• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Save The Sunlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the Herb and Lani version is best. The special ingredient in this version's arrangement is the great Pete Jolly adding his special touch on the accordion. This version was also released as a 45 which I bought in 1974 and it brings back a lot of good memories.

What I really like about Herb and Lani’s version of “Save the Sunlight” is that it is such an unpretentious duet between a loving couple. Unlike duets today where two people practically scream at each other and try to outdue each other with vocal acrobatics; Herb and Lani simply sing the song together. I also concur with lj about the nice bit of accordion playing.

Mike

remains one of my favourite songs, and while I doubt they'll perform it in the upcoming tour, I suppose I could hope (but then I'd love to hear several songs that Lani did - Come What May, the tune from the Sergio recent album, and perhaps a tune or two from Brasil Nativo.

Looked it up once - the guys who wrote this song were with The Association and Atlanta Rhythm Section, and wrote for many other artists too....couldn't find the story behind the song, if there is one.....
Here's the story behind the song....I am Doug Lee, I just joined this site. I wrote Save The Sunlight in 1971 (first song I ever wrote), and shortly thereafter my band (from Birmingham Al) got to do some demos at Studio One in Atlanta, the studio owned by the very successful songwriter Buddy Buie and Atlanta publisher Bill Lowery. My band didn't perform STS, but we had a little time left after recording our songs, so I demoed STS. Buddy listened, loved the song, but asked if he could re-write it. Since I had only ever written a few songs, and he had written a whole bunch of hits, I said yes. He and his writing partner JR Cobb wrote a new bridge and new lyrics for the second verse, then recorded it on an album by Dennis Yost and the Classics Four. That album stiffed, but STS wound up being heard by Herb, and voila, there's the story. It was the only success I had as a writer.

One of the comments on the Youtube link above says:

...which doesn't really add up; a lot of Atlanta Rhythm Section tunes were written by "Buie - Cobb - Lee." And, this song wasn't exactly a huge hit. (Although being included on two Herb Alpert produced albums would be a feather in anybody's cap, hit or no hit.)

I haven't heard this version in a while; thankx for the link. I still like the YOU SMILE version best, but this was better than I remembered it. Another example of "maturing" ears being more appreciative.
I am the "Lee" in Buie-Cobb-Lee, and that's the only song I wrote with those guys. Or anyone else, for that matter!

This great Herb Alpert/ Lani Hall tune from the "You Smile" album should be re-released or re- recorded. It rings so true now that the ecology has been so harmed.

I thought a newer version could merge with Sting's "Fragile" to send a timely message...
Love your idea, as I am one of the writers of Save The Sunlight.

Hi Doug, and welcome to the A&M Corner.

We'd all love for Herb to re-release "Save The Sunlight", both versions. They've both been buried for far too long, and theoretically they're in the cue for at least a download release on Herb's new site.

Harry

That's great to have the "untold story" behind "Save the Sunlight," thanks Doug.

Years ago we had a visit from Goran Fristorp, co-writer (with Hal David) of another Herb Alpert vocal -- "I Belong."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom