• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio on the TONIGHT SHOW 2/2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A&Mguyfromwayback

Industry Member
Don't forget to watch Sergio on Jay Leno Thursday the 2nd (if you can) - I'm happy to report the song he's doing is not "Yes, Yes, Y'All"......

JTCW

Who can we expect to see in Sergio's band line-up tonight? Gracinha? Bill Cantos? Will.I.Am???

--Mr Bill :wink:

Master Paul / Jeromack LcZ said:
...Oh, Lordy, I gotta suffer through ROSEANNE before Sergio?!

Yeah, I know, I gotta be up at FIVE! :freak: :mad:

But, Hey, I at least made it through the Super Bowl hype...! :goofygrin:

Dave

...Looking forward to Sergio--and The Big Game, online!:cool:

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
Don't forget to watch Sergio on Jay Leno Thursday the 2nd (if you can) - I'm happy to report the song he's doing is not "Yes, Yes, Y'All"......

JTCW

Too bad- I love that song, and Mas Que Nada...

Let me preface this comment by saying that I love the new CD and have been a fan of Sergio for about 40 years now. But, out of 14 tunes (not including Yes, Yes, Y'all, which A&M Guy told us that it wouldn't be) from the new CD, someone picked Surfboard for this appearance??? A great TV opportunity and no Gracinha?

I agree, Steve - "Surfboard" works well on the CD with its "wall of sound" and pumping production values. Live, it kinda fell flat. I really missed Gracinha too - and except for Bill Brendel, None of Sergio's 'group' was there - no Mike Shapiro and no Meia-Noite! :sad:

Sergio Live! Takes me back! I think I was too young for the last live performance in a venue...
I do, very warmly, remeber, the Talk of the Town appearance, televised on BBC2 early 70s and an appearance on the LULU show (must've been 73/4 as Gracinha and Bonnie were in those 2-piece sateeeen catsuits singing Where Is the Love and, I believe, Put a Little Love Away. I believe Lulu stuck her beak in on one of the numbers, alas!

I missed it!
Yeah, sleep overrides watching Sergio on TV.
Was it a Black Eyed Peas featuring Sergio?
How was it?

Almost "Bittersweet"...

I am guessing that Sergio has been on the Tonight Show numerous times with Johnny Carson. Was this his first or second time with Jay Leno?

My "Pollyana" thought is that with this exposure (even though somewhat in a shadow of Black Eyed Peas), it may get the younger crowds curious and start looking for his CDs... Also, with all the sampling with the first album, it may be wise for SOMEONE to release it domestically in the US.

Excellent idea, Trevor. The ultimate compliment to "That Heat" would be airplay for an unencumbered Lani.

And speaking of sampling, does anyone recall the performer and the song a few years ago that sampled both the B'66 and Joni Mitchell "Chelsea Morning"?

I was disappointed overall. The song didn't have any Sergio "hooks," in fact the melody was pretty much buried. I agree it's not a strong live tune. I was also hoping for an interview or at least A BIT of information about Sergio for the uneducated masses. [sigh]

I've seen Sergio on the Tonight show numerous times. I'm not sure if he's been on since Leno took over though.

MasterLcZ said:
I agree, Steve - "Surfboard" works well on the CD with its "wall of sound" and pumping production values. Live, it kinda fell flat. I really missed Gracinha too - and except for Bill Brendel, None of Sergio's 'group' was there - no Mike Shapiro and no Meia-Noite! :sad:

Are you saying that Michael Shapiro WASN'T on the show or are you saying that he wasn't on the new cd?

I did see Sergio's appearance with WILL and I will tell you exactly who played last night.

WILL(rapper/vocals)
Sergio Mendes(piano)
Leo Nobre(Bass, backup vocals & yes Leo is Sergio's bassist.)
Bill Brendle(keyboards)
Michael Shapiro(drums)
Ron Powell(percussion- a PLEASANT SURPRISE to see him back.)
An Unknown Trumpeter- Sorry, I don't know his name
4 Male Dancers( 2 Breakdancers & 2 Capioera Dancers.)

True, Gracinha, Meia, & Kleber weren't there.
Major Letdown. :sad:
Actually, Gracinha does sing background vocals on Surfboard on the cd.So, it's strange that she wasn't there.

Meia is in Brazil, and that's why he wasn't there....I think his brother was one of the capoeira (sic?) dancers in the middle...Gracinha and Kleber simply weren't there because this song didn't call for them. All the more reason to have done another song - I think it's a waste that there weren't at least a couple of moments where it featured the keyboard (other than the intro). They barely even showed Sergio on camera! (Except for a few cutaway quick shots)...

Yeah, they should've had one less guest (or shortened Rosanne's spot), and put Sergio on for an interview and one more tune.

Mike Blakesley said:
Yeah, they should've had one less guest (or shortened Rosanne's spot), and put Sergio on for an interview and one more tune.
Leno hardly ever interviews the musical guest, let alone has them do a second tune. They're usually relegated to the last five minutes of the show.

As far as I'm concerned, Sue Johannson (the sex educator) was far more entertaining than that rapper anyway! :rolleyes: I kept wishing that he'd shut up so that I could hear Sergio play! :sad:

I suppose it was an attempt to appeal to a young audience, who buy the majority of CDs nowadays, but I can't help but wonder how many "older" people won't buy the CD because of what they heard last night.

Is the whole album like this (rap/hip-hop), or just this one song?

Murray, there are only three songs that are NOT rap - "Berimbau- Consolacao" with Gracinha and Stevie Wonder (the only "classic" Sergio cut), "Please Baby Don'T" by John Legend (okay, but nothing special) and "Timeless" with vocals by India.Arie (lovely).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom