Other Female Singers

Helen Reddy has an album Live in London,
as one reviewer writes (allmusic): "For the fans of Helen Reddy this is a treat and a very necessary part of her collection."
Anyway, the song "Candle On The Water" has always resonated, and I feel Karen could have sent it sky high.
(Although, Helen Reddy does it beautifully).
Gary,
I came on to this site as I've been a huge Carpenter's fan since 1971 -- and for a long time like everyone else, I've been yearning for Richard to release more of those "buried treasures". ("Leave Yesterday Behind" has become an all-time favorite of mine.) I just wanted to thank you, for as I've perused the pages here, I've seen you mentioning Helen (Reddy) a few times. In my opinion, Helen has been so under-rated. She's my #1 female vocalist (Karen being #2). Helen's lovely vocals and crystal clear diction captivate me -- and she puts that voice to such a wide variety of musical styles.

Say, do you know how to attach You-Tube videos to this site? I see several, but I've no idea how to do it -- somewhat technologically-challenged!

Say, do you know how to attach You-Tube videos to this site? I see several, but I've no idea how to do it -- somewhat technologically-challenged!
Hi! I believe I can help ya out. :)

Two buttons after the smiley face, there's a button that has film -- when you hover over it, it should say, "Media". Then, you insert the URL (in this case, a YouTube link) in the box that pops up. Hope this helps.

Gary,
I came on to this site as I've been a huge Carpenter's fan since 1971 -- and for a long time like everyone else, I've been yearning for Richard to release more of those "buried treasures". ("Leave Yesterday Behind" has become an all-time favorite of mine.) I just wanted to thank you, for as I've perused the pages here, I've seen you mentioning Helen (Reddy) a few times. In my opinion, Helen has been so under-rated. She's my #1 female vocalist (Karen being #2). Helen's lovely vocals and crystal clear diction captivate me -- and she puts that voice to such a wide variety of musical styles.

I have just copied and pasted the URL. That always seems to work for me.

John M., Copying/Pasting the URL does it for me, too.

And, funny how happenstance led me to Helen Reddy, as I read in the Carpenters' Reader where
Richard Carpenter did not like one of the songs submitted to the duo, which was a hit for Helen.
(Page 172,1975): "Ain't No Way To Treat A Lady"....
Richard Carpenter: " I like the hook, that's all I like, a good hook, but I really don't care for the rest of it."

Anyway, Helen has said in interviews that many of her best songs are album cuts, not the hit singles.
I, then,started listening to her songs I was unaware of.
And, yes, indeed, she is highly underrated.

I'm fond of Trijntje Oosterhuis, a Dutch pop/jazz singer. She's done entire concerts of Bacharach/David songs, which you can see on YouTube. Her take on "Close to You" is lovely.

It's refreshing to see Helen Reddy getting some love here at the Corner! She is also one of my favorites, and she was extremely popular in the 1970s. Sadly, like others, when that decade ended, her music was largely forgotten.

nd, funny how happenstance led me to Helen Reddy, as I read in the Carpenters' Reader where
Richard Carpenter did not like one of the songs submitted to the duo, which was a hit for Helen.
(Page 172,1975): "Ain't No Way To Treat A Lady"....
Richard Carpenter: " I like the hook, that's all I like, a good hook, but I really don't care for the rest of it."

Anyway, Helen has said in interviews that many of her best songs are album cuts, not the hit singles.
I, then,started listening to her songs I was unaware of.
And, yes, indeed, she is highly underrated.

And, Gary, thank you for posting these quotes from Richard (as I, in turn, post a quote from you). :) I agree with you that Helen is "highly underrated." I never knew that story about "Ain't No Way to Treat a Lady." I am still learning (if not also crazy) after all these years!

Although Helen Reddy has retired from performing, I understand she still is willing to record. Wouldn't a Richard Carpenter produced and arranged record by Helen Reddy be a great record? I have often thought of other artists that RC could work with; i.e. Olivia Newton-John, Barbra Streisand, Celine Dion...and if only she was healthy, I'll bet that an RC produced and arranged record with Linda Ronstadt would have been special.

Welcome John M. I am also a Helen Reddy fan.

As far as the You Tube videos, try copying the URL and pasting it directly into the post. It worked for me.

LOVED "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". A serious chill song.
Sorry to jump off on a tangent here, but I saw mention of this song and had to share a memory. We were learning about the tragedy that befell this ship in elementary school; the teacher -- on a cassette tape! -- played us this song. I will never forget the way the song sounded on that old cassette player -- the song, and opening chords especially, had a warbled sound that made it sound ominous. I can't hear it anymore without recalling quite vividly the melancholy that song made me experience as a small child.

Although Helen Reddy has retired from performing, I understand she still is willing to record. Wouldn't a Richard Carpenter produced and arranged record by Helen Reddy be a great record? I have often thought of other artists that RC could work with; i.e. Olivia Newton-John, Barbra Streisand, Celine Dion...and if only she was healthy, I'll bet that an RC produced and arranged record with Linda Ronstadt would have been special.

Scotty B, I couldn't agree with you more. All the ladies you mention would be great musical partners for Richard. I think a collaboration with Rita Coolidge would be amazing as well.

Serena Ryder 5th CD "Utopia" coming soon. Saw her performance on CBC Friday night during the "quietest concert ever" somewhere in New Brunswick. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I like pretty much everybody mentioned here -- no one beats Karen for me, of course. Olivia Newton-John, Linda Ronstadt, and the ABBA ladies (Agnetha and Frieda) I listen to frequently. I also like Dionne Warwick, Ella Fitzgerald, Mama Cass, Stevie Nicks, Barbra Streisand, Carole King, and even a bit of Anne Murray. I definitely think I would enjoy Helen Reddy, Melissa Manchester, and The Corrs as other members. :D

Scotty B, I couldn't agree with you more. All the ladies you mention would be great musical partners for Richard. I think a collaboration with Rita Coolidge would be amazing as well.
I agree. Rita Coolidge slipped through the radar. And I've also thought about Agnetha Faltskog (of ABBA fame). Maybe an album of all the female artists I've mentioned, and more that I may have overlooked. However, not a Carpenters tribute, but made up of entirely new material.

I agree. Rita Coolidge slipped through the radar. And I've also thought about Agnetha Faltskog (of ABBA fame). Maybe an album of all the female artists I've mentioned, and more that I may have overlooked. However, not a Carpenters tribute, but made up of entirely new material.

This thread got me to thinking...during his post-Carpenters career, why did Richard go with such odd choices of singers to front his sound? Aside from Dusty and Dionne (who were guest vocalists only), he recorded whole albums with hitherto unknowns on the international stage every single time. Scott Grimes, Veronique, Akiko...why didn't he choose any of the hugely popular and established artists out there (many of which are named above) that could have kept him in the public's consciousness a lot more? The result of recording with the likes of Streisand or Ronstadt could have been absolutely magical but it's like he shied away from these more obvious choices.

Once again, Stephen, your question is one which has been in my mind's eye for quite some time.
I am glad you brought it up.
Especially knowing (now) that Donna Summer was a big Carpenters fan, who else among the great vocalists, who
were already established names, could have done justice to Richard's songs and kept him in the public eye ?
Was anyone asked ? If asked, did they decline ?
(as , apparently happened ,when no one wanted to produce LP Passage).
Rita Coolidge singing All Time High, We're All Alone, I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love, Fool That I Am....
and others, which were in a Carpenteresque mode, she would have been an obvious choice.
And, what about collaborating with fantastic Helen Reddy, she had it !
(Still does, but, apparently no longer--as of 2015-- performing.)

Especially knowing (now) that Donna Summer was a big Carpenters fan, who else among the great vocalists, who
were already established names, could have done justice to Richard's songs and kept him in the public eye ?
Was anyone asked ? If asked, did they decline ?

I know some artists/producers were in awe of his talents but I'd go as far as saying that for every artist that may have declined to work with him for that reason, there are probably many more that would have jumped at the chance.

Could you Imagine a collaboration with Burt Bacharach, Richard and all of the the ladies mentioned? I loved the Painted By Memory album that Burt did with Elvis Costello in the 90's. Doing something like that with Richard and any or all of the ladies mentioned in this thread would be spectacular!

Turning the question around,
I ask,
Why agree to the ridiculous duet (with Kathy Lee Gifford)
of the short Carpenters' medley on the 1994 Regis and Kathy Lee
Program, which was very difficult to watch --not to mention--to hear.
Am I alone in this observation ?

I ask,
No, you are definitely not alone. That was simply horrible.

I ask,

That was truly painful...

I like pretty much everybody mentioned here -- no one beats Karen for me, of course. Olivia Newton-John, Linda Ronstadt, and the ABBA ladies (Agnetha and Frieda) I listen to frequently. I also like Dionne Warwick, Ella Fitzgerald, Mama Cass, Stevie Nicks, Barbra Streisand, Carole King, and even a bit of Anne Murray. I definitely think I would enjoy Helen Reddy, Melissa Manchester, and The Corrs as other members. :D
If you like female singers and are open to a bit of an Irish sound, you'd probably like The Corrs, and possibly Sharon Corr and Andrea Corr's solo recordings as well. All 3 are different in sound. I learned about The Corrs here from Harry a couple years ago. It's a great time for Corrs fans as they have just come back together after 10 years to perform as a band.

As far as 70's music goes, have you listened to Carole King's Tapestry album yet? Carly Simon and James Taylor you may like too, for a softer sound.

We'll school you well in the 70's here on this forum. :wink:

If you like female singers and are open to a bit of an Irish sound, you'd probably like The Corrs, and possibly Sharon Corr and Andrea Corr's solo recordings as well. All 3 are different in sound. I learned about The Corrs here from Harry a couple years ago. It's a great time for Corrs fans as they have just come back together after 10 years to perform as a band.

As far as 70's music goes, have you listened to Carole King's Tapestry album yet? Carly Simon and James Taylor you may like too, for a softer sound.

We'll school you well in the 70's here on this forum. :wink:

Haha! I appreciate that. :)

I worked with somebody who liked Carole King and played her quite often -- and I liked her before, but hearing her more increased my liking. I think my favorites at the moment are "I Feel the Earth Move" and "So Far Away" (in terms of the whole of Tapestry, haven't played it). I understand she did duets with James Taylor, but I can't recall them off-hand. Carly Simon is good too... I hope I'm not so vain for forgetting her! :D I like female singers but I like a lot of male singers, too -- Don Henley, Steve Perry, the Wilsons (Beach Boys), the Gibbs (Bee Gees), John Denver, Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka, Paul McCartney and Steve Miller.

Haha! I appreciate that. :)

I worked with somebody who liked Carole King and played her quite often -- and I liked her before, but hearing her more increased my liking. I think my favorites at the moment are "I Feel the Earth Move" and "So Far Away" (in terms of the whole of Tapestry, haven't played it). I understand she did duets with James Taylor, but I can't recall them off-hand. Carly Simon is good too... I hope I'm not so vain for forgetting her! :D I like female singers but I like a lot of male singers, too -- Don Henley, Steve Perry, the Wilsons (Beach Boys), the Gibbs (Bee Gees), John Denver, Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka, Paul McCartney and Steve Miller.

Carole King and James Taylor's Live at the Troubadour is a wonderful tribute to their eternal friendship and mutual admiration of their talents. Please don't miss it! Here is "You've Got A Friend".

A day late, but ,
Happy Birthday to Olivia Newton-John !
"Ranking Her Essential 67 Songs, A tribute to an icon"
#41. HEARTACHE TONIGHT (1980) –
"From her “Hollywood Nights” special, Olivia takes on The Eagles classic with help from … are you ready?
… Toni Tennille, Tina Turner, Linda (Peaches) Greene, Karen Carpenter, Elton John, Andy Gibb, Cliff Richard, and a biker gang."

More:
http://www.newnownext.com/happy-birthday-olivia-newton-john-ranking-her-essential-67-songs/09/2015/

A day late, but ,
Happy Birthday to Olivia Newton-John !
"Ranking Her Essential 67 Songs, A tribute to an icon"
#41. HEARTACHE TONIGHT (1980) –
"From her “Hollywood Nights” special, Olivia takes on The Eagles classic with help from … are you ready?
… Toni Tennille, Tina Turner, Linda (Peaches) Greene, Karen Carpenter, Elton John, Andy Gibb, Cliff Richard, and a biker gang."

More:
http://www.newnownext.com/happy-birthday-olivia-newton-john-ranking-her-essential-67-songs/09/2015/

Happy Birthday Olivia!

Karen looked to HAPPY! I am glad she and Olivia were friends. Thanks so much for pointing this out.

Back
Top Bottom