• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio on the TONIGHT SHOW 2/2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MasterLcZ said:
Mike Shapiro - Yes on the CD, Not on the show.

Yes, Michael Shapiro was on the show last night.I saw him at The Blue Note in November and the gentleman on the drums last night looked EXACTLY like Mike.

MasterLcZ said:
Murray, there are only three songs that are NOT rap - "Berimbau- Consolacao" with Gracinha and Stevie Wonder (the only "classic" Sergio cut), "Please Baby Don'T" by John Legend (okay, but nothing special) and "Timeless" with vocals by India.Arie (lovely).

I would have to augment the above "non-rap" list:

"E Menina" - a classic Sergio Mendes-type track if there ever was one

"Lamento (No Morro)" - another one that sounds like it could have been a classic Brasil '66 or '77 track, largely instrumental with scat-type vocals

Harry

Like many my age I just coulld not keep my eyes open long enough to see the show (what with working 6AM to 6PM and all)...

Did Sergio not get to sit on the couch and chat with Leno? Disappointing if that's the case, but not surprising -- Leno rarely talks with his musical guests. It's starting to sound like I didn't miss much, unfortunately.

--Mr Bill

No, neither Sergio not will.i.am got a turn on the couch - and as you say, that's become pretty much the pattern with Leno - relegating the musical act to the very end of the show, and then walking out to thank them as the end credits roll.

I recorded the show to my DVR hard disk, skipped right through to the end, and watched the 4 minute performance. All I missed was seeing it in High-Def - which might have given more screen space to Sergio with the widescreen format.

Harry

Mr Bill...of IRS Corner said:
...Like many my age, I just could not keep my eyes open long enough to see the show (what with working 6AM to 6PM and all)...

Yes, sadly Sergio was on DEAD LAST! A change from where he would'a been on first! Goes to show the "impact" his stuff has nowadays, versus what came out 40+-Years ago! "Sergio Men-Dez", as Jay called him, seemed to be there to "play whatever the song sampled" and had a mic by him for providing some back-up vocals...

...Not so "Brasiian" Bill said:
...Did Sergio not get to sit on the couch and chat with Leno? Disappointing if that's the case, but not surprising--Leno rarely talks with his musical guests...

Sadly, that's what I was expecting and the show to be about...! :sad:

The "Sex Educator" and Rosanne unfortunately got most of the attention, and I'm sure the parents watching their show finally got to wake their kids up when Sergio came on... (Not like THOSE TWO had anything "worthwhile" to say...) :rolleyes: :D

Bummer said:
...It's starting to sound like I didn't miss much, unfortunately...

--Mr Bill

Ya Didn't! :mad: :nut:

A&M Fan from Wayyyy... said:
...I think it's a waste that there weren't at least a couple of moments where it featured the keyboard (other than the intro)... ...Sergio barely even shown on camera...! (Except for a few cutaway quick shots...)

Yes, and how disappointing it was to see the "Thanks, Sergio!" by Leno, at him Off-Camera, at the end! :cussing:

Dave

#108 - not bad for an album that doesn't even come out for ten days (and from an artist who hasn't released anything for nearly ten YEARS). And to put the issue to rest, yes, that truly is Mike Shapiro - his hair is much shorter than it used to be....

Hi Papa Perry.

Ron Powell hasn't played with Sergio in several years. In recent years he's played with Kenny G. & Madonna(her DROWNED WORLD tour.).When Ron had left Sergio the first time, Ron had asked Chalo Eduardo if he would be interested in filling in for him & the rest is history.I believe Ron Powell had replaced Johnny "JC" Conga in 1978 0r 1979.Did you also know that Ron Powell is from Philadelphia?

Cortnee said:
Hi Papa Perry.

Ron Powell hasn't played with Sergio in several years. In recent years he's played with Kenny G. & Madonna(her DROWNED WORLD tour.).When Ron had left Sergio the first time, Ron had asked Chalo Eduardo if he would be interested in filling in for him & the rest is history.I believe Ron Powell had replaced Johnny "JC" Conga in 1978 0r 1979.Did you also know that Ron Powell is from Philadelphia?

Cortnee, that is correect. I first met Ron in 1983, when we lived in the same townhome complex. At the time he was playing with Sergio and his own band called LA Samba. It featured many of the other performers in Sergio's band. I would go see the band play almost every night until he went to work with Kenny.

Ron is on contract with Kenny, so while he may join Sergio for performances like the two last week, he probably won't tour with him.

Yeah, Ron was born in Philly, Sergio always took joy out of announcing that when Ron played with him. His little brother is Mike Powell, 1991 World Champion Long Jumper who holds the current Long Jump record.

I am hoping Ron plays with Sergio at the Hollywood bowl June 25th. Ron and his family will be coming by for dinner in 2 weeks, I will see if he is planning on doing the gig.

Papa Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom