Strange Sounds Heard at the End of a Song

"Don't let that Gator bite you on your coat tails...!" sings Jerry Reed at the end of his "Ballad of Gator McKlusky (Everything okey-dokey in the Okefenokee)", which is the theme song for the Burt Reynolds action/adventure film, GATOR, from 1976...

I have a "new" copy of the soundtrack which is a reissue on MCA, and of course, to me, worth having for the Jerry Reed song and more of a must-have for Bobby Goldsboro's "For A Little While", which at under 2-minutes must be too short for it to have been available as a single, hence I had to have it here (And I also bought the flick on VHS, which is good!)...

"For A Little While" is also performed a few more times as an instrumental under different sub-titles by composer Charles Bernstein and sadly the soundtrack is mostly dominated by Bernstein's mindless movie score...

Dave

the Burt Reynolds action/adventure film, GATOR, from 1976...
One of my favorite films! The boat-chase scene is hilarious.

"That ain't no ordinary boat he's got there....got some kind of a damn rocket on it!"

Forgot to mention "When You're Hot, You're Hot" by the late Jerry Reed from 1971 when he says at the end "Yeah, oh yeah Judgey poo" or something like that. :laugh: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I never could figure out what it was at the end of Pete Jolly's Most Wonderful Time Of The Year. Sounds like some sort of "spring" sound...

Dave said:
Bobby Goldsboro's "It Hurts Me" on BLUE AUTUMN and a few compilations it was included on fades away, however on his 23-track GREATEST HITS set on CD, you do hear the song winding down, and having a "complete end"...

Dave

OK, "Voodoo Woman" with all those drum beats throughout the song, which ordinarily fades away, actually ends on the same 23-track set with a "thud"; complete ending there, too...

Dave

At the end of the song "Crystal Illusions" (from the Brasil '66 album of the same name), you can hear Sergio take his foot off the piano pedal. It's very distinct.

Also, I've always enjoyed the last chorus of "Never and no time was there a night like this..." on "For Me" from the Equinox album by Brasil '66. Almost sounds as if Lani and Janis are singing like little girls. The pitch of their voices goes up just as it fades.

Jon

"I step on a dime, it's worth every penny...!" -- Bobby Goldsboro at the end of "Our Way Of Life" the title of the LP he did as a duet with Del Reeves...

Dave

"Oh, I'm gonna miss you, girl...!" -- Mac Davis, at the end of the non-LP '45' version of "Beginning To Feel The Pain", the "bare-bones" organ-driven version, originally issued after his debut album Songpainter before re-recording it with a more "full group" on his Self-Titled album in 1973...

Dave

Gabor Szabo's Blue Thumb contractual obligatory album, Live With Charles Lloyd/Spellbinder, which I believe was recorded/released after Lloyd's A&M album, Waves...

A rather insignificant and perfunctory performance, featuring only four songs; two, per side... ("Spellbinder", "Sombrero Sam", "People" and "Stormy") and a lot of jamming... And without even "fair" sound quality, to boot...

Anyway, a brief snippet of a sax solo (on which the player is, furthermore, unidentified) is heard at the end of the last song, on Side 1, "Sombrero Sam"...

Dave

(Yes, if this album is rather bad, then why is it so short?) :wtf:

Hmmmmmm... How could we have forgotten the dialog between Phil Ochs and "some unknown" at the end of his "No More Songs"????!!!!

?: "Will you be returning..."

Phil: "(...Mumble, mumble...)" (Really can't make out what he says)

?: "But, will you be returning?"

Phil: "(Saying something) I'll probably be in Hawaii..."

Dave

:yawn:

At the risk of starting an "Ignore Spin-off" I'm thinking it may be appropriate to have a topic entitled "Strange posts read at the end of a forum."

:rolleyes:

--Mr. Bill

When George Harrison's "The Concert For Bangladesh" was released, at the end of side 6, someone is saying "Cab boo is blat splat service gentle lay". In the reissue from 2006, it does NOT have it. On the DVD version, it uses a record skipper at the end because they don't tell you who said what!! :laugh: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

At the end of Billy Joel's "Big Shot", it sounds like the guitarist (Mr.) Steve Khan is turning the tuning key on one of the guitar strings as the song fades off...

(At least when I tune my guitar, the strings make that "twangy" sound...)

Dave

Hey, Matt--yeah, I remember that; had that at the end of my '45'...

"I See You!" -- What Pete Townsend says to Keith Moon at the end of The Who's "Happy Jack"...

Dave

Forgot about The Who "Happy Jack" from 1967. Grand Funk (Railroad) song "Destitute And Losin'" (flip side of "The Loco-Motion" 45 single from 1974 as well as the 2003 CD reissue which runs 7 minutes) has a reel to reel tape that spins fast until it ends!! :laugh: The song "Black Diamond" by Kiss (from their 1974 self-titled debut & the last track) has the song with the band going down slow & slow & slow. :o Matt Clark Sanford, MI

And the last song on King Crimson's Cirkus, "Big Top" has the band playing real fast, real fast, real fast...!
confused.gif
shocking.gif

Dave

AM Matt said:
When George Harrison's "The Concert For Bangladesh" was released, at the end of side 6, someone is saying "Cab boo is blat splat service gentle lay". In the reissue from 2006, it does NOT have it. On the DVD version, it uses a record skipper at the end because they don't tell you who said what!! :laugh: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Cab boo is blat splat service gentle lay, huh?

Finally someone just came out and said it. I've wanted to for years.

:!:

Forgot to mention that Grand Funk (Railroad) "Destititute And Losin'" is from the 2003 CD reissue of "Shinin' On" (with the 3-D image). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

On the album version of The Doors' "Touch Me" (but not on the single version), Jim Morrison can be heard singing the words "Stronger than dirt!" over the final four notes of the instrumental vamp at the end of the song.

The 45 rpm mix of the Captain & Tennille's "Muskrat Love" doesn't have a silent run-out groove. If you don't have an automatic changer, it sounds as if the muskrats (as created on Daryl Dragon's keyboard) are chasing each other forever. Even with an automatic changer, it sounds as if they are galloping into the center of the record. Pretty cool, actually.

On the stereo mix of the Beatles' version of "Mr. Moonlight," just as the song fades to nothing, you hear a much higher pitched "Mister Moonlight!" than anywhere else in the song. The mono mix fades before the high note is hit.

AM Matt said:
The song "Back When My Hair Was Short" by Gunhill Road (which went to # 40 back in June 2, 1973) the end of the lyric goes "Back when my hair was short, I was a white soft sport, only beer parties till three, college appealed to me, eastern philosophy, learning to spend..." & that was the end of the song. Matt Clark Sanford, MI
There were two completely different recordings of "Back When My Hair Was Short" by Gunhill Road. The first one, an album cut in 1972, was much more explicit, with overt references to drugs and religion. The hit version from 1973 has many re-arranged and re-written verses, is much faster in tempo and better produced, too. If you ever wondered why the single version fades so fast, the band sang one of the unexpurgated lyrics as it ended. The next line after "College appealed to me/Eastern philosophy" was "Feeding my mind LSD, THC, STP"!

Tim Neely said:
AM Matt said:
...The song "Back When My Hair Was Short" by Gunhill Road...

...There were two completely different recordings of "Back When My Hair Was Short" by Gunhill Road. The first one, an album cut in 1972, was much more explicit, with overt references to drugs and religion. The hit version from 1973 has many re-arranged and re-written verses, is much faster in tempo and better produced, too...

Whoa, I guess I should'a bought BOTH copies of the Gunhill Road album then! One had an extra track so I'm lucky that that's the one I'd found... Kenny Rogers also produced some of the songs, too... (Including "Back When My Hair Was Short"...)

Tim Neely said:
...If you ever wondered why the single version fades so fast, the band sang one of the unexpurgated lyrics as it ended. The next line after "College appealed to me/Eastern philosophy" was "Feeding my mind LSD, THC, STP"...

OK, so that's the copy I had... I remember the "Feeding my mind LSD, THC, STP", reference... Kind'a curious about the "cleaned-up" version, now, but the album it's on, I believe is missing one song...

Dave

When The Doors "Touch Me" & the slogan "Stronger Than Dirt", all 4 members (including Jim Morrison) heard it during an Ajax commercial. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Ray Stevens is known to ad-lib a lot at the end of his novelty songs... Too many there to mention...

Kris Kristofferson also offers a bit of "endless diatribe" fading off at the end of "Rocket to Stardom", the last song on the first side of Who's To Bless And Who's To Blame... (About "his own li'l backyard sideshow"...)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom