Strange Sounds Heard at the End of a Song

The song "In My Time Of Dying" by Led Zeppelin (from 1975 "Physical Graffiti") in which the producer is sneezing & singer Robert Plant says "cough". Then Jimmy Page does a licking of the guitar while the man is mumbling & then someone says "I don't want to listen to that" & the other man says "It's only a structure" & the door closes. :laugh: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The background vocals on "Tristeza" by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 get more and more out of tune as the fade progresses......one of the girls (Lani? Karen? another singer chiming in?) apparently just can't hear herself and gets a little too out of the pocket....it always made me laugh....

At the end of Side 2 of the late John Denver's song "Spring" from "Rocky Mountain High", the man says "There were, there were some good things in there". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Nobody's mentioned "DeShannon is back" at the end of Carpenters' "Boat to Sail" from "A Kind of Hush", 1976. '
On the same album, you can also hear one of the band members say, "Hey Karen! Hey Richard" at the end of "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do". Might be Doug Strawn.

One of my favorite fadeouts is the "Yesterday Once More Reprise" at the end of the Carpenters NOW AND THEN album. The way the song starts to go into psychedelic vocal efx, echoes and weird sounds is reminiscent of the way pop music changed in the early 70s.

Richard did a similar thing at the end of "Your Wonderful Parade," running the sound of the marching drums through some kind of phase shift or something. (Somebody help me out here) Very psychedelic!

[EDIT: Fixed some typos]

Yeah! Actually, the phase sound on 'Your Wonderful Parade' miraculously appeared on the master tape. Nobody could figure out why, but they kept it in there anyway!

That phasey sound is caused when two channels, not quite at the same speed, but with the same audio information, are combined. As one catches up with the other, you hear the phased frequencies increase to the peak, and after it passes the other channel, it descends.

Harry

As the late John Lennon said in the song "Mind Games" from 1973, "I want to make love not war, I know you heard it before, I want you to make love..." & that's it. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Also from "Mind Games" from 1973 if you hear it closely as John Lennon is saying in the song "Meat City": "Yes i'm going to China, aaalll right.... come on, whoh, who is that, who is that, who is that, WHO IS THAT, why are their doing those strange......things". That song is also the flip 45 Apple single to "Mind Games". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Ah, here's another one by John Lennon... "I'm Steppin' Out" is the song...

The last lyrics as the song fades, go from sung to spoken, as John goes:

"Gotta gotta gotta get out
I'm just stepping out babe
Just for a while
Ain't been out for days
Gotta do it tonight
Gimme a break, gimme a break
I gotta get out
I'll be in before one (Or two)
(Or three?) (--Four?)
"​

Dave

How 'bout the violins kicking up a storm at the end of Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds' "Hallway Symphony"???

Always crank up the volume to also hear the piano staccato underscoring the "ABC Recording Studios Symphony", conducted by Jimmie Haskell, just for the piano intro- of the next song "One Good Woman" to get me to quickly turn the vol. back down...

Dave

NP: H, JF & R: "Anna (No Can Do)"; And who plays the accordion on this? If it's not Virgil Webber or Larry Knechtel (whom I've never known to play a "squeezebox") then unless it's any of the three principals, it must be Jimmie Haskell, "sneaking in HIS"...!!! :)

Forgot about this one!! "Brown Sugar" by The Rolling Stones (from 1971 "Sticky Fingers") when the drum finishes & a man says "Yeah"! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Another one, "Everybody Wants Some" from Van Halen (from 1980 "Women And Children First") in which David Lee Roth said "Look i'll pay it for you what the f--k." :o :shock: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

In the song "All My Love" by Led Zeppelin (from 1979 "In Through The Out Door"), the lyric goes "I get a little bit lonely, just standing, just standing up, just stand a little lonely, just a little bit lonely, hey hey, hey hey, hey hey" & fades out. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The song "Don't Bring Me Down" by The Electric Light Orchestra (from 1979 "Discovery"), the door closes like an echo at the end of the song!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The song "Right Place, Wrong Time" by Dr. John (from 1973 "In The Right Place"), the lyric goes "I did a right trick & appeared at the wrong call, my head in a good place & I wonder was a bad f--k (or bad fun), gonna in a bad thing." Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The sound of a door closing is heard at the end of the last song, John Sebastian's "Stories We Could Tell", on which Sebastian plays guitar by B.J. Thomas on the his 1972 album Billy Joe Thomas... But that song has a complete ending...

Dave

I thought this thread is supposed to be about "high points," not just random sounds heard at the ends of songs. Maybe our next Ignore thread should be "Sounds nobody cares about."

Mike Blakesley said:
I thought this thread is supposed to be about "high points," not just random sounds heard at the ends of songs.

Well, I changed the title of this Thread; it's as follows:

Strange Sounds Heard at the End of a Song

Dave

Ok then...in the spirit of the new title for the thread, how about the explosion heard at the very end of the song "Remember" from John Lennon's 1970 album JOHN LENNON/PLASTIC ONO BAND. Thanks, Dave. As always, you keep the "corner" interesting and lively!

The song "Back When My Hair Was Short" by Gunhill Road (which went to # 40 back in June 2, 1973) the end of the lyric goes "Back when my hair was short, I was a white soft sport, only beer parties till three, college appealed to me, eastern philosophy, learning to spend..." & that was the end of the song. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

It is BOTH the single 45 version & album version of "Gunhill Road" (Kama Sutra) which ran 2:39. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

On the Burt Bacharach/Elvis Costello "Painted From Memory" CD (which I love), there's a song called TOLEDO - during the end of the fade, Elvis starts singing a lyric on the chorus that's different than anywhere else in the song. But you don't hear the whole thing because the song literally ends......frustrates the heck outta me......

On the Eagles "The Long Run" album, the song "The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks", guest singer Jimmy Buffett yells out "Pass me that chivas!" Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Back
Top Bottom