project "Richard Carpenter Is Back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuraSYayoi

A Japanese producer, Tachikawa is planning project "Richard Carpenter Is Back".

He worked for Richard and Akiko.

I read an interview with him, he was talking about the project. According to his plan;
Richard would come to Japan. - realized!!
Solo album
International tribute album "Carpenters Around The World Vol. 1 Asia"
Richard Carpenter & Super Friends at Expo
World Tour

I visited his sites, and knew;
He visited Richard's house this April. He listened to Richard's song sung by Petula Clark.

Media mix project including records, live and a book
Tachikawa will produce the tribute album.
Richard came to Japan in the evening of 14th.
Meeting at Shabu Shabu restaurant. (Looks like the restaurant wasn't nice.)
Tachikawa asked Julian Lennon to perform "Ticket to Ride" with Richard's arrangement. Richard told Tachikawa that John told them that "Ticket to Ride" was the best cover.

Richard appeared on 2 TV programs. And several interviews (which I haven't read yet).
Richard left Japan by 4 p.m. jet plane on 19th.

( While I was searching for Tachikawa on the net, I was surprised that a man whom I met a couple of times asked him to produce another Expo music a few years ago. Eric Clapton and Janis Ian(SP?) performed new songs on Expo album. Olivia Newton-John's and the Corrs' songs were included.
Eric Clapton asked Tachikawa how they would make the song popular. Tachikawa suggeseted Clapton to make SMAP sing the song. The leader of SMAP co-hosted a TV program where Richard performed years ago. And another member was actor for Miseinen
The song became #1.)

Sakura

Today Tachikawa's site was updated.
Meeting about the book was held last Friday. He called it
:love: Carpenters Treasure Book. :love:

Sakura

This is something I never would have expected, I am still so suprised that this is all happening. I'm still not totally convinced that it's his daughter that will be the new duo.

So where can we buy this book?

Chris, I have a feeling the book will be in Japanese. So much for our reading it!

If I remember correctly, the "duo" won't be introduced until the end of next year. I still have a hunch that it's Mindi. Did anyone notice during the video of Richard and Mindi that, at one point, Richard takes time from looking at the keyboard to scan the audience while Mindi was singing. His gaze is "all at attention" and he seemed satisfied with what he saw. Perhaps, he was gauging audience reaction???

All this is so darn much fun!

Marilyn

...if it is Mindi, I can't see the 'pop' parallel from the little bit that I have heard of her, vocally. (not that is has to be commercial pop in sound)...

From Stephen's link
an NHK TV documentary, a book chronicling the duo's amazingly successful career
TV documentary, too!!?

If a book is good, it may be published as English edition as well, like we had Japanese edition of Coleman book.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
So where can we buy this book?
Tachikawa's books are available at Amazon.JP. When it will be published, probably you can get it at Amazon, HMV.JP or Tower.JP. They ship oversea.

About 5 years ago I read an interview with Akiko, she told the interviewer that Richard mentioned a family band.
When? If it was when Richard produced Akiko, only Richard's first daughter was born. When he came to Japan for the first solo concert in Japan, Kristi was only seven months old or so.

Sakura

Since this will all be happening in 2009, don't you think Richard waited on purpose for that specific year? Think 1969, 40 years is 2009, significant for Carpenters to re-launch?

Since this will all be happening in 2009, don't you think Richard waited on purpose for that specific year? Think 1969, 40 years is 2009, significant for Carpenters to re-launch?

I think it will all come out in the wash soon enough. I don't think Richard planned 6 years ago when he started his Christmas album, that he was aiming to keep it on the shelf until 2009, but it has worked out well with the timing.

I have 3 questions though:

1. Do we think the vocalist is Mindi?
2. Are we sure it isn't going to be Mindi?
3. If this is 'Richard Carpenter Strikes Back', then why is Richard peddling the Carpenters' old songs around Asia with a tribute cover album, when he hasn't had any tangible success with other Asian artists thus far? Or maybe this is a marketing ploy that is meant to launch him back into the market and I'm underestimating what the Japanese hold in a name, even if that named person isn't even on the record?
4. Why is he allowing himself to be produced by a Japanese production team + producer, when he himself is a more than capable - and perfectionist/demanding - producer himself?
5. Who's paying for all this and which label is it going to be associated with? Richard as a solo artist doesn't have a recording label nowadays, does he?

Ok that was five questions :)

..and those are 5 good ones I might add....I've been thinking the same ideas. He is a well established producer so why the need for a producer to produce him? Will Richard be moving to Japan? Will this launch and recordings be done in CA and marketed to Japan only?

Chris, I doubt Richard will be moving to Japan. He has kids still in school in CA. He has many roots there.

As for the producer, well, I just don't know either. He's certainly able to produce for himself. However, he may have a Japanese producer as part of the "deal". One can only wonder.

Marilyn,
who just had trouble getting on the official website.

About these questions, here is my take, since I am from the heart of Asia:

Q:
"If this is 'Richard Carpenter Strikes Back', then why is Richard peddling the Carpenters' old songs around Asia with a tribute cover album, when he hasn't had any tangible success with other Asian artists thus far? Or maybe this is a marketing ploy that is meant to launch him back into the market and I'm underestimating what the Japanese hold in a name, even if that named person isn't even on the record"

A:
The Carpenters (and the songs they are famous for) are huge in Asia, in general - apart from Japan, they still sell well in Hong Kong, the Philippines and in my home country, Singapore - in fact, at one of the CD stores in the mall I go to regularly (cos my gym is there), their albums are always in the 'best sellers' rack - and I am not talking about hits compilations only - you will find some of their studio albums there, like Close To You, Now and Then, As Time Goes By and come December, the Christmas Collection. If something as novel as an album of Carpenters' classics covered by Asian artistes is released, they will, believe you me, fly off the shelves here, especially if the correct artistes are selected.
Richard doesn't even have to be named as producer - just combine Carpenters hits + top Asian artistes, and you will have a hit album (of course, TV ads and other forms of publicity will help - for instance, ABBA Gold is now 13x Platinum in Singapore, because ever since it was released way back in the 90s, it has popped up in TV commercials over the years. And they recently had to reprint copies of the Singapore edition of Yesterday Once More double CD because they went out of stock-also advertised on TV).

Q:
"Why is he allowing himself to be produced by a Japanese production team + producer, when he himself is a more than capable - and perfectionist/demanding - producer himself?"

A: I can think of several reasons - to produce it himself might not make it too much of a departure from the arrangements of the actual Carpenters album, so input from an Asian producer might inject some fresh slant or interpretations into it, and make it sound more interesting and palatable to the Asian market. Also, he might not want to spend too much time in Japan, because of his family at home. One can imagine that if he were to work with Asian artistes from the various countries, they might not all be available to meet up with him to record during one specific period, and so he might have to stay in this part of the world much longer, or face the inconvenience of flying back and forth many times...[read:jet lag!].

Well, this is wishful thinking, but I hope there is some representation from Singapore in it - I am thinking Jacintha, or one of our 2 winners of Singapore Idol!

Calvin

Calvin R Murty said:
Well, this is wishful thinking, but I hope there is some representation from Singapore in it - I am thinking Jacintha, or one of our 2 winners of Singapore Idol!
Calvin

I had not even thought about Jacintha, good pick Calvin. I have one song from her, "A Song for You" and it's a very cool jazz version, smokey, night club feel of which I like. Didn't she do a whole CD of Carpenters hits? I've always wondered how Karen would have sounded in this flavor of style on this song that Jacintha does, just piano and vocal, slower tempo, jazz feel. I really like the instrumental piano in the middle of the song on Jacintha's version of A Song for You. Who could have thought you could make A Song for You 8 and 1/2 mins long. :)

Didn't she do a whole CD of Carpenters hits?

I think she only performed one or two songs out of about 3 songs with vocals on the Jazz tribute to the Carpenters by Jeremy Monteiro (sp?) entitled "A Song for Karen". The rest of the tracks were Jazz instrumentals. Jacintha would be a good choice for apart from her talent, she is a Carpenters fan and has cited Karen and one of her vocal influences.

To everyone reading this: Have a good week ahead :)

best,
calvin

If Jacintha will sing, I hope she sings more uptempo version than before. :tongue:

newvillefan said:
Richard as a solo artist doesn't have a recording label nowadays, does he?
Didn't Richard mention something like he is with A&M when he was talking about Christmas album on NHK Carpenters Forever?

Tachikawa was a music critic, now like an event planner. His music project for the Expo (Clapton-joined-one, Save the Earth spread into Asia. So he has worked in Asia for these few years, (Looks like he visited the U.S. more before.) That's why he would like to start in Asia, then worldwide, maybe.

In an interview with Tachikawa about this project, 40th anniversary was mentioned. He must think of Richard's come back for 40th. He visited Richard this April. Richard agreed, but he might be not sure if he can finish the album for this holiday season. He was reported here that he was getting well, wasn't he?
(Traci finished high school with her and her friend's singing.) When Mindi will graduate school, it may be good timing for another Expo in Asia.
We still don't know who is the singer, though.

Sakura

Shania Twain regards Karen as a huge influence. She was unceremoniously dumped by her husband and producer a while ago. She is an alto and gorgeous? The similarities continue. Am I reaching too far? "I Can Dream Can't I".

So what does this mean?

Official site, go to Fans Ask Page:

Contrary to what you have read, Richard is not looking for a professional partner.

Richard has made it a policy to not listen or review any unsolicited music.

So what about all those many newspaper articles where he was saying he was looking for a partner? I'm confused. So maybe it is Mindi after all?

I mentioned a family band. :wink:

I felt articles like message game. So was the article that Mike posted to Press Conference thread right?

Carpenter finds his voice, 25 years after Karen

Peter Alford, Tokyo correspondent | October 16, 2008

IT'S taken time, but Richard Carpenter has found another alto singer and
yesterday, on his 62nd birthday, the survivor of legendary 1970s pop duo the
Carpenters relaunched his recording career.

The newfound singer, whom Carpenter declined to identify at this stage, will
grace his Christmas album next year.

But he insists she is not meant to replace his sister Karen, whose death at
the age of 32, 25 years ago, finally ended the on-off attempts to revive
their formerly stellar career as the Carpenters.

"I don't want anyone who remotely sounds like Karen other than her being an
alto and being able to sing," he said.

As with the Carpenters, he is the "behind the scenes guy": he does the
composition, arrangement, music and background vocals, but no lead singing.

"So I've been looking for one who could inspire me, who would be able to cut
these things; I've been looking for years, so now I think I'm ready to go."
Following Karen's death in February 1983 of complications from her long
struggle with anorexia nervosa, her brother finished one solo album in 1987.

The Carpenters, who produced 11 albums and 15 No1 hits including Close to
You, We've Only Just Begun, Yesterday Once More and Top of the World, had
hit the skids in the late 1970s.

Alongside Karen's mounting problems, Richard had sought treatment for
sedative addiction.

These days, ruddy-featured and fit, looking and sounding like a cheerful
veteran golf pro, Carpenter says he believes Karen, who was his best friend
and musical supporter, would be happy he's writing songs again.

And she would have been happy that he was relaunching on his birthday in
Japan, "the most loyal, the most supportive" market for Carpenters music.

"Once they like you here, they like you forever. Karen was, and I am,
honoured," Carpenter said.

Backed by a Japanese team led by producer Naoki Tachikawa, Carpenter plans
to produce and release in the second half of 2009 an album, Carpenters
Around the World, covers of Carpenters songs mostly by Asian pop stars.

Next December he will release the Richard Carpenter Solo Christmas Album,
featuring mostly his new songs, in a traditional pop vein, and his mystery
alto singer.

Having spent the second part of his life with the family he and wife Mary
Rudolph began in 1984 and tending to Carpenters legacy projects and the back
catalogue, Richard Carpenter says he leads a happy life, needing only to
work for enjoyment.

But he doesn't expect ever to fully overcome Karen's loss.

"I miss her in any number of ways and I've always been in awe of her talent
but I soldier forth, you know.

"I have a terrific life and a lovely family and she would have loved to have
seen the kids."
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24502795-26397,00.html

Sakura

An article in the Daily Express newspaper last week strongly suggested Claire dela Fuente will be Richard's new partner, claiming they had been working hard in the recording studio preparing new material.

I'm not sure if this report is wholly accurate but I guess Claire would be the logical choice for Richard's new partner.

...hmmm. PPO had mentioned Claire in her email to me but I was hoping for..well, keep the music going Richard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom