• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Save The Sunlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

This great Herb Alpert/ Lani Hall tune from the "You Smile" album should be re-released or re- recorded. It rings so true now that the ecology has been so harmed.

I thought a newer version could merge with Sting's "Fragile" to send a timely message...

bob knack said:
There are two versions of "Sunlight." Lani did one and Herb did one.

Wow Bob..you are sharp-forgot that Lani did it solo!!

I am partial to the Herb version,
which included Lani...but as a mix with Sting vocals of "Fragile", perhaps Lani's version.

The more I think about it, the more I like the concept :)

I think I'm partial to Herb's version. But both are excellent. Fragile was a high spot in an otherwise, just my opinion, forgetable CD.

Back in the late '90s, sometime after I joined up with A&M Corner, I happened to be perusing a Billboard Magazine or some other trade magazine at work and spotted an ad 'for broadcasters only' to pick up a free CD by sending them your station's mailing address. One of the CD's listed had the song "Save The Sunlight" by Herb Alpert. So, knowing that it wasn't available on a commercial CD, I decided to go ahead and give it a whirl.

I sent them my name and address at the station amd sure enough, a week or so later, in the mail I got a CD. And it did indeed have Herb Alpert's "Save The Sunlight" as featured on YOU SMILE-THE SONG BEGINS.

The only problem is it was sourced from a rather noisy LP. My own needledrop sounded way better.

Still, it's a great song, and both versions are in reality backed by "the T.J.B." since the members of that band backed up Lani on her album, too.

Harry

Looked it up once - the guys who wrote this song were with The Association and Atlanta Rhythm Section, and wrote for many other artists too....couldn't find the story behind the song, if there is one.....

Perhaps this song would be very befitting, once we assemble any kind of benefit to "save "something" currently at stake"...

Oh, the days when we were much more re-active, responding more quickly & actively to disasters & troubling events, going on at home...!

Yes, ecologically speaking, this song could be re-worded & redone as "Save The Gulf Coast" (perhaps w/ Herb & Lani as possible participants?)...

Dave

One of the comments on the Youtube link above says:
I am/was one of the writers of this song, and it's the only success I had in the business. The other two writers were hugely sucessful pros. Haven't heard this in a while.

...which doesn't really add up; a lot of Atlanta Rhythm Section tunes were written by "Buie - Cobb - Lee." And, this song wasn't exactly a huge hit. (Although being included on two Herb Alpert produced albums would be a feather in anybody's cap, hit or no hit.)

I haven't heard this version in a while; thankx for the link. I still like the YOU SMILE version best, but this was better than I remembered it. Another example of "maturing" ears being more appreciative.

Interesting... I don't recall seeing it covered by any other artist.

But it would definitely be a timely song right now no matter how you feel about the issue at hand with BP...

--Mr Bill
the BP Spill was an inside job to give the gov't more control of more industry! The Overton Window

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
...The guys who wrote this song were with The Association and Atlanta Rhythm Section, and wrote for many other artists too...

Mike Blakesley said:
...A lot of Atlanta Rhythm Section tunes were written by "Buie - Cobb - Lee...

Who were writers, BEFORE they were known as The Atlanta Rhythm Section... Hence they were also musicians, backing up such groups in the Atlanta-area, such as Dennis Yost & The Classics IV and even briefly had their own group who made one album as The Candymen...

I remember being shocked, after discovering ARS to see the band members names as writers on my Classics IV '45's...

(And I'm now trying to imagine "Save The Sunlight" sung w/ a Southern accent, too!) :goofygrin:

Dave

You guys ever play the LP version of the ARS song "Imaginary Lover" at 45RPM to make it sound like Stevie Nicks? It's uncanny.

Steven J. Gross said:
*Great song..ARS was great, too bad my vinyl looks like a train rolled over it..lol

Sorry to hear about your platter. There used to be a Rhino Records Store in Westwood and they would sell vinyl out side on tables on the sidewalk. I was able to pick up EVERY TJB release including "Warm" ALL sealed. Not one of those LPs cost me over a dollar!

Boy do I miss that store. BTW the "sealed" ARS LP I bought there still has the original Rhino price sticker on the shrink wrap - 25 cents!

CherryStreet said:
Steven J. Gross said:
*Great song..ARS was great, too bad my vinyl looks like a train rolled over it..lol

Sorry to hear about your platter. There used to be a Rhino Records Store in Westwood and they would sell vinyl out side on tables on the sidewalk. I was able to pick up EVERY TJB release including "Warm" ALL sealed. Not one of those LPs cost me over a dollar!

Boy do I miss that store. BTW the "sealed" ARS LP I bought there still has the original Rhino price sticker on the shrink wrap - 25 cents!

I used to go there..it was fun. I really miss Tower Records too, when they closed up, to me, a real era ended. I could always pop in a Tower until midnight and browse or buy, it always made a bad day better, you know what I mean ?

I could never just "browse" whenever I walked into Tower on Sunset :D

We do have Amoeba now which I think is actually a better store than Tower.

CherryStreet said:
I could never just "browse" whenever I walked into Tower on Sunset :D

We do have Amoeba now which I think is actually a better store than Tower.

I have to get over there-not been there yet, I heard Paul McCartney did a live appearance there! :)

This thread is rather cryptic, as Sting just performed "Fragile" on the Larry King Oil Disaster Telethon, and...
According to AP- the last song Michael Jackson performed at rehearsals on the eve of his passing was "Earth Song"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom