Richard's Christmas CD Due this season?

Do you think we will ever hear Richard's solo Christmas CD?

• Yes, it will come out

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No, it will sit in the vault

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

It's that time of year when labels are gearing up for their holiday releases. Any news if 2007 will finally be the year we'll get to hear Richard's long delayed solo Christmas CD?

A&M must have spent money on the initial recording sessions with Petula Clark at Capitol studios in Hollywood. You would think they would like a return on their investment.

Do you think it will come out this year, or will it continue to sit on the shelf?

I'm thinking this will sit it out at least another year.

Harry

I can see where an artist needs to be "in the mood" to work on a Christmas album...but if it doesn't come out legitimately, it will leak onto the internet at some point.

It's as if he's toiling at making the most perfect Christmas album in the history of the universe, which of course is impossible because it's already been done by Herb Alpert. (That was a joke, don't flame me, Carpenters fans!) :D

I tend to agree with Harry -- if it's not announced by the end of this month, it's likely not going to be a 2007 release...but stranger things have happened, it could come out as late as October and still enjoy decent sales. But you'd think we'd have heard something by now, if that were the case.

No flame throwing from here...but I playfully disagree....and say that you must be confused....hmmm....the Carpenters CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT album is the best Christmas album of all time! Herb Alpert's is a close second!
In fun and with cheers!
Patrick

Actually in my mind they're tied for first place. I play both every year, depending on whether I'm in a TJB mood or a Carpenters mood! Only 4 months until time to dig'em out again.

The Optimist in me says "Yes, it wil come out..."

I'm sure this Richard/Petula Clark thing will come to be, otherwise "another delay" won't really disappoint me, either, should it not...

Dave

I asked Richard and his reply was:

'Yes, the Christmas album is still on the cards but hardly in the works, due to me. Get excited come fall of 2008'.

x

I don't think RC cares about anyone's "hopes" because he knows we'll all buy it whether it comes out in 2007, 2008 or 2028.

I think Richard is just plain enjoying life, and good on 'im. He's likely doing his projects for love of music (and not money...or not JUST money, anyway), so I think it's pretty cool that he can putter away at them while he focuses on his family.

Of course, I'd love to see additional Carpenters tracks, a remix project, or what have you, but I'm pretty happy with what he's already given us. I'm not a huge Christmas fan, but I'll pick up this album whenever it comes out -- to enjoy, add to my collection, and support Richard and his work.

...Too bad, though, that a 2008 release date will end his pattern of releasing solo albums in years that end in "7". :wink:

I have to agree with Ed: "Uh...not all of us..."

IF it is ever released, I hope RC only includes his own material and no out takes or re-masters featuring KC. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to hear a new CARPENTERS offering with lead vocals by Karen! BUT I think it's time RC stands alone and makes his own success and living (and not off of his sorely missed departed sister). I think RC may feel this way too which is why it's taking so long for the album to come out. He knows the project will still stand in the KC shadow. He and his family do not need the money. But can he handle another commercial disappointment? Does he want to read the reviews and comments about how much Karen is missed when this project is supposed to be about him and his return to recording? Should he have to?

My $20 will be better spent as a donation towards anorexia research or a school music program in Karen's name.

Mr. SPAC said:
IF it is ever released, I hope RC only includes his own material and no out takes or re-masters featuring KC. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to hear a new CARPENTERS offering with lead vocals by Karen! BUT I think it's time RC stands alone and makes his own success and living (and not off of his sorely missed departed sister).

I really don't agree with this. If Richard wanted to make it on his own he would have done so long time ago....Time album was a start but it kinda fizzled out after that...It's not like he is putting albums out every year or every 5 yrs of his own and at his age I highly doubt he is using this new Christmas album to make a "comeback" Richard needs no comeback. On the contrary I feel we don't see and hear enough from Richard over the past years, (yes I am grateful for all his Carpenters releases with bonus/extra unheard of tracks) when you listen to albums such as Akiko City of Angels, you realize how much you miss hearing the magic Richard can create and yet for me too much time passes between productions for him. Akiko's CD for me...just speaks Carpenters all over it from the tracks to his backing vocals to songs on it that I can honestly invision Karen having sung the lyrics to. It's projects like this that I wished he had done more of and still can.

But look at Piano Composer etc...there is not one vocal track on it from Karen and yet I don't feel it was a huge seller and actually kinda went unnoticed except for fans. Personally I rarely ever give it any spin time except for Karen's Theme. It's a nice album and I think it would have meant alot more to me had I been able to tie it into a concert experience performed by Richard that I could have attended.

Personally I will be a little let down if I don't hear at least 1 track of Karen on this new Christmas album, even a backing vocal of Karen would work for me, but of course I will be first to get it when released regardless. :D

Richard undoubtedly had the same instinct when Karen died as Led Zeppelin did when John Bonham passed away.

If Richard wanted to continue being on top of the heap, he could have probably found a new singer to perform his arrangements. As it was, the Carpenters were in the sunset of their glory days anyway, so he probably figured it was best to concentrate on "maintaining" the catalog, which he has done very well and very profitably.

I doubt there'll be any appearances from Karen on the Christmas album. Richard also told me when I wrote him that '[there'll be nothing new released with Karen's vocals]. So sorry. The Christmas album, however, will be something to make Karen proud, featuring my third daughter Mindi, along with me and another guest alto or two'.

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom