• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Other Female Singers

Speaking of other female singers, and specifically those popular primarily in the 1970s, I was, and still am, fond of Helen Reddy and her music. I'm curious - did she and Karen and Richard ever cross paths and/or do any singing together? Were they on the Carol Burnett show one time together, or am I imagining that? They were big hit recording stars at the same time and did variety shows and such. Just wondering...
Helen Reddy was on one of the "Make Your Own Kind of Music" shows. You can find specifics at http://www.tvparty.com/vacarp.html

Harriet shared her cover of Michael Jackson's "She's out of my life" on her Facebook profile this morning. It's on her Soundcloud profile too:
Hear here

On the opening lines I thought for a split second I was hearing Karen.

Garyjo posted link in the Small Circle Harriet thread to Harriet's live show at the Bedford last night in London. Launch of her first single "Fly". :cool:

I'm glad Trisha Yearwood was mentioned a few pages back. She's my favorite vocalist of the modern era. Her 2007 album "Heaven, Heartache and the Power of Love" was a masterpiece - and was a complete accident.

My other favorite is Faith Hill - from 1997 onward. I think she found herself after her first two albums were released, and the material and vocals were so much better starting with 1998's "Faith". Her 2002 album "Cry" is my favorite album of all time.

I adore Mariah Carey. It's just amazing what she can do with her voice.

Celine Dion - no doubt an honest true talent.

Linda Eder - brilliant professional vocalist with no professional training. Check out her song "Vienna" - it's exquisite.

Adele - such a gifted, soulful singer.

Barbra - come on... it's Barbra!

Chely Wright - another smooth alto, with a story to tell. She was never a huge success, but I've always loved her music.

Beyonce is a great singer, but she's taking the focus off her voice and steering her career in a terrible direction. I hope she rights that soon.

Carrie Underwood - almost always pitch-perfect with stunning power.

Cher - very underrated. She's known more for the image than her voice, which is pretty incredible. The woman is 70 and can still effortlessly sing circles around a lot of the younger artists.

Natalie Maines/Dixie Chicks - She has a natural ability to truly convey any emotion the song suggests.

Ann Wilson - Can't nobody wail like Ann.

Wynonna Judd - oh, the soul.

Kelly Clarkson - Can't nobody wail like Ann Wilson - but Kelly is a close second.

P!nk - She keeps that voice in tact while performing aerialist and acrobatic stunts. It's amazing.

Sara Bareilles - I've been blown away by her for a few years now. Such a talent. It's like Billy Joel meets Elton John in female form.

Whitney Houston - what a gift she had back in the day. I don't think anyone will ever compare. The Grammy performance of "One Moment In Time" is one of the greatest live performances ever.

I just adore Harriet's new covers sampler: Every Breath You Take on Soundcloud. If you loved Karen's style you've got to give her a listen. You can almost hear Karen covering those songs. Harriet is a very talented singer songwriter. There's a Harriet thread in the Small Circle of Friends forum.

Forgot about singer Beth Nielsen Chapman!! The music video "Walk My Way": (from her self-titled 1990 album) which was her second behind "Hearing It First" on Capitol Records in 1980 (which has NOT been out on CD). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Beth Nielsen Chapman "Down On My Knees" (later covered by Trisha Yearwood) (from Beth's self-titled 1990 CD): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Vonda Shepard (duet with Emily Sailers of The Indigo Girls) "Baby, Don't You Break My Heart Slow" (from 1999): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Back
Top Bottom