOW. It doesn't work. Besides, while Elton John sings SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD very authentic, Manilow sings it to theatralic. And BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER just needs the strong, powerful voice of the young Art Garfunkel.

I agree, that CLOSE TO YOU is a little strange here.

But did you notice the musical hommage to the Carpenters in the opening song THE WAY WE WERE? At the end of this song, some notes from YESTERDAY ONCE MORE are being played. Listen to it very carefully, and you will hear it.

I wish, Barry had opened the album with a new version of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, as a duet with Richard for example. That I would have liked.

Bruno

Bruno, my friend, well said!! I, too, think that Barry's various medical problems have affected his voice and his performances. I'll have to try and relisten to "The Way We Were". The album is pleasant to listen to, but that's all.

Marilyn

If you listen at the end of THE WAY WE WERE, Marylin, you can hear five notes: Shu Bi Doo Lang Lang (without words, of course). Or am I misinterpretating this?

I heard it and thought: From which song do I know these notes? And YESTERDAY ONCE MORE came to my mind quickly. Perhaps it is better to recognize, if you listen to Richard's instrumental version of YOM on his CD Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor.

As a side note, I find it interesting, that Barry didn't include a song from Neil Diamond. Probably they are rivals and don't like each other.

By the way: I'm truly sorry for Barry for his medical problems, and I wish him all the best. But I wish too, that he would accept his age instead of letting someone lift his face ( is this the correct word?) and instead of pretending to be still young.

The concert dvd from Nashville, which was recorded in 2000, I think, called ONE NIGHT LIVE , is the best Manilow concert I have ever seen. It is about music and about Barry. The dvd LIVE IN LAS VEGAS is much too much show for my opinion, even though he got the EMMY for it.

Bruno

Bruno:

I think you are mistaken. There is no "homage" to yesterday once more at the end of "The way we were". Barry simply completes the chord.

Interestingly, Barry has been very quiet on the Carpenters in his press for the new album. He mentions other songs quite often, and seldom the Carpenters. Except for a "Carpenters-esque" chorus at the very end, it's a rather stock arrangement of the tune.

Wonder why the quietness on the Carpenters. He seemed to be a good friend to both K & R when Karen was alive.

Maybe because Close to You is not one of HIS strongest tracks on his new album. I love his new album, except for his version of Close To You.

Actually, that 'homage' of sorts (whether intentional or not) happens twice:

He sings, at the end:

The way we were [shooby do lang lang notes] at 2:15 to 2:18
The way we were [shooby do lang lang notes again] at 2:22 to 2:25
The wayyyy we were [song ends]

Of course, those notes could just be random ones as part of his arrangement, but you can't help but link them to those on Yesterday Once More.

BTW, in one of the biographies on BM which I read, the 2 (BM & KC) had dated before. Apparently, KC really liked him but BM (for reasons explained in the book), liked her too but not in a romantic way. He also mentions her in his remastered Even Now Album, on the back cover.

Calvin

Thanks, Calvin, I thought I'm the only one who is hearing this.

Sorry, if "homage" is the wrong expression for this in the US language. I guess, it is a European word only. But I couldn't figure out the correct english word.

Years ago, I read Barry's autobiography SWEET LIFE: ADVENTURES ON THE WAY TO PARADISE. I don't own this book anymore, but I can't remember him writing about Karen.

What biography did you read, Calvin?

I always thought, that Barry and Karen could have recorded a wonderful duet together.

Bruno

I'm a BM fan, but I think that like the great Julie Andrews, the older the vocal chords get, the more strained some of this material sounds. As for Close to You, don't you think it's the boring arrangement that makes it awkward? Lots of piano is all I hear.... I like Bridge Over Troubled Water much better.

Please don't delete my post, but isn't Barry starting to resemble Barbara Walters a little on the cover of this CD? That plastic surgery look, I think.....maybe that's the real reason he skipped The View.......

Please don't delete my post,
Just an FYI, this board generally doesn't delete anything unless it's inflammatory, political or religious, personal contact information (generally email or phone numbers) of a celebrity, or a link to downloadable copyrighted material that's available for sale.

There are certain very personal topics that are taboo, but expressing an opinion or just making a comment such as you did is perfectly fine.

We will sometimes delete or edit the format (but not the content) of a post if it makes excessive use of colored, oversized text, or ridiculous amounts of smilies or oversized graphics...but in those cases, the reason for our action is always given.

Gordo said:
Speaking of political views, I buzzed over to the Colbert Report site just now thanks to Sakura's heads-up on Manilow's appearance (last night, as I type this). You can view a clip here, if you're curious, but it's more about Colbert's loss at the Emmys than anything:

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_colbert_report/index.jhtml

(As of this writing, the video is the second one posted in the little viewer window.)
Thank you for the link. I watched the clip! :rotf:

aaflyer98 said:
Maybe because Close to You is not one of HIS strongest tracks on his new album.
I agree with Patrick.

"Close To You" or Carpenters were mentioned at "Today Show" and QVC(I only watched net broadcast) so far. I may have heard one more.

I heard the "Yesterday Once More" parts when I listened for the first time and I was looking forward someone on this board would mention.
I checked Barry's fans forums and found that not a few Barry fans noticed the parts and mentioned Carpenters and "Yesterday Once More". One of them even checked if Barbra's version contained the parts.

Bruno said:
As a side note, I find it interesting, that Barry didn't include a song from Neil Diamond. Probably they are rivals and don't like each other.

By the way: I'm truly sorry for Barry for his medical problems, and I wish him all the best. But I wish too, that he would accept his age instead of letting someone lift his face ( is this the correct word?) and instead of pretending to be still young.

The concert dvd from Nashville, which was recorded in 2000, I think, called ONE NIGHT LIVE , is the best Manilow concert I have ever seen. It is about music and about Barry. The dvd LIVE IN LAS VEGAS is much too much show for my opinion, even though he got the EMMY for it.

Bruno
While I was reading Barry's board, I noticed that Barry fans think "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" is Neil Diamond's.
The Hollies' ? For me it's Olivia's.

I don't want Barry strong vocal any more. I sometimes feel Barry sing too strong. I wish Barry sing for long time.
Barry will start tour again!!? And Barry's old friend's album produced by Barry will be released soon. Her sister might be at A&M.
Several years ago an old member let me watch the program on upcoming another DVD by Barry. I felt Barry's walk weaker.
I watched Les Paul Special and I wish Richard and Barry continue to make music like Les Paul performs every Monday night for years.

A few days ago I could hear Barry's "Silver Bells" and "Jingle Bells" from new Christmas album. "Silver Bells" was over dub vocals like "One Voice"!
I saw song list at Barry fans site. I love Richard's "Toyland!! I am looking forward to hearing Barry's version.

I watched Randy Edelman at Budokan in 1976. He sang Carpenters songs and "Weekend in New England", playing the piano, I think. Over 30 years later, I hear Barry's acoustic version of "Weekend.....".

Sakura

Hi Sakura!

HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S MY BROTHER was sung by Neil Diamond, but he didn't write this song and he didn't have a hit with it.

Yesterday, I watched at youtube an interview with Barry by Jimmy Kimmel (seems to be some late night host in the US). It was interesting to see, that there never was a close up from Barry.

I feel, that his face is frozen after he had plastic surgery. He looks like Siegfried of Siegfried and Roy. This is not only unnecessary, but so unnatural, too! Yes, he looks older on the dvd LIVE FROM LAS VEGAS, but at least you can see him expressing feelings with his face. Now that is gone.

Bruno
still a great Barry fan, but a little saddened.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom