• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Other Female Singers

Vonda Shepard "And I Love You So" (remake of the Bobby Goldsboro 1971 & the late Perry Como 1973 song) (NOT on any of the Ally McBeal TV Soundtracks): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Canadian singer Chantal Kreviazuk "In This Life" (from 2002 "What If It All Means Something") (music video): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Trumpeter Chris Botti (with Chantal Kreviazuk) "The Look Of Love" (remake of the late Dusty Springfield & Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66 1967 song) (from Chris' "A Thousand Kisses Deep"): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

When I wrote to singer Beth Nielsen Chapman on singer Vonda Shepard back in 1998 via e-mail, Beth said "I love Vonda, she has now made her comeback in "Ally McBeal" & doing great"!! Cheers, Beth:) Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Joni Mitchell - from her high sparkling soprano to her husky, smoky alto!
Agnetha Fältskog - the ultimate soprano!
Frida - warm, tender ...resembles a little to Karen!
Suzanne Vega - the neighbourhood-girl...simple voice but very beautiful!
Moya Brennan - ethereal,
Loreena McKennitt- the folk soprano.
Tarja Turunen - operatic, classical.

Helen Reddy has an album Live in London,
as one reviewer writes (allmusic): "For the fans of Helen Reddy this is a treat and a very necessary part of her collection."
Anyway, the song "Candle On The Water" has always resonated, and I feel Karen could have sent it sky high.
(Although, Helen Reddy does it beautifully).

I am a BIG fan of Janis Siegel and the Manhattan Transfer as many of you are. What great taste I might add. I did I not see this in the thread, so forgive me if I missed it. I love this tribute.
"Only Yesterday" and "Crescent Noon" I think it is beautiful.

Another great singer, Cilla Black (sadly she passed away earlier this month),
performed a great song You're My World
(also, performed beautifully by Helen Reddy).
I can hear Karen Carpenter singing this song.

Talking about Cilla Black, what about this i could hear Karen singing this.

For a more modern twist on this song's arrangement, check this out. I adore this version and the orchestration is beautiful. Both versions are very 'Beatle-esque', especially around the line "And in the winter snow/My songs will keep you from the cold".

One of my other favorite vocalists is Jane Olivor. Here is a track taken from and her 1977 album called Chasing Rainbows. It is a little number called "You". Originally being from New York, my wife and I were fortunate to see Jane in concert several times. This was her opening number, a tribute to her fans. I love this song by Karen and I love this version by Jane. I hope some of you find it enjoyable.

ps: you might remember her amazing duet with Johnny Mathis, "The Last Time I Felt Like This" (Best Original Song Oscar nominee).

Wanted to share this live version of Afterglow by Harriet. The low notes and her phrasing so remind me of Karen. And notice how she holds the microphone.

Vocalist Marie Fredriksson, of the Swedish duo Roxette, has an incredible voice.
Listen to "It Must Have Been Love", or most any other Roxette ballad.

And, who can but marvel at Pet Shop Boys featuring Dusty Springfield,
What Have I Done To Deserve This ?(rel. August 1987,#2 US Hot 100).
Take a gander at the photography for the 45-single--
now, that is the way to promote a recording.
Tammy Wynette, one of my absolute favorites,
in late 1991, recorded/released the song Justified and Ancient with KLF,
(hitting #11 USA,#2 UK Charts).
Both songs out of the norm for these female vocalists, both highly successful recordings.
(Take a memo!).

I grew up listening to Olivia Newton-John. I also enjoyed ABBA, especially Agnetha (still do, to this day). I liked Linda Ronstadt, Carly Simon and Christine McVie.
I was never too partial for those who feel that they have to scream in nearly every song they sing. I much more prefer to hear someone who is singing to me than someone who is screaming at me. Don't get me wrong, there are some songs by the likes of Celine Dion and Aretha Franklin that I enjoy, but the songs where they are screaming out their lyrics are very irritating to me.

For those with an interest in this great singer from the 1970's.....
Here is news from the Helen Reddy Official Site--where one finds, also--many rare audio clips, and, more:
August 7,2015....
"Due to recent reports in the media, we feel it necessary to make a statement regarding our mother.
Earlier this summer, Helen made the decision to move into the Motion Picture Home in Woodland Hills.
Despite recent reports on the status of her health, we would like to let her fans know that she has not been diagnosed with dementia,
nor has she been hospitalized. For the last several months she has been enjoying some time off and spending the summer with friends and family.
While she has retired from performing live, there are many exciting projects in the works and plans to continue to share her unique voice for years to come.
We want to thank all of her fans for their outpouring of love and support."

Source:
http://helenreddy.com/news/

Quite by accident I stumbled onto Helen Reddy's 1981 song
"I Can't Say Goodbye To You",
With a Karen Carpenter vocal and Richard Carpenter arrangement,
I can 'hear' this as a Carpenters' song.

Quite by accident I stumbled onto Helen Reddy's 1981 song
"I Can't Say Goodbye To You",
With a Karen Carpenter vocal and Richard Carpenter arrangement,
I can 'hear' this as a Carpenters' song.
I'll have to give that a listen to...it's been a long time.

For a more modern twist on this song's arrangement, check this out. I adore this version and the orchestration is beautiful. Both versions are very 'Beatle-esque', especially around the line "And in the winter snow/My songs will keep you from the cold".

I love Agnetha...only wish she would do more than she does.

Back
Top Bottom