• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Summer Dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
I usually do not remember my dreams. I dream vividly, but usually cannot remember them for the life of me. Last evening was an exception.

I had been invited backstage to a Sergio Mendes concert by Gracinha. "Just go in the back entrance and wait for us in the dressing rooms," she told told me. I parked my car behind what appeared to be the back of a large sports stadium/concert hall. As I got out of my car, I could hear the band playing in the distance, as if onstage. The backstage entrance was surrounded by a chain-link fence with green canvas blocking the view within. I walked toward a large gate, opened it and stepped into the outside-backstage area. Ahead of me were a few steps leading up toward the back of the stadium with a sign that read, "Backstage Entrance."

As I started to reach for the doorknob, a golfcart with three "Security Hostesses" pulled up. "Do you have a backstage pass?" the girl driving the golfcart asked. "No," I said. "I am here at the invitation of Gracinha Leporace." "Oh really?" the girl asked. "You need a backstage pass!" With that, she pointed toward what appeared to be a concession stand that issued backstage passes, and get this...it was sponsored by McDonalds! "You can get a backstage pass over there!" she snapped and drove away.

I approached the concession stand. "I need a backstage pass," I told the woman at the counter. "What for?" she asked. "To see Gracinha Mendes," I answered. "I am here at her invitation." "Oh, you are?" she asked in a disbelieving tone. "Yes," I said. "I really am." "OK," she said. "How about if I to back and check with Mrs. Mendes to see if she invited you?" Relieved, I said, "That would be just fine." I followed her to the backstage door. "You wait here," she instructed.

Next thing I knew, Gracinha came out, all smiles. She gave me a hug and said, "Did you get a backstage pass?" "No, I have not obtained one as yet," I admitted. "Well," she said, "let's get you one..." Off we went to the concession stand. "I hope they take ten dollar bills," Gracinha said as we walked toward the booth. She gave them my information. Guess what I got in return? A Happy Meal!

With that, Gracinha and I went backstage. "I have to go back onstage," she told me. "Wait here and we'll see you when we come offstage." As I sat there listening to them sing, I realized they sounded somewhat different than usual. Finally, the show ended and Gracinha joined me in the backstage lounge. "You guys sounded different," I said. "Who were you singing with?" "Marietta Waters," she said. "Marietta!" I exclaimed. "Where is she?" "Oh," said Gracinha. "She went home. She lives four blocks away..."

With that, I awoke! It was morning.

And so, fellow Cornerites, I leave it to you to tell me what this weird dream must have meant. As Astrud Gilberto sang, "I had the craziest dream last night, yes I did..." Boy! I know 'dat's right!! :shock:

Jon

...who believes he has definitely earned the title of Brasil Nut, online...

[psycho-analyst mode on]

And how do you FEEL about this dream?

[psycho-analyst mode off]

Harry
...who'd be stroking his beard, if he had one, online... :)

How do I feel about this dream? Well, let's put it this way: "Sometimes you feel like a Nut, sometimes you don't..." Most of the time, I do -- a "Brasil Nut" that is! :wink:

Jon

My guess is that you must have been eating a Big Mac the last time you were listening to Sergio, or maybe it was Welsh Rarebit...what do they serve on those airliners?

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
...what do they serve on those airliners?

That's easy...we don't serve food on Southwest Airlines (short of a pack of peanuts or a "snack pack"). Must be starvation! :tongue:

Jon

...hungry for an explanation, online...

Speaking of Happy Meals, when my oldest son was little, we went on a vacation to North Carolina, and we HAD to stop at Mac Donald's a lot...and at the first stop, the Happy Meal had a cassette tape called "Bones and the Great Dinosaur Mystery". It had a rap song that he absolutely loved...and he'd breakdance in his car seat to it mile after mile...once, I looked in the mirror, and he wasn't there...he'd "boogied" right out of his carseat, and onto the floor, hanging by his shoes. We had to stop and belt him back in...but that tape was a great babysitter on that trip. Those Happy Meals can really come in handy...

Dan, wishing that there could be a tie-in between Mickey D's and Sergio...like a Greatest Hits CD sampler with a Supersize Value Meal...

Sometimes dreams can be prophetic, as happened in the 19th Century tale of John "Babbacombe' Lee of England, who was wrongly accused of murder. The night before his scheduled execution, he dreamed the scaffold would malfunction 3 times and prevent his death from hanging. The dream came true.
This is the subject of future AOTW by Fairport Convention (BABBACOME LEE SP 4333).
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom