Richard/lectures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

I would enjoy a book penned by Richard that is cram-packed with all the deatails, processes, studio secrets, How Karen prepared, how those overdubs are ALWALYS perfectly in sync and perfect pitch to boot? The hardest song to record, which song took the most takes to get right, How many leads are there and outtakes? Where are all of the over-dubs enshrined? How they worked together, methods, what karen ultimately did as Associate Producer on a number of albums? The time and twists and turns that beget a tune, etc...? I was thinking of a series of lectures, cleverly written and expressive at the same time. I would MOST definitely suggust to you guys, to check out Julia Sweeney's DVD "God Said Ha!" She is a former Sat Nite alumni and has since traveled a very touching and heartwarming road. A life riddled with tragedy and her over-all committment to move thru it in a most dignified manner. Very touching, very inspiring. Puts things in proper perspective. She convey's info thru seriousness and a gentle spin of humour...where appropriate. All this to say, I believe if Richard would possibly embark on a similar tour it could have a cathartic and healing experience for all. If nothing else... someday pick up Julia Sweeney and experience her impact. A perspective to be commended upon first take. The corrolation? Generally, in format and focus, Rich could really do something for everyone ever touched by musicianship, struggles, loss, grief, and the brighter promise of a new tomorrow. The Julia Sweeney closed w/o audience precipitation as Julia had completely enshrouded us in her message...so unselfishly spoken. Something of this caliber could garner a Tony nomination and perhaps a win.

Reflect here Richard,

I, as well as the many friends that you have here and abroad, would offer you full support on you journey...acommpanied by a new piano score or not. Your choice, naturally. Pardon me,suddenly the marketeer popped out and I envisioned RC smokin' up the charts.

Best to all,

Fealing humbled and grateful for Julia's quest,

Jeff

Interesting topic and one I couldn't resist commenting on!

As far as chronicling the Carpenters history is concerned, I think as time goes by, it's more and more important that something gets documented about the history of the Carpenters as a recording unit.

ABBA were magnificently covered by Carl Magnus Palm in his book 'The Complete Recording Sessions'. He tirelessly notated every single recording session, but fleshed out with stories behind each song, annecdotes and memories from the four members of the group and their musicians and technicians. The end result makes it a fascinating read, because it's not just all technical info, but backed up by all the other detail that goes with each song.

I think this would be great for the Carpenters, because you could get input from people like Joe Osborne (played on almost every single session so he was there), Tony Peluso, interweaved with interview comments from Karen at the time. :)

The only trouble is, no-one is getting any younger, and the longer it's not attempted, the vaguer memories get! Richard is in his late 50s now and in semi retirement, so who knows, in another few years will probably slow even more in terms of productivity. :cry:

The point is, if Richard doesn't want to do this himself, let someone else! Carl Magnus Palm had to persuade Bjorn and Benny to even collaborate, but in the end they ended up congratulating him in the foreword to his book. As long as Richard just collaborated by giving his input, someone else could do all the hard work of putting it all together.

Unless you've read the ABBA book, it's hard to describe just how much potential there is in a project like this. I just hope someone does it sooner or later so it's captured forever for posterity and future generations to read once the people who were actually there are long gone.

Sorry if that sounds like a depressing rant, but I thought it was worth a mention! :angel:

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom