project "Richard Carpenter Is Back"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry said:
OnlyYesterday.jpg

Harry, that's pretty much the true-life colour of my copy, closer to that garish deep pink as opposed to red. Thanks for posting :)

Just changing positions on viewing it on my LCD monitor will change the perceived color. As I look at my screen from above, it looks more pinkish. Look at it from below and the red turns into what I see when I look at the actual CD.

So with the vagaries of monitors, scanners, and the like, there's no way to give a true representation of something's actual color. And it's another reason why old CRT monitors are better at representing color than these flat-screen wonders we all seem to love.

Plus, I believe that each individual person perceives color differently anyway. That's why you have people arguing about whether something is blue or purple. The object is the object and isn't changing, yet you'll get one person swearing it's purple and another swearing it's blue.

So it could be that though you and I may be looking at the same object, each of us interprets the image differently. And it also could just be the differences in printing runs, inks and dyes used, and even, as Mike B. suggested, fading due to solar exposure.

Whatever. At least we now have a picture of the German ONLY YESTERDAY on the Web!

Harry

Hi All,

Ah.... at last copy of German Only Yesterday compiliation on A&M corner .. :wink:

I did purchase German release in mid 1990's as import copies were allowed into various UK music stores & my copy was PINK ....very similar to this picture .... :laugh:

Understand there may have been several editions of German release & possibly different colours for main cover , it was probably a good seller , Carpenters best in Germany since Beautiful Love Songs in 1980/ 1981 ?

Peter UK

I also have this CD Harry posted, it's a german pressing and mine is more deep pink color, not a true red. I also found it kinda unsual that on the back there is a notation next to each song that was remixed indicating a (remix) Instead of listing the tracks with no indication makes me believed that someone really listened to this compilation and knew ahead of time the song was really a remix and not an original. I also thought it was a nice treat to see color photos inside the jacket, small yet there they are. Of course the back photo inside jacket (in b/w) is that controveral photo that always seems to get flipped, isn't it? lol

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Of course the back photo inside jacket (in b/w) is that controveral photo that always seems to get flipped, isn't it? lol

You mean this one?

Flipped
carp108.jpg

Corrected
kcrc.jpg

That's the one, yeah it almost looked like the same outfits. lol similar poses. That's a great photo by the way Stephen.

The cover photo of that CD was the photo used for the promo poster on the Gold 35th Anniv Edition, I bought that poster in perfect condition, rolled so it has no creases at all, I framed it at a local frame shop and it hangs on my wall. (I took the photo from the floor to avoid glare even though it does contain non glare glass.)

thestitch said:
Chris, I doubt Richard will be moving to Japan. He has kids still in school in CA. He has many roots there.

As for the producer, well, I just don't know either. He's certainly able to produce for himself. However, he may have a Japanese producer as part of the "deal". One can only wonder.

Marilyn,
who just had trouble getting on the official website.

GUYS

Be careful with the word "producer". In this case, the producer may not be very hands-on at all - it could be that this person will be the funder and risk taker (which would make sense to Richard these days perhaps)

The artistic side may be still in Richard's hands, albeit with some constraints budget-wise. And maybe some constraints artistic wise.

The great hits were not with RC as producer -

Bruno said:
Thanks for saving my reputation, Harry! :)

Bruno

Hey, I think I pleased everyone with that scan. Those who want to see red, see red. Those who want to see pink, see pink. Everybody's happy!

Harry

If we use the word of Universal Music Japan, I think Tachikawa is 'project coordinator' like they called Shun when the black box sets were released.
I made this thread because many reporters from foreign countries misunderstood the press conference and reported. (I don't know why they misunderstood press conference in English.) I thought they were not reporters, they just played message telling games.
Richard had to put the message to correct them to his site.

The photo, which Chris mentioned and Stephen posted, may be always wrong oversea, I have correct photos in the mooks published in Japan, in the middle of '90s and about one year ago. The other photos have Richard Carpenter Archives credit, but this photo doesn't have copyright credit.

Sakura

Some of us know another group member has yellow "Close To You" album.
Where and when was it released?

Do you have it? Is this rare?

Sakura

SakuraSYayoi said:
Some of us know another group member has yellow "Close To You" album.
Where and when was it released?

Do you have it? Is this rare?

Sakura

That would be me :)
I bought it in Singapore in 1979. Have to check the cover to see where it was originally manufactured.

It might be quite rare as I have not seen any yellow ones other than the one I bought. Later, when I saw other copies at the shops, they were all the grey ones.

best,
Calvin

:sad: I looked at the Fans Ask page of the official Carpenters website today and it says this:

"Contrary to what you have read, Richard is not looking for a professional partner.

Richard has made it a policy to not listen or review any unsolicited music."

Unfortunately, these comments are several years old! No one has updated the website in quite awhile. There wasn't even a holiday family photo this last Christmas. Maybe his kids argued that they were too old for that sort of thing. Disappointing!

Marilyn

Why would Richard bother with a professional partner he does not currently know, at his age?

He is clearly enjoying some work with his daughter and I think he might just plug along on those lines to see what happens.

thestitch said:
Unfortunately, these comments are several years old! No one has updated the website in quite awhile. There wasn't even a holiday family photo this last Christmas. Maybe his kids argued that they were too old for that sort of thing. Disappointing!

Marilyn

Those updates were just made recently to Richard's site. Although they haven't made any major changes, they have updated a few things off and on, and this addition (mentioned by song4u) was made shortly after the press releases regarding his "search" for a partner back in October.

With the recent add on the "fans ask" page about Richard NOT looking for a musical partner, I have a question. Why and how do erroneous quotes and messages about him teaming up with someone for a "comeback" get printed or announced? Even so far as to name a possible singer, Mandy, and speculation of others. It sounds like there will NOT be a comeback, just maybe a tribute album and the continuing possibility of the ever elusive RC solo Christmas album. Your thoughts?

I would imagine the remarks were taken out of context. It was from a Japanese press conference and may have even been translated by the time it reached American media. Who knows.

The source was English. The press conference was held at The Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan. The speech and Q & A was in English (with simultaneous Japanese interpretation).

I think English speakers/reporters had misheard Richard's words. Richard spoke in ENGLISH!!

Some reporters heard Richard's words and saw Mindi (or heard about Mindi) and they must think that Richard has been looking for a lead singer for years and finally he found Mindi's voice.

Other many reporters may have changed order,

He has been looking for a partner. He is ready to go.

--->

He will come back. He is looking for a partner.

In Japanese article it was reported something like;

Karen's voice is immortal eternally. The influence that her voice gave musical pieces is immeasurable. So I'd like to choose carefully who will sing new songs.

And sometimes mentioned that Richard was talking about Mindi's voice.

In article from Australia;
Carpenter said that he was hoping to find another singer to take the lead in his new songs.

Another from Australia;
The newfound singer, whom Carpenter declined to identify at this stage, will grace his Christmas album next year.

But he insists she is not meant to replace his sister Karen, whose death at the age of 32, 25 years ago, finally ended the on-off attempts to revive their formerly stellar career as the Carpenters.

"I don't want anyone who remotely sounds like Karen other than her being an alto and being able to sing," he said.

As with the Carpenters, he is the "behind the scenes guy": he does the composition, arrangement, music and background vocals, but no lead singing.

"So I've been looking for one who could inspire me, who would be able to cut these things; I've been looking for years, so now I think I'm ready to go."

In article from New Zealand;
Carpenter, who turned 62 Wednesday, said he still prefers singing duets and is looking for a female vocalist to partner with in his upcoming projects.

U.S.? & U.K.;
Richard Carpenter, of the Carpenters, says he is ready to make a comeback.
All he needs is a partner.

From Stephen's link;
Richard Carpenter, Carpenters
Time: 2008 Oct 15 12:30 - 14:00
Summary:

Professional Luncheon,
Richard Carpenter,
Carpenters

Language:

The speech and Q & A will be in English with simultaneous Japanese interpretation.

Description:

Richard Carpenter is back. Best-known as one-half of legendary pop-music duo Carpenters, the 62-year-old American musician has chosen Japan as the launch pad for a career revival after a long period spent out of the media spotlight.

Carpenter's career relaunch -- aka "Richard Carpenter Strikes Back" -- includes the re-release this December of a Carpenters Christmas album, a tribute album featuring cover versions of Carpenters songs performed by artists from various countries, an NHK TV documentary, a book chronicling the duo's amazingly successful career (which was brought to a sudden end by the tragic death of Karen Carpenter in 1983), a solo album (his first since 1998) and a concert tour.

Carpenter will speak at a luncheon at the Club on Oct. 15, accompanied by his daughter Mindy and producer Naoki Tachikawa, who is now working with the musician. Be sure to be on hand to hear Richard Carpenter, who helped create some of the 20th century's greatest pop music, outline his new and exciting projects.

Sandwich: Fried prawns,..

(Sounds right, other than spelling of Mindi. I think Tachikawa wrote it and it was translated.)

If the second Australian article is correct, Richard was ready to go. So it means that he had already found a new lead singer, doesn't it?

Sakura

SakuraSYayoi said:
If the second Australian article is correct, Richard was ready to go. So it means that he had already found a new lead singer, doesn't it?

Sakura

That's the way I remember all of this coming about - that he wasn't LOOKING for anyone - he had already FOUND some unnamed person to sing his songs.

Harry

So--- based on all of this and the "fans ask" website quote, we can guess that either he HAS someone to work with or he does not.... and he is NOT looking. Still at square 1. We will just have to wait and see.

Sakura has always been an accurate and informed poster on this site. (Thank you Sakura! :wave: )

So this really is a puzzle.

I have submitted some questions to the official website re: this topic. I have no idea if/when they may be answered, but if they are, I will share them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom