• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Public Broadcasting Exclusive: Carpenters The Complete Singles Release

Not to fear folks - - it usually takes 4-10 weeks for a pre-release market to get product. I heard two new tape transfers yesterday are astounding for the cd set. I'd expect the product closer to the end of October/start of November as this was an early pre-release for our SF friends.

I like this either way: "due to its popularity"! That made me more willing to wait. K & R are popular still, at least on PBS! Great! What else could you sell to them?

Not to fear folks - - it usually takes 4-10 weeks for a pre-release market to get product. I heard two new tape transfers yesterday are astounding for the cd set. I'd expect the product closer to the end of October/start of November as this was an early pre-release for our SF friends.
Well I live in SF, and I got the same notice. No early delivery for me, and the same with Jacques Pépin's new series. Premiered here a week earlier but no earlier delivery that I could discern. Still great to know the greats!

So... I guess this new DVD will be similar to these previous releases but with updated material? If so, I'm excited! Can't wait to get mine!

covercna.jpg

Carpenters+-+Close+To+You.jpg

Applied for a credit card just for the purpose of getting this collection. THAT'S how much I must have this. $180 is a bit too much for me to shell out all at once, so if this is the only way...it's the only way. Again, THAT'S how much I must have this. Love ya Karen & Richard.

I was lucky enough to get the Japanese Singles Box and have to say I was - and still am - over the moon with it. Such a special collection and the detail on the little 3" CD sleeves was amazing. I don't feel the need to shell out for the US version. The Japanese releases always seemed that little bit more unique to me.

Gary's mention of the short version of "Mr. Guder" on the flip side of A&M 1236 has me wondering if the new compilation will faithfully recreate that! And what about the CSG processing?

7. Merry Christmas Darling (A&M 1236, 1970)
8. Mr. Guder (A&M 1236, 1970)

Just placed my order...complete package...receipt says 4-6 weeks. 6 weeks is first week of November. I'll keep posted.

I am just curious to see what it will be! I do not have any singles, but I have a couple comps. What will it be? A New flow? A new touch?

I just wanted to ask...last week, I ordered the full package, but there has been no confirmation on my credit card statement. I was just wondering if anybody else was having the same issue. Or maybe if there is a hold until the actual release???????????

You guys need to show a little patience. This isn't a standard release - it's a premium made specially for PBS. There are still 30 days left in October, the first month that it was promised in. Relax. It'll all work out.

Harry

Do you know Harry why the link is no longer working? I didn't order my set yet as I wanted to wait until it was being shipped and read your review.

Thanks

Scott

I suspect it is because the program to which the premium is attached is not airing on PBS or KQED at present. I believe their website for contributions and premiums is set up to reflect whatever it is that they are CURRENTLY promoting. The Carpenters special airing last month on KQED was a one-off - a special occasion aired early because KQED was spearheading the effort, and the producers tipped us off that it was happening. The actual special on the full PBS network isn't due to air until much closer to Christmas, hence the inclusion of the CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT disc in the CD package.

I just got two more "sorry it's delayed" emails from KQED this morning. In my mind I'm picturing them frantically searching for the shortened "Mr. Guder" master... :D

Harry

I suspect it is because the program to which the premium is attached is not airing on PBS or KQED at present. I believe their website for contributions and premiums is set up to reflect whatever it is that they are CURRENTLY promoting. The Carpenters special airing last month on KQED was a one-off - a special occasion aired early because KQED was spearheading the effort, and the producers tipped us off that it was happening. The actual special on the full PBS network isn't due to air until much closer to Christmas, hence the inclusion of the CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT disc in the CD package.

I just got two more "sorry it's delayed" emails from KQED this morning. In my mind I'm picturing them frantically searching for the shortened "Mr. Guder" master... :D

Harry
I got a sorry it's still delayed message too. If I've learned anything as a Carpenters fan it's patience. In the end, it's usually worth the wait.

At least with this set the Single version of "The Christmas Song" will be in a Carpenters CD, rather than appearing on a multi-artist album, as it did from 1987-1998 on the "Time-Life Treasury Of Christmas".

So... I guess this new DVD will be similar to these previous releases but with updated material? If so, I'm excited! Can't wait to get mine!

covercna.jpg

Carpenters+-+Close+To+You.jpg
I have the MPI version of the video. I would like to know what they have added to the video Are they going to play the movie during the telethon? I want to order it but just can't swing it right now. This will be the first time I haven't been able to afford something. I hope it will end up on ebay sometime>

Hi all:

Just a quick message to let you know that all is in process. I wanted to share that I just heard reference copies of the three cd's and they sound great. They exist !!

Shipping usually takes a couple weeks (to get the product to the public tv fulfillment house, and then from the fulfillment house to the local stations), so please be patient with KQED as this really was a one-off preview screening in advance of the national airing.

The national day and date for the show's official release is December 5th on most public tv stations (check local listings). Also a heads up - - a few local stations may also run it around Thanksgiving Weekend, in addition to the 12/5 national date. I'll try to post a list of confirmed stations in about 3-4 weeks.

Thank you all for your support of this project for public television.

TJL, in terms of the video quality, what should we be expecting? I'm assuming, from what I see on my 1997 DVD, that the stuff that was shot and edited in 97 was done on either Digital Betacam or DV, but then the older material from the 70's and 80's, are we talking about 2-inch Quad or 3/4-inch? I can tell some of the promo videos were done on film, but what are the other older videos from?

TJL, in terms of the video quality, what should we be expecting? I'm assuming, from what I see on my 1997 DVD, that the stuff that was shot and edited in 97 was done on either Digital Betacam or DV, but then the older material from the 70's and 80's, are we talking about 2-inch Quad or 3/4-inch? I can tell some of the promo videos were done on film, but what are the other older videos from?

A lot of different video sources, some or all of the above - Jim Pierson is the best person to ask.

I haven't heard of any significant shipping delays - - it should start arriving around the 4th of November or so last I heard.

Back
Top Bottom